Why so difficult to tune a Stihl 361?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been running my 036/360s for years. Super easy to tune; easy to hear it 4 stroke when rich, not hard to get the L screw just perfect. Recently rebuilt a 361, tuning is giving me a headache. Hard to hear it 4 stroke, if I fatten it up enough to hear it well, but still clean up under heavy load, I’m at about 12k rpm. If I set it at 13.5k, it hardly 4 strokes at all, sounds too lean. L jet is super touchy. Small turn goes from lean chugging to pooling up. Any expert 361 tuners have any advice?

Been running my 036/360s for years. Super easy to tune; easy to hear it 4 stroke when rich, not hard to get the L screw just perfect. Recently rebuilt a 361, tuning is giving me a headache. Hard to hear it 4 stroke, if I fatten it up enough to hear it well, but still clean up under heavy load, I’m at about 12k rpm. If I set it at 13.5k, it hardly 4 strokes at all, sounds too lean. L jet is super touchy. Small turn goes from lean chugging to pooling up. Any expert 361 tuners have any advice?
OEM rebuild?

I'm not an expert tuner but I have noticed similar characteristics. With a 20" bar, If I tune it so I can easily hear it four stroke, it will seem to rich in the cut. If I tune it in the cut, It's really hard to hear it four stroke with no load. And it's anywhere from 14,200 to 14,500. Those things just scream.

I'm not an expert tuner but I have noticed similar characteristics. With a 20" bar, If I tune it so I can easily hear it four stroke, it will seem to rich in the cut. If I tune it in the cut, It's really hard to hear it four stroke with no load. And it's anywhere from 14,200 to 14,500. Those things just scream.
Exactly my experience! Maybe I’ll just get it really broke in and loose, then set it at 14k and forget it. It sure does cut better than my old 036... but it’s always wound up, kind of feels a little like the Husky 562 I had years ago

Exactly my experience! Maybe I’ll just get it really broke in and loose, then set it at 14k and forget it. It sure does cut better than my old 036... but it’s always wound up, kind of feels a little like the Husky 562 I had years ago
Yeah my Husqvarnas and my echo are really easy to hear the four stroke. FWIW, my 361 has a small muffler mod. In all fairness, I'm paranoid and usually tune my saws a little richer/slower than max listed RPMs. The 361 is my only Stihl and maybe they just aren't as tolerant for that.

Back