Why are flippy caps hated?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have a phd in conflict resolution or anything, but it looks as though we may have an area of broad agreement. Stihl - great product with lousey caps.

I'm thinking that it may have been a conscious decision to give the folks at HusqCo a fighting chance. Like if I were to play one-on-one with LeBron James, he'd sport me a few points by way of a handicap.

Maybe that's what we should be calling them - handicaps. E.g., My 360 has handicaps.

(Gotta admit, the caps sure are handy!) :)

Revised proposal. They should be called andycaps. As in, if you can't usem, you must suffer from a mental andycap.

:laugh:

Exhibit A:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_ia7xttOugk&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_ia7xttOugk&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Like I said before, if it's overtightened, you will need a scrench to remove it. However, if you use it correctly, you will not need a scrench to remove it.

As far as my experience, I grew up burning wood. When I was old enough, I cut wood as our sole heat source for over a decade. I sold wood professionally for over a year. I've been around saws plenty. I cut a lot of cords with a Stihl 034, and I never even bothered bringing a scrench, because it simply wasn't needed in the field. Just because I went back to school has no bearing on my experience.

Sold wood professionally eh? Please tell me this was just one of those Arkansas redundancies like Trouser-pants or an ink-pen. I'm hoping you meant that you had participated in a firewood business for a year.

Or in the alternative, are you claiming that you were a "professional" and sold wood as these people might do?

Gay-Pride-Parade.jpg

Oh wise one guess what, its impossible to over tighten or under tighten a flippy cap regardless of how you use it. Has a little bell now gone off in ya noggin, is it going ding ding ding, yes grasshopper the mighty flippy cap has resolved the over tighten and under tighten issues of fuel and oil caps. Amazing huh, why I'm shocked you didn't realize that. No need for thanks, in fact it was my pleasure to counter your arguement. The almighty flippy cap has now buried one deep within your belly of understanding why it was made in the first place, no over tighten, no under tighten, no scrench, its tooless, imagine that, why no wonder its the most popular cap in America,:biggrinbounce2::biggrinbounce2::biggrinbounce2:

Only to replace a bad habit with trashy engineering:poke: I forgot who posted it but a combination flip screwy now that is real engineering:clap:

Sharp chain, sufficient lubrication, and proper tension, and your chain doesn't get "loose." Proper cutting technique, and it doesn't get "tossed."

Now we can all remove our chain adjusters. Spacey says we don't need them; after all, he sold firewood for an entire year. What were all them manufacturers thinking, putting them things on our saws, when the god SPACEMULE says your chain "doesn't get loose". He's got a new business, selling chain now that doesn't stretch or wear. Most likely, for an additional fee, he'll sell you what he uses, never needs sharpening.
You void the guarantee by actually using it, however. SPACEMULE sure sounds like he (was I supposed to capitalize that?) doesn't.

Now we can all remove our chain adjusters. Spacey says we don't need them; after all, he sold firewood for an entire year. What were all them manufacturers thinking, putting them things on our saws, when the god SPACEMULE says your chain "doesn't get loose". He's got a new business, selling chain now that doesn't stretch or wear. Most likely, for an additional fee, he'll sell you what he uses, never needs sharpening.
You void the guarantee by actually using it, however. SPACEMULE sure sounds like he (was I supposed to capitalize that?) doesn't.
Bless you son for you have sinned.
NEVER question the great space mule.

Only to replace a bad habit with trashy engineering:poke: I forgot who posted it but a combination flip screwy now that is real engineering:clap:

Its ok Rope, your obviously not the only one who can't figure out or accept the mighty flippy cap. I do admit its not for everyone. Hell chewing gum and walking at the sametime is a feat for some people,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Revised proposal. They should be called andycaps. As in, if you can't usem, you must suffer from a mental andycap.

:laugh:

Exhibit A:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_ia7xttOugk&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_ia7xttOugk&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

I think you will have to come up with a new name as Andy Capp has already been taken!

andy_capp.jpg

That was my idea. Maybe I should patent that. :clap:

Originally Posted by J.W Younger
Good thing your chain didnt get loose or tossed.

spacemule Quote:
Sharp chain, sufficient lubrication, and proper tension, and your chain doesn't get "loose." Proper cutting technique, and it doesn't get "tossed."

Out of these two guys, who is the :chainsaw: and who is the :monkey:????

C'mon Space, anyone who has not thrown a chain has'nt did any cutting. You put a new chain on, any brand, and within 20 minutes of cutting it will most likely need retightened. You know dis mang! :cheers:

Its ok Rope, your obviously not the only one who can't figure out or accept the mighty flippy cap. I do admit its not for everyone. Hell chewing gum and walking at the sametime is a feat for some people,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

There is always going to be brainwashed followers that buy into poor engineering. I have it figured out very well Tom. I can spot a turd when I see one :monkey:

Now we can all remove our chain adjusters. Spacey says we don't need them;
Why don't you go back and do some studying and then explain to us how what I said is drastically different from what you've claimed i said. Or, is honesty too difficult for the flippy cap minded?

Last edited:
Last week workin late to extract a few stumps from street sites way to busy for day time we were hand diggin n cuttin n a stumpen when fliipy cap fails me again.

Penned this for an AS poem thread to the tune of Poes Raven.

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I worked so weak and weary,
Over dead stumps quaint and curious buried in the cities floor
While I worked at fuel-in, suddenly there came a crack-en
As if some one gently snap-en a snap-en of my flippy caps door.
"'#### this," I muttered, " swearing at my flippy caps door
Only Stihl would do this, this and nothing more

I like em but they do fail to engage often or just snap into bits. I do hope they can fix it as the concept is great.

I gonna feel the market about another thread on Stihl,s Easy2start good bad or ??. I like it but will be lookin for others input.

has anyone considered going to a chemist supply store or a you-brew shop and getting a bung or rubber stopper? This should stop any problems

bung is a funny word.

I am going to fabricate some flippy cap adapters out of solid titanium with carbided wear areas for added durabikity. They will thread into husky holes and then take a flippy cap.$ 209.89 each

start the pre order list below.

bung is a funny word.

I am going to fabricate some flippy cap adapters out of solid titanium with carbided wear areas for added durabikity. They will thread into husky holes and then take a flippy cap.$ 209.89 each

start the pre order list below.

until you fix that, I aint buying anything from you:):):)

Latest posts

Back