Why Do Stihl Saws Cost SO Much More?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And that is why I buy foreign cars. These greedy corporate bastards, that make up the top dogs of the big three have totally screwed over the American people, they have no alegence to their main customers, the American people, and worst of all, there is no recourse for their actions...So blank them! They will never again get one dime of my money, for their overpriced junk again! End rant.
There isn't a foreign car company that makes a vehicle that will fit my needs. Doesn't look like there will be any time soon either.

NYH1.

I saw a guy yesterday with a dump trailer and a wild thing cutting down trees along the road in front of a subdivision. That guys making money with a 100 dollar saw why would he buy a stihl pro saw he has a wild thing. What a joke.
I totally understand your thinking now, you're still a youngster. only 28. I got underwear older than you.:laugh:

The Stihl Deere dealers are even worse. If you go in looking for a saw or trimmer, you won't get waited on untill the parts guys are free. The Deere salesmen just sit at their desks looking bored.
LoL !; Harley... I had to see if U live in SE Oklahoma, because that's the same reaction one gets at the John Deere salesmen. The Techs are alright though. So many new STIHL dealers that really don't know squat about the saws they sell, and no parts inventory, are a real contrast to the old tried and true dealers with parts galore, and tech knowledge that'll blow your mind. Those dealers are swamped with good customer relations. Makes ya want a STIHL just for that reason.

We have both Stihl and husky dealers here but id say Stihl is what you see the most. I run Stihls myself so can't speak on the husky dealers but due to the dealers attitudes I have learned to fix most issues myself. One dealer is basically useless and the other does decent work but the guys working there are pricks. The useless dealer is mainly a cubcadet mower dealer and it's obvious that's what they know,the Deere dealer is the same and has forced me to do most of my own tractor work now also,I cringe every time I have to go to the Deere dealer cause they act like your asking the world of them to get a part off the shelf.

We have both Stihl and husky dealers here but id say Stihl is what you see the most. I run Stihls myself so can't speak on the husky dealers but due to the dealers attitudes I have learned to fix most issues myself. One dealer is basically useless and the other does decent work but the guys working there are pricks. The useless dealer is mainly a cubcadet mower dealer and it's obvious that's what they know,the Deere dealer is the same and has forced me to do most of my own tractor work now also,I cringe every time I have to go to the Deere dealer cause they act like your asking the world of them to get a part off the shelf.
I love making people do Their job...it makes me feel warm inside. Who cares how they act...screw them!

I'm going to add to my first post.

I also run stihl cause they seem to be very very reliable. AND they start every time in my experience.

Not to say that husky saws aren't reliable but my original 025 stihl is 25 plus years old and and I bought it used for like $50.

I ran the piss out of that little saw for like 10 years and it finally gave out 2 summers ago.

Hard to argue with that.

Still though I'd like to buy a used husky for comparison sake.
That's funny when you take the rest of the post into consideration :rolleyes:, one time I got all b's in school, except one c, but that was a long time ago:lol:.
Glad you got some good use out of it though.
I know a guy who has cut hundreds of cords with a husky 445.

No it does not but a professional should know the value of quality tools and not cheap throw aways. Stihl is no different than dewalt or snapon or mac and so on. It may be advertising but I think there's more to it than that. When u think snap on or mac you think mechanic when u think dewalt you think construction. Tree work makes me think husky or stihl pro saw or not. Professional grade tools for professionals. Those tools come with a price. That's where I was going with all this. Just my opinion on the topic of this post.

I use all my saws and most all are not pro saws and only a few are stihl.
For the most part I agree with your thinking on this, but it doesn't always work that way.
With certain things most business owners buy very high quality, but when it comes to saws as stihl sawing said there are many who have moved to running farm ranch saws. What does it matter whether they kill a pro saw in a yr or less or a farm ranch saw, it matters a lot when that pro saw cost twice as much. We talk a lot on this forum about what saw cut's the fastest and while that makes a bit of difference at the end of the day it's not a deal breaker. Have you seen most of the cuts tree guys are making, they don't have to be perfect, just get the job done. A sharp chain is a very important part of the equation, and I will take a farm ranch saw with a sharp chain before a pro saw with a dull one to get the job done.
At the end of the day what makes a person a professional is that he's getting paid to do a job, it has nothing to do with the equipment he's running or even if he knows how to do the job. On the other hand an expert in a field knows how to properly do the job and can most likely do the job much better with a low quality tool than someone with a high end/pro grade tool. That being said a professional may or may not be an expert, and and expert may or may not be a professional, although it may be their trade.

To the OP, I would say because they can get away with it.

For the most part I agree with your thinking on this, but it doesn't always work that way.
With certain things most business owners buy very high quality, but when it comes to saws as stihl sawing said there are many who have moved to running farm ranch saws. What does it matter whether they kill a pro saw in a yr or less or a pro saw, it matters a lot when that pro saw cost twice as much. We talk a lot on this forum about what saw cut's the fastest and while that makes a bit of difference at the end of the day it's not a deal breaker. Have you seen most of the cuts tree guys are making, they don't have to be perfect, just get the job done. A sharp chain is a very important part of the equation, and I will take a farm ranch saw with a sharp chain before a pro saw with a dull one to get the job done.
At the end of the day what makes a person a professional is that he's getting paid to do a job, it has nothing to do with the equipment he's running or even if he knows how to do the job. On the other hand an expert in a field knows how to properly do the job and can most likely do the job much better with a low quality tool than someone with a high end/pro grade tool. That being said a professional may or may not be an expert, and and expert may or may not me a professional, although it may be their trade.

I'm not talking pro or non pro stihl saws I'm saying stihl vs a wild thing. To many people every stihl is a pro saw you can't buy it at Wal-Mart. I have no issue with a farm or ranch saw I own 2 of them and they are all I need I also own a similar size green poulan and know that 36cc poulan is not going to do every thing a guy running a tree business needs to do. It's a joke in my mind to pick up a wild thing at wal mart and call your self an arborist.

I totally understand your thinking now, you're still a youngster. only 28. I got underwear older than you.:laugh:

I've been installing furnaces boilers and ac's for almost 10 years I think I know about using quality tools. I've been a home owner since I was 20 and have a wife and 2 kids. I know a lot more about life and the real world then a lot of people my age who live at home and party all night.

I'm not talking pro or non pro stihl saws I'm saying stihl vs a wild thing. To many people every stihl is a pro saw you can't buy it at Wal-Mart. I have no issue with a farm or ranch saw I own 2 of them and they are all I need I also own a similar size green poulan and know that 36cc poulan is not going to do every thing a guy running a tree business needs to do. It's a joke in my mind to pick up a wild thing at wal mart and call your self an arborist.
What's the difference, if your only doing a few jobs a yr and just getting started you do what you have to. You can do a lot of cutting with a wild thing, I cut with a husky 142 for years which is just a poulan in an orange wrapper. I made money with it as well, the last job I did with it was an $800 pine removal job. The customer didn't know what type of saw I was running and neither did the 8-10" pines I was cutting down. I rented a decent chipper two miles from her place and chipped it all right into her woods, job done, that's about 500 net in my pocket even including the full purchase price of the 142. My little 142 was paid for with many jobs like that and it also cut many yrs of firewood for us as well. I could have easily cut everything I did those first few yrs with a ms170/80 and a 16" bar, and probably much quicker if I knew how to sharpen a chain which I didn't back then :rare2:.
Don't get me wrong, I do like a nice pro saw and will work hard to not have to run a homeowner/farm ranch saw if I can get out of it, but when it comes to business there are many ways to run them. Be sure you have an opinion as do many others, it is something for others to take into consideration, but it's good to listen to others opinions as well since their experience may be different than yours.

All this from a site that bashed my ms290 for personal fire wood cutting and now you defend wild things.
I don't think I've ever bashed a 290, but yes, there are a lot of guys who will. I've suggested many could do just fine with a husky 450 or a 455, the ms250 and 290 are just as good and great for firewood duties.
If you come here asking for advise on a saw based on what many would say you'd think unless it was a ported 70cc saw it won't be capable of cutting a few cord a yr for firewood, it's quite comical, well sort of :nofunny:.
Edit, don't forget I said this above also ;).
I do like a nice pro saw and will work hard to not have to run a homeowner/farm ranch saw if I can get out of it,

I don't think I've ever bashed a 290, but yes, there are a lot of guys who will. I've suggested many could do just fine with a husky 450 or a 455, the ms250 and 290 are just as good and great for firewood duties.
If you come here asking for advise on a saw based on what many would say you'd think unless it was a ported 70cc saw it won't be capable of cutting a few cord a yr for firewood, it's quite comical, well sort of :nofunny:.
Edit, don't forget I said this above also ;).

Ok so why am I getting so much crap for saying that a wild thing is not the right saw to be using for a tree business. I never went into the ported 70cc saw area or said the guy need a pro saw.

With certain things most business owners buy very high quality, but when it comes to saws as stihl sawing said there are many who have moved to running farm ranch saws. What does it matter whether they kill a pro saw in a yr or less or a farm ranch saw, it matters a lot when that pro saw cost twice as much. We talk a lot on this forum about what saw cut's the fastest and while that makes a bit of difference at the end of the day it's not a deal breaker. Have you seen most of the cuts tree guys are making, they don't have to be perfect, just get the job done. A sharp chain is a very important part of the equation, and I will take a farm ranch saw with a sharp chain before a pro saw with a dull one to get the job done.
At the end of the day what makes a person a professional is that he's getting paid to do a job, it has nothing to do with the equipment he's running or even if he knows how to do the job. On the other hand an expert in a field knows how to properly do the job and can most likely do the job much better with a low quality tool than someone with a high end/pro grade tool. That being said a professional may or may not be an expert, and and expert may or may not be a professional, although it may be their trade.

Amen on the sharp chain thing. :clap: I have a Poulan 2000 with at sharp chain. Yep, I said that :crazy2:

Latest posts

Back