Why are flippy caps hated?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jeff, the video was done as a joke....

Nik, that's good. I was drunk last night. It was Canada Day eh. LOTS of rum eh. Then I had to work today. Plus I only watched a little blip of the video. Then I did the ####### name calling thing eh.

I think I might have a rageahol problem. I suck.

PS, its friday and I lefty work early so I'm on rum 3 now....

If Stihl had never changed the design of their caps we wouldn't be having this debate.

They changed to the flippy cap, and by and large it presents more problems over time than the screw cap ever did.

It took over five years for the screw cap on a training saw to get buggered, multiple users, heavy handed trainees...finally got a hole in it.

The flippy cap CAN have issues straight away, getting that extra twist in it before you get it seated, so you then have to get a hand full of oil to wind it back...or miss the fact and get a leg full of oil, or worse not get the gas cap seated properly...OUCH!!!

You have to make sure you don't overfill the oil tank with a flippy cap, 'cause it won't seat, or you think it did, them pop, glug off it comes just as you pick it up... with a screw cap you just wound it down and 'splooch', wipe up the oil and carry on.

I have a combi can that has a spot for a scrench between the oil and gas cans, so I'm never without one when filling the saws...so that issue is a non-starter.

So, I have a few more minor things to check when working, or make sure that the groundies check...minor things I've learned to deal with, but could well have done without...:dizzy:

Dang, this thread took off quick. Seems to be a touchy subject for some (Spacemule), and to some does'nt make much difference either way.

I'll still take the ease of the flippys over the "wheres the scrench" of the screwdowns.:cheers:

I have said this before. They are over engineered pieces of #### that someone with too much time on their hands invented for a problem that did not exist. Plus they break at the most inopertune times. I have had 2 break in the 5 or so years I have had them. Funny that I have been using the old plain screw on caps for about 35 years prior to my exposure to the flippy's and have NEVER had one break or malfunction in any way. I am no fan of the flippy.

Nik, that's good. I was drunk last night. It was Canada Day eh. LOTS of rum eh. Then I had to work today. Plus I only watched a little blip of the video. Then I did the ####### name calling thing eh.

I think I might have a rageahol problem. I suck.

PS, its friday and I lefty work early so I'm on rum 3 now....

no worries, not like I've never posted under the influence !:cheers:

I like them.

My favorite is when people ask, "What is the advantage of flip caps?"

They are tooless. You don't need a scrench to use it.

I always have a 260, 361 or 441 on the back of my skidder. On good days I don't have to use them much, but sometimes I go through a few tanks topping and limbing hung-up trees. I don't need the scrench to tighten the chain, because I usually don't cut that much and because of flip caps, I don't need one for the caps. Perfect.

I don't to have to carry a scrench around just to screw the caps in and out. With flip caps I don't need any tools for the whole day. Nothing to lose or stick me in the side or fall out, like that scrench does, when you get in and out of the skidder 100+ times a day.

My experience,

Sam

I've never had to use a scrench on any fuel/oil cap. If you can't use a screw on cap without one, then you don't need to be operating a saw.

I've never had to use a scrench on any fuel/oil cap. If you can't use a screw on cap without one, then you don't need to be operating a saw.

Okay, thanks for the advice. I guess, I'll sell my skidders and saws and find some other line of work.

What do I do, if I tighten the screw cap by hand and it still leaks?

Do I start a poll as to why screw caps don't work?

Or do I get a channel lock pliers and use that? Pipe Wrench?

Or do I use a scrench and put flat side in the slot in the middle of the screw cap and tighten it, to the point that gas quits leaking out?

Or do I just admit that screw caps are superior and should not be molested by a scrench and just let them leak all over the place?

Let me know,

Sam

Okay, thanks for the advice. I guess, I'll sell my skidders and saws and find some other line of work.

What do I do, if I tighten the screw cap by hand and it still leaks?

Do I start a poll as to why screw caps don't work?

Or do I get a channel lock pliers and use that? Pipe Wrench?

Or do I use a scrench and put flat side in the slot in the middle of the screw cap and tighten it, to the point that gas quits leaking out?

Or do I just admit that screw caps are superior and should not be molested by a scrench and just let them leak all over the place?

Let me know,

Sam
If it leaks from hand tight, it's because it's been overtightened in the past. That's operator error, not a design flaw.

Funny, I thought that was the reason behind the flippy cap. It was kind of an elite saw operator test...........

If you can't operate the flippy cap on the dealer floor, Stihl's insurance company wouldn't let them sell you one.

Who knew?

Sam

Funny, I thought that was the reason behind the flippy cap. It was kind of an elite saw operator test...........

If you can't operate the flippy cap on the dealer floor, Stihl's insurance company wouldn't let them sell you one.

Who knew?

Sam

Yup, another one that feels "special."

If it leaks from hand tight, it's because it's been overtightened in the past. That's operator error, not a design flaw.

??????????? So then what, do I still just let it leak all over the place or do I tighten it some more?

Or do I quit work, walk out of the woods, and go buy a new cap, just so the cap won't leak without using a scrench??

Whether or not I overtightened it, or its a used saw and someone else overtightened it, am I still not suppose to put a scrench in the slot that Stihl and Husky designed for it to go into?

Let me know,

Sam

Whether or not I overtightened it, or its a used saw and someone else overtightened it, am I still not suppose to put a scrench in the slot that Stihl and Husky designed for it to go into?

Let me know,

Sam

Do you use towhooks on your truck every time you've stopped in order to get going again? (Don't answer that if you drive a Ford).

What do you do? You replace the cap you buggered up and learn how to operate the saw correctly. Pretty simple concept dude.

Do you use towhooks on your truck every time you've stopped in order to get going again? (Don't answer that if you drive a Ford).

What do you do? You replaced the cap you buggered up and learn how to operate the saw correctly. Pretty simple concept dude.

What is the slot in the cap for on Husky and Stihl saws? Is that to make the cap lighter?

I have saws that sometimes the cap leaks when hand tightened and sometimes not. Again do I put the saw down and not use it until I get a new cap for it, or do I use a scrench?

Because our family has saws that still have the orginal cap on it and they are several decades old and screnches have been used on them and a lot of wood has been cut with them. They don't leak any gas or oil and I guess, most of us thought that was what the slot was for.

I guess, we were all wrong. My bad, I will start to sell my saws, do to my improper use of the screw cap.

Honestly, you have almost presented a case where the screw cap is more complicated than the flippy cap. Are you a lawyer??

Sam

What is the slot in the cap for on Husky and Stihl saws? Is that to make the cap lighter?

The slot is for loosening only, not tightening. The slot is there for facilitating removal after a hamfisted, hairy nuckle dragging ape has screwed the thing up. If you use the thing correctly, you will not have leakage. Like I said, if you're too much of a moron to figure out a screw on cap, the epitome of simplicity, then you have no business running a saw.

The slot is for loosening only, not tightening. The slot is there for facilitating removal after a hamfisted, hairy nuckle dragging ape has screwed the thing up. If you use the thing correctly, you will not have leakage. Like I said, if you're too much of a moron to figure out a screw on cap, the epitome of simplicity, then you have no business running a saw.

Space, those screw caps wear also and will need the scrench to tighten and loosen. When the little nubs wear off the husky caps, you will need the scrench to do the same. Both have pros and cons.

If you can't operate a flippy cap, you should not be using a saw at all.;)

Latest posts

Back