Why all the excitement over the DHT splitters?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks like a hell of a unit..and the price is getting more doable.

At that price point though, I think I would highly consider a super-split with log table, although it does look like a very nice splitter and built really stout.

I can't agree with you on that...

What about the person who just enjoys owning and working with "really good" tools??? Is that person nuts too??

SR

Like I said , the people that go drop big coin on splitters they don't need do it because they can. I like top quality tools as much as anybody but a months salary for a splitter that might let me get my six days of splittin done in five defies logic.

Nobody here needs to apologize for having the financial wear withal to shell out big bucks or the time to commit to building something .. it's just the people who act like a nice little affordable homeowner grade splitter is just not up to their lofty standards make me laugh.

Like I said , the people that go drop big coin on splitters they don't need do it because they can. I like top quality tools as much as anybody but a months salary for a splitter that might let me get my six days of splittin done in five defies logic.

Nobody here needs to apologize for having the financial wear withal to shell out big bucks or the time to commit to building something .. it's just the people who act like a nice little affordable homeowner grade splitter is just not up to their lofty standards make me laugh.

Actually, what you "said" is:
DHT offers a good product at a reasonable price and supports this site and contributes tech, that would be enough for me to consider there offerings.
I think anybody who spends several thousand dollars on a Cadillac splitter for 5-7 cord of personal use wood a year is nuts. I might spend six days a year splitting wood for the next years supply with my old couple hundred dollar junker , all this nonsense talk of cycle time..layout...efficiency...compromise ..is nothing but BS. People who build their own or buy a $4,500 unit do it because the have expendable time or income..I have neither .

I have a problem with that, cuz I'm one of those "anybodys"!

I've never made big money in my life, and I still buy really good tools. I do so because I like them!

I also do it by NOT drinking, smoking , driving expensive car's or wasting any money on other things like tattoos ect...

I'm not nuts, I just like really good tools that in the long run, save me time, money and lots of back breaking work!

SR

Actually, what you "said" is:

I have a problem with that, cuz I'm one of those "anybodys"!

I've never made big money in my life, and I still buy really good tools. I do so because I like them!

I also do it by NOT drinking, smoking , driving expensive car's or wasting any money on other things like tattoos ect...

I'm not nuts, I just like really good tools that in the long run, save me time, money and lots of back breaking work!

SR
I know what I said in both posts and I meant it, anybody who spends $5K on splitter for 6 cord a wood a year is nuts. But I don't hold my opinions as fact like most people around this forum.

You waist money on splitters you don't need and I piss away tons a cash on Off road toys.

Maybe I'm still ok ? I didn't spend 5K on a splitter and I DO have some off road toys! lol lol

BUT, one thing I'm NOT also doing, is to flip flop on my answers!

SR

I got one of the 27 ton DHT splitters. I looked at comparable Huskee's and MTD and cheaper units as well that were 22 ton. Upon looking at the different splitters, reading the tags for warranty and cycle speed etc., I bought the DHT. Cost more than some but it's been one heck of a splitter even if I bought it at a big box store and it is a v/h unit. Wedge on ram, log table, splits placed right in my wheelbarrah, rolled into the wood room with minimal bending over.

I want to finally buy a 22-25 ton splitter. I don't have a budget; meaning I can buy whatever I want...
Tonnage is overrated (and I mean literally).
No price point to meet?? But you don't want to pay for something you don't need??
Well, this is just my opinion... an opinion formed after using all sorts of splitters.
If what you buy don't have fully hands-free auto cycle and automatic throttle control you've done yourself a huge disservice... you've screwed yourself.
Those two things would be my #1 priority... no friggin' way I'd be without them.

I do 30 cords a year. Although I'm constantly looking for ways to make my house more efficient. I'm also constantly adding things to the heat loop. I don't sell firewood, but if I ever come into a steady supply of wood that might change.

I had a Speeco 20 ton H/V for 2 years. I feel like I spent my whole life fighting and then splitting rounds. I hated every minute of it, it sucked, and I dreaded it. Did I mention that it sucked?

I picked up a new TW6 after doing some looking around. It turns out, very, very used TW6's go for about 1 to 2 thousand less then new. They all looked like they've been beaten to death and dragged through the salt for 10 years. Did I mention they were all still getting almost brand new money? So I figured I could look around and buy one new and still not loose that much if I decide to get out of wood heating some day.

Now I enjoy splitting. It's actually fun! Instead of wasting my life hunched over and hating it, I'm blasting through the rounds so fast I needed a conveyor so I wouldn't get buried.

Maybe I'm just trying to "justify" my over spending. Maybe I could've suffered through with the Speeco. Maybe I should've just paid to have natural gas hooked up to the house. Who knows? I'm just some dummy that spent to much on a splitter.

Heck of a deal. Country of origin? Lifan engine but not sure on the rest. Anyone seen or used one?
China I assume. If you look at some of their other splitters you see a lot of similarities to the northern tool splitters. Looks like a lot of the brackets and components came from the same factory.

If the box stores could sell something like that rugged made splitter that would be something to be excited about.

I guess the reason I suggest getting the higher tonnage relates to something a guys told me while I was shopping for a dump truck.
I was looking at a 1 ton chevy with a 10 foot bed and also looking at a Mack MS200. I think the 1 ton would have served my purpose quite well but the guy selling the Mack made the statement, (You can ALWAYS haul 1 ton in the Mack. You can NEVER haul 10 tons in the Chevy...
Bought the Mack and hauled 10 tons more often than I ever dreamed I would.

I have a Northern 37 ton. I couldn't buy the parts to build a comparable splitter, for the same price. I did add a removable table on each side, a winch to drag and set large logs(while vertical) and a jack. While I don't believe the OP needs high tonnage for what he does, the speed argument between a 22 ton and a 35 ton is not a factor. It is only 1 second, so that would save 10 minutes in 600 splits. What happens when the smaller splitter struggles for that second, or longer to get through less forgiving rounds? Sorry, I don't split air. Advertised cycle times are useful in marketing, so you don't have to do the math between gpm's and cylinder volume. They are not measured while splitting.

I've heard Iron and Oak make good splitters too. Never seen one or used one. But they look nice for the money.

I guess the reason I suggest getting the higher tonnage relates to something a guys told me while I was shopping for a dump truck.
This goes both ways. There have been times when we used new equipment more than we expected. There have also been times when I bought something smaller, for 'fill-in' or 'temporary' use, and found that since it was smaller and lighter, I used it way more than I would the larger tool or equipment, due to convenience, where it fit, or for jobs too small for the larger stuff. I guess this is where the '3 saw plan' originated!

As Cmsmoke noted, if the motor, pump, and cylinder are appropriately matched, the cycle times can be pretty similar. But there are lots of splitters out there were they offer a larger cylinder without increasing the other components, and the cycle time drops considerably, so check the specs.

Philbert

Back