Why do I keep trying?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel your pain Adam.. I went to my local Stihl dealer to get a few loops of some RSC chain.

I asked the parts guy for a 20" loop of RSC chain and he gives me a look like a deer looking into headlights. So he gets a guy from the back to help and he doesn't know either. He looks on the computer and says "I think the MS361 comes with that chain". He then added that all they sale is Oregon chain, and I said cool... like the LGX chain? another puzzled look...

I just walked out with out saying a word... Never to return again.

It's sad that you have to go through that. I'd just walked back to the back of the shop and ask the tech that has been working on saws since dirt and gave him the description of what I needed and he would turn to the hundreds of small parts boxes on the wall and throw the part at me, told me to tell them how much it is up front and it would have been over in 30 seconds.lol Some of us are lucky.

It's sad that you have to go through that. I'd just walked back to the back of the shop and ask the tech that has been working on saws since dirt and gave him the description of what I needed and he would turn to the hundreds of small parts boxes on the wall and throw the part at me, told me to tell them how much it is up front and it would have been over in 30 seconds.lol Some of us are lucky.

You got that right. Feel for the guys that have to put up with BS. I make a bit of a drive, but has paid off many times over! I wont take for granted the excellent dealer support I have for a minute.

Just like i need rings for one of my Stihls. They said I needed to buy a whole new saw and it wasnt worth repairing the rings! Can you believe that? haha

What fun would it be if you could just go online and order all you chainsaw parts and have them delivered to your door?? That would be like having an “easy button”.

Funny Stihl continues to think that their antiquated system of only ordering parts from dealers is better for the consumer. It simply not true. It's 2011 and internet parts orders should be the standard to avoid the kind of service that dealers, like the one in the OP, are giving to the public. If they think that the current system is good they're sadly mistaken.

I have been through this many times and having a good dealer is worth a lot imo. I usually ask to talk to the mechanics or tech's first. They understand the saws and Im always in the back of different shops looking for deals on saws that are blown up and need fixing anyway. The guys that rip the saws apart for a living and fix them seem to be a lot better to deal with than the parts counter types imo. If I have a problem and explain it to a tech he knows exactly what Im talking about and sometimes even knows the part numbers. I have been to many different shops and the ones that are near farms seem to be the best. They have customers that come in a lot and they want to keep everyone happy. I have also bought and traded hard to find parts with guys on AS and never had an issue.

So Adam, if I got this right your Stihl dealer is a hardware store?

Thats pretty common in CT. The lumber yard that I work for has a True Value Hardware store in one of our offices. They are Stihl and Exmark dealers. They stock parts for almost every tool they sell. The owner of the company hates when anyone has to tell a customer that something is unavailable. His thought is if something cannot be in our hands in 24 hours, then someone else can supply it. Ive seen him do that with everything from nails and screws to delivery trucks and office personel.

Latest posts

Back