Why am I not sold on the Echo TimberWolf?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you do a google search I see them advertised for $299 for local pickup. Surely for 25-30 they can be shipped. That's a screaming deal.

Time for my 2$ worth. I like Sthil. My dealer is awesome. He also sells Echo. One of my brothers had just bought a new 391 Sthil with a 20 inch bar, Sthil chain. After taking advice from my Sthil/ Echo dealer I paid 299.00 + Tax for the 590 and + 20 bucks for the case. They gave me a new file free. When I broke my saw in,,,was done correctly, a few days later my brother showed up with his 391 Sthil. Immediately I felt sick. That Sthil looked so nice compared to the CS 590 whick looked all plastic and cheap.
We began to block out a huge oak I'd already dropped a few days earlier. The 20 inch bar on his saw barely went through so he moved up the tree. My Echo was fitted with a 27 inch bar so I got the bigger pieces and he moved up the tree. It was not long before we were cutting side by side. His saw was just a few seconds faster maybe 10 seconds. Both saws were brand new, both stock. He was expecting to smoke me but failed. In the end he may have gained one block over me. We both were amazed how well the Echo 590 preformed. Sitting side by side his saw looked better. He lifted mine and said it felt lighter than his then commented, your Echo has more plastic than my Sthil that's really about all I can tell, then added that may be why it's lighter. His conclusion was saw for saw he can't see any real performance difference and the Echo was a great deal if it holds up.

After talking to him my other brother bought an Echo 600. Thats two out of 3 brothers who bought a bigger Echo. My brother that bought the Echo choose a 600P and NOT because of price. He's got money, he buys based upon what he likes.

My 590 never fails to start and amaze me all the time.
Mostly, I run a 24 inch bar on it. A 20 on my 029 Sthil. Granted the Sthil is not as big a motor, but the 029 Sthil can't come close to keeping up with the Echo 590.
My limbing saws are 024, 026 Sthil and a CS310 Echo. I paid 200$ for the cs310. Sometimes I think it's a tad small but when clearing small trees a bit to big for my Bush Hogg being light makes me happy.
Amazingly the 026 seems lighter than the 024. At my age (70), I'm working half a day and my 029 is starting to get heavy. The Echo 590 ain't real light but after dropping and bucking the big stuff I go incremental with lighter saws. The 290 then 024, then for the small (4/5) inch stuff the 310. Do I love my 590, ???
Heck yes. It's stock. But serves well. I've NEVER run 50:1 and I always mix my own fuel very precisely. My guess is 90%, of saw problems can be traced to human actions. I'm not a hot rodder and I don't force my saw. I let it do the cutting. When sharpened right it self feeds. But buying used is always iffy. I always recommend buying new if you can. N one can assure you how you will feel about your saw. That's personal, some guys prefer fat women, red cars and think a cigar in their mouth tells the world how cool they are. Good luck

Well as luck would have it had a standing dead pine tree uproot in rainstorms this weekend, it fell smack across a trail I have going through the woods. Went ahead and grabbed the Echo 600p, popped on 3 pulls then started right up. It'd been sitting for months, filled it up with (somewhat) fresh mix, and chopped that tree up quick. Had fun running it.

Well as luck would have it had a standing dead pine tree uproot in rainstorms this weekend, it fell smack across a trail I have going through the woods. Went ahead and grabbed the Echo 600p, popped on 3 pulls then started right up. It'd been sitting for months, filled it up with (somewhat) fresh mix, and chopped that tree up quick. Had fun running it.

Cool! I'm guessing the engine in my 590 must be as powerful as the 600. Here it is with a 27/28 bar. Oils good cuts great. It don't seem to know this bar is that big. A 27/28 inch bar is as big as I'll ever need. Most time the big bar is hanging in the barn since a 24 inch seems to be more practical for the size timber we average here. Love the Echo 590
Timberwolf.

Attachments

• Mybigsaw.jpg
    Mybigsaw.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 21
I'm waiting to buy a used Echo of some sort. Either a 500P or 590. For the redheaded stepchild they are compared to Stihl and Husky the used ones sure aren't priced that way. The way you hear about Echo you would think you could get one for a Poulan price but they are priced right up there with the rest used.

If I cannot get a used 590 for less than a used 361 or a 500P for less than a 261 then I am not playing with Echo.

Nice, I didn't know they could run a bar that big, mine still has the 20" that it came with. Trying to upload some pics from today...

NAdFyis.jpg

nI6P4SN.jpg

Time for my 2$ worth. I like Sthil. My dealer is awesome. He also sells Echo. One of my brothers had just bought a new 391 Sthil with a 20 inch bar, Sthil chain. After taking advice from my Sthil/ Echo dealer I paid 299.00 + Tax for the 590 and + 20 bucks for the case. They gave me a new file free. When I broke my saw in,,,was done correctly, a few days later my brother showed up with his 391 Sthil. Immediately I felt sick. That Sthil looked so nice compared to the CS 590 whick looked all plastic and cheap.
We began to block out a huge oak I'd already dropped a few days earlier. The 20 inch bar on his saw barely went through so he moved up the tree. My Echo was fitted with a 27 inch bar so I got the bigger pieces and he moved up the tree. It was not long before we were cutting side by side. His saw was just a few seconds faster maybe 10 seconds. Both saws were brand new, both stock. He was expecting to smoke me but failed. In the end he may have gained one block over me. We both were amazed how well the Echo 590 preformed. Sitting side by side his saw looked better. He lifted mine and said it felt lighter than his then commented, your Echo has more plastic than my Sthil that's really about all I can tell, then added that may be why it's lighter. His conclusion was saw for saw he can't see any real performance difference and the Echo was a great deal if it holds up.

After talking to him my other brother bought an Echo 600. Thats two out of 3 brothers who bought a bigger Echo. My brother that bought the Echo choose a 600P and NOT because of price. He's got money, he buys based upon what he likes.

My 590 never fails to start and amaze me all the time.
Mostly, I run a 24 inch bar on it. A 20 on my 029 Sthil. Granted the Sthil is not as big a motor, but the 029 Sthil can't come close to keeping up with the Echo 590.
My limbing saws are 024, 026 Sthil and a CS310 Echo. I paid 200$ for the cs310. Sometimes I think it's a tad small but when clearing small trees a bit to big for my Bush Hogg being light makes me happy.
Amazingly the 026 seems lighter than the 024. At my age (70), I'm working half a day and my 029 is starting to get heavy. The Echo 590 ain't real light but after dropping and bucking the big stuff I go incremental with lighter saws. The 290 then 024, then for the small (4/5) inch stuff the 310. Do I love my 590, ???
Heck yes. It's stock. But serves well. I've NEVER run 50:1 and I always mix my own fuel very precisely. My guess is 90%, of saw problems can be traced to human actions. I'm not a hot rodder and I don't force my saw. I let it do the cutting. When sharpened right it self feeds. But buying used is always iffy. I always recommend buying new if you can. N one can assure you how you will feel about your saw. That's personal, some guys prefer fat women, red cars and think a cigar in their mouth tells the world how cool they are. Good luck
Check out the 590/600 thread here
Muff modded pull the limiters and retune wakes these saw's up.
I ran a 24 full comp often with mine
In hardwood.
But i void warrantys right off the bat
Most don't

I really wanted a 501p but ain't gonna happen this year. Then I keep seeing posts about ported 490's being as good or better.

Any tooth ta dat?

I'm waiting to buy a used Echo of some sort. Either a 500P or 590. For the redheaded stepchild they are compared to Stihl and Husky the used ones sure aren't priced that way. The way you hear about Echo you would think you could get one for a Poulan price but they are priced right up there with the rest used.

If I cannot get a used 590 for less than a used 361 or a 500P for less than a 261 then I am not playing with Echo.

I got a cs 490 reconditioned this was my best one had to be a floor model not even any sawdust under clutch cover... seems about the same saw as the cs 500p except the handle and a few other small things....you might wanna try hitting your local depots weekly.... i know we had a ton around here after hurricane irma.....

Attachments

• 27750549_10212294910071376_7805705220787413656_n.jpg
    27750549_10212294910071376_7805705220787413656_n.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 16
Who did you ship thru? Last saw I sent to Miller Mod thru the Post Office cost me $45 and took 2 1/2 weeks. I ship another saw I’m driving 25 minutes to a FedEx ship Center. I here it’s quicker and way cheaper.
It was FedEx. I don't remember how long it took. An 036 and 359 showed up to pick up the work load while it was gone. Nice having people around that trust you with there saws.

Around here you could pick up a new in box 590 for the price of a used 036 let alone a 361.

I really wanted a 501p but ain't gonna happen this year. Then I keep seeing posts about ported 490's being as good or better.

Any tooth ta dat?
The 501 is the same saw with around 30% more power out of the box. No reason a ported 490/500 shouldn't run as good if not better then a stock 501. Iv thought about selling my 490 to pick up a 501 but getting it ported just makes more sense to me.

The 501 is the same saw with around 30% more power out of the box. No reason a ported 490/500 shouldn't run as good if not better then a stock 501. Iv thought about selling my 490 to pick up a 501 but getting it ported just makes more sense to me.

So how does that 490 cut with that lo pro 3/8s 16 inch bar on it?

i would like to see a both stock or cut with all of them and see if there was that much difference....since you have the 490 have you cut with the 501p?I always like to find out first hand....and if you have was there really 30 percent difference?

Don’t know about James but on my modded 490 I’m running .325, .050, 72dl, 18”. Anybody that tries it is impressed, even the guy down the road that thinks Stihl is the Mecca of Saws.

just muffler mod and readjusted?

Don’t know about James but on my modded 490 I’m running .325, .050, 72dl, 18”. Anybody that tries it is impressed, even the guy down the road that thinks Stihl is the Mecca of Saws.

I was asking because i think it was james that posted he was going to try it out with 3/8s low pro.... I think he posted a pic with a poulan bar and said he was going to try that combo out....I like how fast my cs 400 cuts with 3/8s lo pro... i do have some .325 16 inch Nk woodland pro bailys bar and chain combos that should fit the cs 490...i may have an old echo bar from a cs 440...18 inch buried some place.....glad to hear it pulls the 18 .325 good i figured it would rip with an 18 inch....I may dig through my pile and try it for myself....I think it was james?

Latest posts

Back