Why not a 460?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BTurner,
although the 044 looks and operates in a wicked fashion with the hood off, I think there would be problems in actual work situations. Such as when placing the undercut in with the uncovered sprocket so close to the ground.

It might cause more frequent chain throws. The clutch cover has a dual purpose in that it captures slung off bar lube and slings some of it back onto the chain.

But I hear what you're saying. Almost and clutch cover off a Stihl will fit on the 044, such as the 029 etc.
You could cut out any of the ridges on the inside of the clutch cover so as not to impead chip flow.

John

ed543832.jpg

Gypo Logger said:
BTurner,
although the 044 looks and operates in a wicked fashion with the hood off, I think there would be problems in actual work situations. Such as when placing the undercut in with the uncovered sprocket so close to the ground.

It might cause more frequent chain throws. The clutch cover has a dual purpose in that it captures slung off bar lube and slings some of it back onto the chain.

But I hear what you're saying. Almost and clutch cover off a Stihl will fit on the 044, such as the 029 etc.
You could cut out any of the ridges on the inside of the clutch cover so as not to impead chip flow.

John

ed543832.jpg

John,

I hadn't even thought of how much mess the oil would make as well as losing oil that would end up on the bar. I do agree that some sort of mods to the cover would help the noodles, but the dynamics with noodles are more complex than some would think. Sometimes when I am using my alaska mill to slab big blocks from the side (not endgrain like when doing a long log) I study the exit of the noodles. Interesting.

In terms of that great pic, I recognize that place. Didn't my brother and I sublet that to you one winter when we were out of town? I thought the room looked pretty familiar. I was fooled at first because it looks like you picked up the place a bit for the pic.

musch said:
OK, this question has been bugging me.
Assuming money is not an issue.
Why buy a 440, or a 441, when the SAME weight, you get a 460 that is much more powerful?

Am I missing something. I am SOOO close to getting a 460, and have been told I won't regret it, but I wonder what the point of the 440 is, pricing excluded.
:blob2:

Got news for ya dude. I wouldn't trade my 44 for any of'em. It's a great saw. Light, fast, runs like a 3 yr old's nose. Is $100 worth .5hp??? I'm buying the new 7900, that's almost a full hp more for like $100 less. Seems like that's the way to go. At least till the 461 comes out, then we'll see eh???:biggrinbounce2:

rahtreelimbs said:
This whole comparison thing between the 460 and 441 has been beaten to death here. Read some of the "Prince Of All Saws" (is it still up) and you will find enough posts to drink a case of beer to!!!:givebeer:

All in all look 'em over good and buy what you really like................you won't go wrong with either one!!!

Thats the problem with the prince of saws thread, it is a behemoth.
I dont have time for war and peace!! :hmm3grin2orange:

Admittedly, I am trying to fill a small niche between the 570 and the 66, but I want something that has the cutting power I am looking for.
Is the 460 smooth, or does it vibrate like the other stihls I have? That is one thing that is dramatically noticable with the Husky saws.

Last edited:
musch said:

Admittedly, I am trying to fill a small niche between the 570 and the 66, but I want something that has the cutting power I am looking for.
Is the 460 smooth, or does it vibrate like the other stihls I have? That is one thing that is dramatically noticable with the Husky saws.

Have you run a 7900? Way smoother than a 460 and powerwise would fit well in between your 570 and 66. Funnest motor anywhere near it's size. Amazingly flat power curve makes it a joy.

I was considering one,
Only dealer that I know of around here is 96 miles north.
Plus I'm concerned about parts, etc. At that point I'd order online.
The Stihl dealer I know is great, thats why I was leaning toward the 460.

440 would be redundant, even though it might be better than the 570,
I am still open to 460, 7900 and possibly Husky 385, but thats another class saw again. :bang:

Mike Maas said:
The 460 is pretty close to the 361. But if you buy the 660, it won't get much use, because its heavy and hard to start.
Really, what determines the need for a 660 is bar length. If you need 36" get the 660, otherwise stick with the 70cc size.

Meh, I'll have to kindly disagree with you there Mike. The 361 and 460 aren't comparable in the least. I think they compliment each other very well. I run them with a 24" and a 32" respectively. I'd never dream of having either swap roles.

I do agree with what you say about the 660 and when it's called for. Most have no true need for a 660. I really don't all that much....but now that I have it, I don't know how I'd live without it, nor how I got by beforehand. The jump from a 361 to a 660 would be rather large, but if someone needs to mill or needs to run a 36", then jump, jump, jump. :blob2:

musch said:

The 660 and 066 are smoother than my 046/460....

I gotta agree with B-Turner here...The 7900 is a much smoother saw with more power than the 460..I have both. I don't take the 046 over the 7900 ever. nuff said

musch said:
I was considering one,
Only dealer that I know of around here is 96 miles north.
Plus I'm concerned about parts, etc. At that point I'd order online.
The Stihl dealer I know is great, thats why I was leaning toward the 460.

440 would be redundant, even though it might be better than the 570,
I am still open to 460, 7900 and possibly Husky 385, but thats another class saw again. :bang:

Nope...

7900 takes the cake..Just as quick as the 385 in decent sized wood. Operator technique is the only thing that would make one quicker or the other by a fraction....

I had a 2186 which was a 385 in the red color scheme...An overweight bulky 372 is what it reminded me of..I grabbed the 066 just because the 385/2186 was so close to wieght and the 066 had the power advantage.....

I find that the 7900 with a 24" bar in hardwoods is the perfect saw between my 372 with a 20" and 660 with a 28".

372 used to get used the most, but the 7900 is now the most used of the three

Freakingstang said:
The 660 and 066 are smoother than my 046/460....

I gotta agree with B-Turner here...The 7900 is a much smoother saw with more power than the 460..I have both. I don't take the 046 over the 7900 ever. nuff said

Re vibes, Thats a shame.
I don't doubt that I'd like the Dolmar, I just worry about the dealer network.
:bowdown:

Bah!!!

musch said:
Re vibes, Thats a shame.
I don't doubt that I'd like the Dolmar, I just worry about the dealer network.
:bowdown:

Nonsense Musch. Don't worry about that dude. Your in Wisconsin. Go to Dolmar's website and use the dealer locator. There's like 100 dealers in Wisconsin bro. Get one, run the he11 out of it. I'm buying one this friday, I've even saved a couple HUGE logs to try it out on. I'll let ya know how I like it next weekend eh? :rock:

ciscoguy01 said:
Nonsense Musch. Don't worry about that dude. Your in Wisconsin. Go to Dolmar's website and use the dealer locator. There's like 100 dealers in Wisconsin bro. Get one, run the he11 out of it. I'm buying one this friday, I've even saved a couple HUGE logs to try it out on. I'll let ya know how I like it next weekend eh? :rock:

In my area, two of the three numbers listed on website. dialed as wrong numbers. The remaining one had only ever seen one dolmar - a 5100 - before. They had never heard of a 7900. I had them get one for me to demo along with my 066 and 395. I liked it okay and bought it and took it home.

Last edited:
Well, I've pretty much been talked OUT of the 460.
If I didn't have the 570, I might think about it some more.

The 7900 is tempting, especially the power to weight being so high. :rock:

I'm gonna try one other place, and we'll see what happens. :popcorn:

musch
if a 24" bar wil cover your needs then the 460 wil handle the bar in any hardwoods albiet a little slower than the 066 w/ 24".
when a longer bar is needed i reach for the 066 w/ 28" bar.
my 440 wears a 20" bar. if 20" covers your needs then the 440 is more than adequate albiet a little slower than the 460.

no need to carry the extra weight/length when not needed.
(i quit trying to impress people a long time ago)

take your pick. im sure u wil b a happy camper w/ either

Back