Why not a 460?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musch

Chainsaw Zombie
Reaction score
OK, this question has been bugging me.
Assuming money is not an issue.
Why buy a 440, or a 441, when the SAME weight, you get a 460 that is much more powerful?

Am I missing something. I am SOOO close to getting a 460, and have been told I won't regret it, but I wonder what the point of the 440 is, pricing excluded.
:blob2:

I'm having the same question in my head..lol last week I bought a new 460 (great saws) and now Its looking like I may need another saw and my dealer has a 441 priced at 650, now thats only $75 less than a 460 and its a demo. The 441 are priced at 695 and the 460 at 715 at my dealer and hears the kicker that I don't believe,my dealer says the new 441 will outcut the 460 now come on is this possibly, either way I don't like the motor mounts on the 441 and for just a little bit more $ I'm sticking with the 460

This whole comparison thing between the 460 and 441 has been beaten to death here. Read some of the "Prince Of All Saws" (is it still up) and you will find enough posts to drink a case of beer to!!!:givebeer:

All in all look 'em over good and buy what you really like................you won't go wrong with either one!!!

The difference in the saws becomes apparent once you run either of them (440/460). I've not run a 441, but as an owner of a 440 and 460, I can say they're different saws. I've learned to not look entirely at what the saw is supposed to be on paper. Pick up and run a 440 and then a 460, and you'll see they're different saws. What they can do, how they run, how they carry...they're different saws. My 440 does get more use, as know I'll usally go to my 660 before my 460, but the 460 is, in my opinion, definately a saw in it's own niche.

And your dealer saying the 441 will outcut a 660 is a bit vague. There's variables to consider, as bar length, depth of cut and so on. Some saws come more into their own on smaller or larger wood.

the 440 and the 460 do not weigh the same either.

The 441 is right on the heels of the 460 as for weight, but its also a new design. Be rest assured when the 460 gets redesigned, it will weigh more also.

Can't keep comparing apples to oranges. The 440 and 460 are 2 different saws. My 440 runs great with a 20" bar, my 460 is set up with a 25" bar. The bars are not interchangable in my opinion. The 441 is a new design with similiar power to the 440 but a faster throttle response, and better anti-vibe. I set it up with a 20" bar and that is what it will always have. It will not out cut a 460 or a 660 ever. A stock 460 will never out cut a stock 660 ever. The 441 was not made as a replacement for either of those saws. It was designed as a replacement for a 440 and my opinion is it does the job. In a few years when the saw mods start tearing in to them and porting them out to get a bit more HP the 441, MAY cut faster than a stock 460, but for now it is an apple and the 460 is an orange. All are great saws, but each has their own use and purpose. :biggrinbounce2:

TreeCo said:
Go with the 460 and leave the 441 for those less discriminating saw users!

Hey, who are calling desicriminationing??? So I like Gray Popoun mustard on a sandwich once in a while, does that make me special???:monkey:

Face it, the 460 is woefully outdated, and an embarrassment to be seen in the woods with. It's the "red topped stepchild" of the chainsaw world. So please, won't you help the "children"?

Please send all unwanted 460s to:

Oldsaw's Home for Unwanted 460s
PO box......

Mark

I am not a logger, but I feel I am a discriminating saw user. Just have different priorities. I have run 460s (don't own one) and the are a great saw but not smooth enough to justify their purchase for me personally. When I need it, I prefer to jump to more power from my 066 or 395.

I prefer the 7900 as it outperforms the 460 in every way in my experience (although reliabilty, part, etc in question) and in spite of the added weight I would (and probabably will) buy a 441 over the not as smooth 440 (again a great saw). Besides being smooth, the 441 gets great mileage and less stink.

Like everyone says, they are all great saws and you won't go wrong with either the 440, 441 or 460 if you take care of them. Try them all side by side yourself and go with the one that makes you grin the most.

musch said:
OK, this question has been bugging me.
Assuming money is not an issue.
Why buy a 440, or a 441, when the SAME weight, you get a 460 that is much more powerful?

Am I missing something. I am SOOO close to getting a 460, and have been told I won't regret it, but I wonder what the point of the 440 is, pricing excluded.
:blob2:

The 440 and 460 are different saws in weight and power. The power to weight ratio is real close on the two Just recently, the 440 was replaced by the 441. So you are comparing and older saw (460) to an newer, cleaner burning saw.
The EPA is forcing saw makers to pollute less. Making a saw that pollutes less is more expensive and can add weight.
The 441 isn't just a heavier, less powerful, version of the 440. Among other improvements, the 441 has a vastly improved suspension which makes it as nice to run as a husky 372 (that's very good). The new motor also has a different power band.
Although the 441 has less power to weight, it is a nice saw to use. To a lot of people its a big enough difference to warrant the extra weight.
In time it won't matter, because the 460 and the rest of the saws will also get a face lift.

rahtreelimbs said:
This whole comparison thing between the 460 and 441 has been beaten to death here. Read some of the "Prince Of All Saws" (is it still up) and you will find enough posts to drink a case of beer to!!!:givebeer:

All in all look 'em over good and buy what you really like................you won't go wrong with either one!!!
That's the problem, it's done to death.
You advise the poster to read Prince of Saws? 12,000 posts with maybe 6 sentences of actual information.

Funny you boys bring this up. I need a bigger saw.

Don't mean to hijack but the thread title is 460 so I figger it's OK.

I'm trying to keep this disease in my lederhosen, and limit myself to 3 saws. I already have the Baby Bear (Craftsman) and Middle Bear (MS361) and I want ONE saw to cover everything else. Midlife weekend warrior considering a career change...so: Should I get a 460 or a 660?

All replies welcomed and appreciated. :popcorn:

Canyon

Canyon Angler said:

I'm trying to keep this disease in my lederhosen, and limit myself to 3 saws. I already have the Baby Bear (Craftsman) and Middle Bear (MS361) and I want ONE saw to cover everything else. Midlife weekend warrior considering a career change...so: Should I get a 460 or a 660?

Canyon
The 460 is pretty close to the 361. But if you buy the 660, it won't get much use, because its heavy and hard to start.
Really, what determines the need for a 660 is bar length. If you need 36" get the 660, otherwise stick with the 70cc size.

Mike Maas said:
The 440 and 460 are different saws in weight and power. The power to weight ratio is real close on the two Just recently, the 440 was replaced by the 441. So you are comparing and older saw (460) to an newer, cleaner burning saw.
The EPA is forcing saw makers to pollute less. Making a saw that pollutes less is more expensive and can add weight.
The 441 isn't just a heavier, less powerful, version of the 440. Among other improvements, the 441 has a vastly improved suspension which makes it as nice to run as a husky 372 (that's very good). The new motor also has a different power band.
Although the 441 has less power to weight, it is a nice saw to use. To a lot of people its a big enough difference to warrant the extra weight.
In time it won't matter, because the 460 and the rest of the saws will also get a face lift.
Sorry to burst your bubble and I know it has been:deadhorse: but the 441 is more powerful than the 440 and you only feel the extra ounces when you are transporting the saw.:popcorn: :givebeer:

Canyon Angler said:

Canyon

Depends on the trees you plan to work. The 660 is overkill for most people in most areas. The only reason I got one is for milling, and now I use it because I own it. (And love it) My next saw will be a 372/460/7900 for a primary bucking/falling saw. There isn't much out there that a saw of that caliber couldn't handle.

Mark

There's just something about the 044 that would make it my choice over the 046. It's just that the 044 is so tried and so true.

For the paltry extra 6cc, the 046 is at the small end of the bigger curve.

However, if you could fit a big bore kit on an 044 then you'd have something.

JMO, but prefering an 046 over an 044 would be like wanting a 375 or 575 over the 372.

Why bugger with a good thing? The 044 or the 372 is the only saw any of us really need in most situations, everything else is mostly perfunctory. (I love that word)

John

DSC_0072.jpg

oldsaw said:
Depends on the trees you plan to work. The 660 is overkill for most people in most areas. The only reason I got one is for milling, and now I use it because I own it. (And love it) My next saw will be a 372/460/7900 for a primary bucking/falling saw. There isn't much out there that a saw of that caliber couldn't handle.

Mark

Yes, BUT........ a big bore kit on a 460 is the cats meow!!!!!!! Decent weight, with the power of the 660. The best of both worlds IMO! Find myself using it more and more all the time. Just have a heavy wallet, or a buddy that works at a gas station, 'cause this sicker is THIRSTY!!!!!
Andy

Gypo Logger said:
There's just something about the 044 that would make it my choice over the 046. It's just that the 044 is so tried and so true.

For the paltry extra 6cc, the 046 is at the small end of the bigger curve.

However, if you could fit a big bore kit on an 044 then you'd have something.

JMO, but prefering an 046 over an 044 would be like wanting a 375 or 575 over the 372.

Why bugger with a good thing? The 044 or the 372 is the only saw any of us really need in most situations, everything else is mostly perfunctory. (I love that word)

John

DSC_0072.jpg

John is speaking the gospel here.

Now that pic shows a setup with a propensity (not a bad word either) for cutting side grain. Have considered that coverless setup but I don't want to risk my hands so close to the chains for as many hours as I cut that way. I often think about trying to work out an efficient modification of the side cover for noodles, but with the high price of side covers even used I have not gotten started down that road.

Any one got pics of proven mods to side covers for long shavings? Used to know some cedar cutters that removed some of their side covers, but can't remember exactly what they did. Depending on the make of the saw, you still need enough of the cover left for strength.

Back