Why is Husqvarna making Dealer costs public?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No I don't thank so. I thank it help keep them honest. No need one dealer being a $100 higher than another dealer.

Dayummm I can see why many didn't want to carry their mowers, hell there isn't enough margin in some to make it worth taking out the box.

I think that price list is a dealer only list. How it found its way out in the open public is interesting..

Wow. I gotta sign up to sell Husky, our margin on Toro walk behinds is about 20-30$ per mower, I'd kill to make 55$ on a walk behind.

No I don't thank so. I thank it help keep them honest. No need one dealer being a $100 higher than another dealer.

Some dealers want to keep the doors open, pay the bills, and have enough left over for a bag of turnips. However, they still need to be competitive in order to sell product.
I used to sell out door power equipment and got fed up with competitors selling at 10 points over cost just to move saws.

I wouldn't necessarily call that public...the main website is password protected, evidently the individual URLs for download dont also require a password...

Wow. I gotta sign up to sell Husky, our margin on Toro walk behinds is about 20-30$ per mower, I'd kill to make 55$ on a walk behind.

Good point. We tried Toro for while and finally said to hell with them. We went over to Home Depot and saw they were selling the same mowers for less than what we were paying for them. That was it, we told em to take a hike.

Mowers from what I've been told is a very tuff business, the margins are low, need alot of space to carry a good selection. People tend to throw the lower cost ones away instead of getting them repaired. I guess if you got up in the zero turns and big pro type mowers theres money to be made..

Roy M if you sell product cheaper than somebody else and your still making a profit it would get you more customers. They will come to you to buy other stuff as well such as parts and anything else that they need. Its better to sell more product at a cheaper price than to try to buy a whole bag of turnips just off of one sale.

I wouldn't necessarily call that public...the main website is password protected, evidently the individual URLs for download dont also require a password...

Welp if thats the case thats a first for me. Allowing the buying customer to know your cost sorta gives the customer a way to set his price. He decides how much margin you can make. Not good...

Roy M if you sell product cheaper than somebody else and your still making a profit it would get you more customers. They will come to you to buy other stuff as well such as parts and anything else that they need. Its better to sell more product at a cheaper price than to try to buy a whole bag of turnips just off of one sale.

Damn, sounds like you have it all figured out. Hows your retail business doing these days?

Welp if thats the case thats a first for me. Allowing the buying customer to know your cost sorta gives the customer a way to set his price. He decides how much margin you can make. Not good...

He means the idiot who designed the website did a piss poor job. Figured that since the site is PW protected no one would attempt to post a URL from within it.

Would sorta be like you logging into Stihls site, creating a shopping cart list, then being able to copy and paste the URL here and everyone would be able to see your current order.

It aint suppose to work like that :)

Damn, sounds like you have it all figured out. Hows your retail business doing these days?

Ouch!!!

Ya know that price list reminds me of the man that walked in the shop one day. He wanted a HT101, a 599.95 pole prunner. He tells me flat out quote" I will give you 30.00 above your cost on that". I go you will. He says yes and he was dead serious. I said ok how much did we pay for it. He goes I don't know, your gonna have to show me. I go the only thing I have to show you is the door,LOLOL

He didn't buy the machine and more power to him.

Here's the clincher. He came back a few months later. I go did you ever get that prunner you wanted. He goes no and if you hadn't been so tight I would have it. I go if you hadn't been so tight you would have it as well. He and I actually had a good laff over it.

You can't let the customer set his price, doing so we all know his price is 99 times out of a 100 going to be dirt cheap...

He means the idiot who designed the website did a piss poor job. Figured that since the site is PW protected no one would attempt to post a URL from within it.

Would sorta be like you logging into Stihls site, creating a shopping cart list, then being able to copy and paste the URL here and everyone would be able to see your current order.

Exactly. I agree it's shoddy web work, however. I mean, the link itself was clearly leaked at some point from someone who had access to the dealer protected area, it's not like you could just guess that web address for that document. By the same token, somebody could take a screen shot of the stihl dealer website and post it online...At the end of the day these aren't bank statements and credit card numbers...

Well that makes sense. I can't see Husky or any company putting out cost lists like that on purpose...

On another level, this wouldn't be the first time something like this happened to an industry. Look at cars. Everyone with a computer walks into a dealer knowing the deals people got at other dealers, maybe even the dealer cost, dealer markup, the advertising/play money the dealer gets to sell the car from the manufacturer, etc.

Exactly. I agree it's shoddy web work, however. I mean, the link itself was clearly leaked at some point from someone who had access to the dealer protected area, it's not like you could just guess that web address for that document. By the same token, somebody could take a screen shot of the stihl dealer website and post it online...At the end of the day these aren't bank statements and credit card numbers...

A big difference between a SS and a linked URL. When it comes to all things computer related, designers have to take into consideration how it will be broke. This is one of the first types of mistakes I looked for when I was involved with computers, doing alpha/beta testing, etc.

I'm guessing there will be a big stink over this issue. A secure site is suppose to be secure.

A big difference between a SS and a linked URL. When it comes to all things computer related, designers have to take into consideration how it will be broke. This is one of the first types of mistakes I looked for when I was involved with computers, doing alpha/beta testing, etc.

I'm guessing there will be a big stink over this issue. A secure site is suppose to be secure.

As always in any "secure" system there is a weak link.

As a consumer, when you take a step back, and see how little the dealer gets on a lot of that stuff, you have to wonder how its possible for a lot of the small time shops to stick around.

As always in any "secure" system there is a weak link.

Many years ago, while getting a computer science degree, a Prof explained how to secure a computer system:

Unplug it.
Remove the Hard Drive.
Place it and the rest of the system inside a locked box.
Place that box inside a locked safe.
Make sure to have a few very large rotties standing guard.

Even then, it still ain't secure.

After having had a visit from the IG's out of Langley many years back, and them showing me what my 14 year old son had been up to...trust me, there ain't no such thing as a secure site :)

But this borders on stupidity.

Back