Why carry the weight of a MS290

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a blown 290 for $50.00 and put another $50.00 worth of bearings and seals in it. For $100 I've got a good running saw but I'm too embarrassed to use it!

Makes a good saw to strap on the back of the Rover when we go off-roading but I wouldn't want to make a living with it.

jim

OK so a ms290 has a msrp of $369 wearing a 18" it has 3.8bhp and weight of 13lbs.

In comparison a PS5100 wearing a 3/8"-18" and producing 3.9bhp, hitting the scales at 11.2 lbs has a msrp of $409.00

I do not know what Stihl dealers sell that saw for but you can find a PS5100 in the neighborhood of $375.00 to $395.00

Kind of a no brainer....

Scott

Scott,

I'm not trying to be a smart a$$ here, but here's how most 290s are sold.

Scene I, act I

This take place on a chilly Friday evening in a 4 bedroom, 2 story colonial home in the suburbs of modern, urban America.

Mr. Homer: Hon, I was thinkin' about a new chainsaw for the fall.

Mrs. Homer: I thought that last saw was a good one and would last forever.

Mr. Homer: Well, it did last 12 years, and it's done a decent job. Only had 2 repairs and a few new chains. Ed, ya know, Ed from the plant, just bought a new one and can't get over how much smoother and better it is.

Mrs. Homer: Well, these nice fires on the chilly evenings feel so good. Just make sure you get one that will last. Oh, and that's safe.

Mr. Homer: I saw an ad in the Daily Bugle about how Stihl's having a sale. Oh, and they give you a free case and all. Heck, Ed said that they even put fuel in 'em, start 'em up, and show you how to run 'em and all.

Mrs Homer: Homer, where's the clicker .......

Scene II, act I

This take place on a Saturday morning at Tom's Stihl shop, just a mile and a half from Mr. Homer's colonial home. Newly is one of the top sales associates at Tom's and is near the door as Mr. Homer enters.

Newly: Hey, how's it going? Newly here.

Mr. Homer: Howdy. I'm Mr. Homer and I'm just here to look at your saws.

Newly: Great. I'm sure we can help you. I remember you. You brought in that little Stihl for a new chain and a carb adjustment last fall, right?

Mr. Homer: Yep, guess that was me.

Newly: So Mr. Homer, whacha gonna be doin' with it?

Mr. Homer. Well, I'll take a few limbs, cut a medium size oak once in a while. Ed, from the plant brings me some logs, so I cut up a few cords a year to warm me and the Mrs. as we read by the fire during these nasty winter evenings.

Newly: You sould like a 290 candidate. It's our best selling saw, durable, reliable, easy to start and use. We sell more of these than any other saw. No sense in payin' more that you really need too.

Mr. Homer: Do you have and in stock? One you can show me?

Newly: I'm sure. We get a pallet at a time. I've never know us to be out of 'em. I have one out back that you can run. etc. etc. etc.

Scene II, Act II

Back of the store.

Newly: Here, take it and try it out.

Mr. Homer: Cuts good. Man, I can't get this silly grin off my face.

Scene II, Act III

Back in the store.

Newly: So, shall I get a new one out of stock and get it serviced?

Mr. Homer: Well, how much?

Newly: $369 plus tax. Now, I can get you a case, an extra change, a six pack of oil, oh, and here's a new one gallon can for you. Now, remeber what I said about fresh fuel?

Mr. Homer: Gotcha on the fresh fuel. Yeah, wrap it up. I'm juiced. I'll just go over and dream 'bout the big, pro saws while I wait.

Newly: Great, let me run that card and I'll come over and show you some of the cool, big saws. Oh, and I wanna show you the new .........

As always,

Joat

...but you can find a PS5100 in the neighborhood...

That right there is the biggest problem!! :D

Seriously...Detroit is a fairly big neighborhood...and there's one, count 'em, one, Dolmar dealer, and he does not stock the 5100.

Not one 5100 in all of Detroit.

Before discounting that 262, if you still have it, take it out and cut with it!! I assure you, you will have a differing opinion of it afterwards!!!!
Yes, IT's THAT GOOD!!!!!

Before discounting that 262, if you still have it, take it out and cut with it!! I assure you, you will have a differing opinion of it afterwords!!!!
Yes, IT's THAT GOOD!!!!!

Thats if the 262 would operate safely... Seems like the Throttle Safety Trigger was all FUBAR

Scott

Joat where could I view this Play cause its surely not playing in my town or the next couple of towns...

Especially Scene II act I and II :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Scott

Light is expensive if done right. Cheap if done wrong. So, you get a heavy saw, with moderate power, decently built, designed for the occasional user for whom weight really doesn't matter. Easy. That, and the fact that a typical 290 user would cut his leg off with a 7900. It's like tossing the keys to a Ferrari to a 15 year old.

Mark

Good post Mark.

Kevin

That right there is the biggest problem!! :D

Seriously...Detroit is a fairly big neighborhood...and there's one, count 'em, one, Dolmar dealer, and he does not stock the 5100.

Not one 5100 in all of Detroit.
Same situation were I live No dolmar dealers with saws! I like what I am hearing about the 7900 but don't really want to mail order my saw. But! if are dollar goes up more{went down this week} I might have to give a phone call to Cutting Scott. Hay do you ship to Canada? I do like my Jred dealer would like a 2171 Need and want are two different things right now for me. Thats my excuse.

I've had an 029 since the year 2000. I use the sh!t out of it. It's a great saw.

With that said, I do tend to use my 044 more often than the 029 these days, and I've been using the 660 for just about everything recently. I think I'm just becoming more impatient. Why use a smaller saw for something when I can just whip out the 660 and let the big dog eat? :chainsawguy: :lifter:

Joat where could I view this Play cause its surely not playing in my town or the next couple of towns...

Especially Scene II act I and II :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Scott

Scott,

It's playing in most every town, city, village and hamlet in the USA every day.

Scott, I think Dolmar makes an excellent product. I think Husky makes an excellent product. Stihl's good too. But, the only Dolmar dealer within a hour of me closed his door 2 months ago. I tried to buy a 7900 from him, but never could seem to get him interested in talking to me. He had another fulltime job and left uninformed relatives to mind the store. They didn't have pricing or technical details. Now, your store and a few others sound like FIRST CLASS operations.

The people on AS are trying to get the ultimate saw for their purpose. Many are attracted to Dolmar because of this. The average saw consumer treats a saw as a typical commodity appliance. Service, availability and the warm fuzzy feeling are paramount.

Now, to be honest, I thought that this discussion has been aired on AS and pretty well agreed upon. That is, Stihl has a great marketing plan and a large dealer network.

I'm NOT putting down your enterprize. Just seems that you are not the typical Dolmar dealer.

Oh, and Stihl isn't selling many 361s and 441s to homeowners I'd say. It's just a saw to cut firewood, 4 or 5 times a year. The extra weight of a 290 carried to the backyard or woods is probably less than the extra double cheeseburgers being carried around in the average weekend sawyers belly.

A big, friendly Dolmar hug,

Joat

Last edited:
It's all relative. I'm 6'3", 235 lbs so I don't mind the weight. And if keeping some weight in my wallet means I have to have a heavier saw that I use 20 times a year, then so be it...I use my wallet a lot more! Don't get me wrong, if anyone wants to send me a free 7900, feel free, heck I'll even settle for a MS361 if it's your money we're spending. Until then, how about you back off the guys that don't have the extra cash to throw at a hobby?!?!:angry2:

I don't own a 290, but I hear ya!!! The only reason I am able to have the 044 is because I bought it as a project that wasn't running. It took me a while financially to get the necessary parts...now to find the time :cry: . Oh for more time and money... :dizzy: :) .

Kevin

I've had an 029 since the year 2000. I use the sh!t out of it. It's a great saw.

No it isn't - but it does what it was designed for.......:greenchainsaw:

SawTroll,

Please direct your entire attention to the first two entries in the dictionary for the definition of great:

1. unusually or comparatively large in size or dimensions: A great fire destroyed nearly half the city.

2. large in number; numerous: Great hordes of tourists descend on Europe each summer.

As always, you are most welcome,

Dr. Joat

Last edited:
This is just a silly question here....

Q: "Why Carry the Weight of a MS290"

A: 1. You can actually See it, Pick it up and buy it at a local dealer TODAY!
TRY THAT AT A LOCAL DOLMAR DEALER..:cry:
.GOOD LUCK WITH THAT
a) Finding a Dealer,
b) Finding one with a 5100s

A: 2. It is $110 cheaper than the Dolmar and the MS290 includes a case, chain, and Stihl hat

A: 3. It is $300 cheaper than a MS361 here.

A: 4. If you ever need to sell it locally someone would buy it in a flash..
(Y'es Byes, where's these Dolmar to? I will give $50 for it)

Never, ever seen a local Dolmar ad. No presence. We did finally get a dealer last year (1 vs 5+ Stihl) and he doesn't stock the 5100s.
Which means it really doesn't matter how good it is.

Last edited:
I don't own a 290, but I hear ya!!! The only reason I am able to have the 044 is because I bought it as a project that wasn't running. It took me a while financially to get the necessary parts...now to find the time :cry: . Oh for more time and money... :dizzy: :) .

Kevin
Find the time? that would't have anything to do with that cute little one in your Avatar would it?
:hmm3grin2orange:

Woodie How many woodlots are there in the BIG CITY OF DETROIT???

Scott

Enough for the Jonsered dealers to carry plenty of 2171s and 2186s, and for the Stihl dealers to carry plenty of 660s...and for the Husky dealers to carry plenty of 395s...

How many woodlots would that make?

Back