Why do west coast loggers fell timber the way the do?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm thinking that when you crush the boss's pickup you should look at your saw and declare that the sight must've got bumped and must be off a bit.

Or put on a "sighting in the saw" demonstration for a newbie sometime. That could be entertaining. I'll bring popcorn.

Perhaps a thread on adjusting sights on saws could be started on the chainsaw forum???

Dare ya !

I think I just came up with a new excuse for missing the lead...."my gunning sights must be crooked"...or maybe "the magic marker that I touched them up with is all faded and..."

Thanks! :msp_biggrin:

helps if you draw them in the right place with the sharpie :msp_wink:

No...you got the joke. We'll see how many people don't. We conduct these little experiments every once in awhile. :msp_wink:

Missing two weeks work (one sick and one vacation) was just too much for my idle brain last month so to help all the would be timber fallers of the world, I, in my semi-delusional state, developed the universal cut aka "The Leatherman" - you know the one that can be used in any situation. But I have yet to photograph it much less post it for fear that someone will take it seriously. And of course, I am having a few technical difficulties such as making the hinge look real and matching the stem to the stump. And then a thread is started on blocking - something I hadn't thought of incorporating into The Leatherman. Who knows another rained out weekend and I just might yield to the temptation. However, most of you have probably fallen more trees in a week than I have in my lifetime. Maybe one of you can play this better than me. Ron

You "gun your lay" the same way..and if you do the top of the notch first you can match the bottom to it a lot easier. Stops a lot of tail pulling- people tend to make the bottom cut deeper than the top cut, makes the tree lift off the stump. Which you know, I know.

Man , I 've felled so many trees that i've worn the lines off just by looking at em.:laugh:

Personally, I just wet my finger in my mouth, stick it up in the air, "Kentucky Windage", adjust for elevation, and then of course you have to take into consideration the revolution of the earth both around it's axis and the sun. Barometric pressure, soil conditions, what kind of under 'britches you have on that day, whether you had 4 or 6 cups of coffee that morning, and lastly the freshness of your latest dip of snoose! Gun the saw and just let 'er go.........................he he he

Tom

I had a Chevy 1T crummy that took a direct hit over the driver door. Bought it from a bunch of tree planting hippies in NE Orygun.

Latest posts

Back