Why do Stihl Chainsaws Command Such High Dollars?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duke Thieroff

Fill your hands, you SOB!
Reaction score
I understand new models, but good lord, have you ever seen what parts saws go for on eBay?

I would buy a Stihl in a heartbeat to work on, if it were a reasonable price.

This has to be because of brand recognition.

CT

you know what its because they cost a decent amount to begin with but because of brand recognition and quality. the sad part is i sold my ms 250 on ebay it goes for $125.00. i sell a ms180 it goes for $137.00. im still shocked a ms 180 brought more than my ms 250. eBay is unpredictable, its all about who wants it at the present time. Stihls always seem to commend a high value but i've had several husqvarna's go dollar for dollar with the stihls for part saws.

supply and demand

If you didn't want one the price would go down. If 1,000,000 people didn't want one the price would go down alot.

If Germany made a few more the price would go down. If they made 1,000,000 more a year the price would go down alot.

Last edited:
Chris just run an ad on the local Craigslist "buying non running stihl chainsaws".

Works pretty good.

Just sent a couple cylinders and a box of pistons up to my buddy to see what can be done.:biggrinbounce2:

The largest percentage of the population is "average." In that respect, the number one category of people is "average." Average ≠ best. :hmm3grin2orange:

Because of THALL, don't ya know he sets the market.:deadhorse:

Yea, but when you show up at his shop you'll understand why. His labor rates can be Wendy's burgers and Pepsi's, for top tier service.

And I think that's why Stihl keeps top dollar. They seem to require knowledgeable dealers/mechanics. I've only visited about 8 Stihl shops this last year and only 1 of them was not "smart" on saws (although 3 did not know about the HD oiler when first asked).

Try and find a Makita SAW store in NE Mississippi,

Last edited:
Yea, but when you show up at his shop you'll understand why. His labor rates are Wendy's and Pepsi's, for top tier service.

Sorry for overcharging you George, I feel terrible, I usually just get a candy bar for putting in two oil pumps in 660's,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

I understand new models, but good lord, have you ever seen what parts saws go for on eBay?

I would buy a Stihl in a heartbeat to work on, if it were a reasonable price.

This has to be because of brand recognition.

CT

Your pretty well right. However to get that brand recognition alot must be done and done for years and years to EARN that brand loyalty, Stihl did and continue to do so. Then of course you have guys like me where if I find out you own another brand I show up late at night with gas can and torch,LOL

Sorry for overcharging you George, I feel terrible, I usually just get a candy bar for putting in two oil pumps in 660's,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Well I wasn't going to go into details but then maybe I should have mentioned the stories you tell (and undoubtedly you have one about me by now).

And for the rest of the readers - He only charged me a Pepsi, I read elsewhere here about his Wendy's rates :)

How many trips to the woodshed is that? :laugh:

Hell Space, George traveled quite a ways for me to help him out. He wanted some high output oilers for his two 660's. He called another place and they wanted a hour labor each to put them in. I told him f-that, come on up and buyem from me and I'll putem both in for a pepsi. He asked if I was serious, I told him don't forget the pepsi. Yesterday he got his oil pumps installed and true to my word, he was charged one pepsi. He seemed like he had a good time listening to me cuss and carry on, we had some good laffs,:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Well I wasn't going to go into details but then maybe I should have mentioned the stories you tell (and undoubtedly you have one about me by now).

And for the rest of the readers - He only charged me a Pepsi, I read elsewhere here about his Wendy's rates :)

Tant no biggie. I do alot of work like that just to take business away from the competition. How long did it take, what 20 minutes, shoot a pepsi for 20 minutes of work was good enough for me and it cost the other outfit the price of those two pumps, the new bar and chain you bought. Worked out good for the both of us I say. Stop by more often!!!!!!

In my area, there are 10+ Stihl dealers in a 50 mile radius. There is ONE Husqvarna dealer, and ONE Dolmar, and the Dolmar dealer had never heard of a 7900, LOL.

I like all good running saws regardless of brand at this point, but Stihl for sure has the market cornered here because there are dealers around to service and sell.

Kinda hard for someone to buy a nice Husky or Dolmar, Jonsered, etc,... when there are no dealers nearby.

Back