why we carry insurance.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeman82

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
friend of mine just graduated college with a degree in arborculture. or parks managment or something in that general area. saw him today at a gas station. told me he was workin at his aunt's house on some tree. tree was 20 feet from the house and was about 24" dbh. he went to cut the stick down, it fell on an angle and landed on the house. no insurance. guy was driving by, said he had a friend with a machine which they used to pick the stick off the house with to avoid any further damage. he didnt say if he had to pay the machine guy anything. however he did say that right now he owes his aunt at least 2 grandt. and the job was for free. go fig.:alien:

makes me wonder what mechanism he used for falling the tree??

i mentioned in a previous thread ("insurance") that a friend of mine and i cut some trees down for a few friends and family after research, dialog with old timers, and a slow & low start. although i still believe we have a lot to learn, i think i know enough that if you don't invest your time in real world education, you're going to pay. that 2,000 that he had to pay for house repairs could have gone a long way towards insurance.

obviously, this thread was a warning to me and other newbies to working with trees. very appropriate. my friend and i denied service to my own brother because his tree was too close to his shed - we felt, at this point in time, we didn't have the experience to tackle the job. besides, it was a beautiful tree - couldn't understand why he wanted it down?!

It's pretty hard to hit a house or any other target and not spend more fast than insurance would cost you. Repairing houses or people aint cheap! Look at it this way....if you can get insurance for $2000.00, the first job or two of your insurance "year" pays for it and you can breathe easier for the next 11 months. Also..never feel bad about not cutting a healthy, wonderful tree. I figure on some jobs I'd rather lose the work than kill a tree that will out live its current "owner". To me it's like being asked to top a tree...sometimes ya can educate & sometimes ya just gotta stand on your moral tree-sense & walk away:angel:

That aint the half of it, My insurance on an estimated 25k anual gross is under $900. So if I work 16 hrs a week (for myself) then my liability is just over a buck an hour.

I cannot afford not to have it.

makes sense (that's why i was asking for ins. company references).

i like the "going local" idea. also seems to make sense. thanks for all the advice!

If you don't want the job, let a competant buddy know about it.

"out of my league, but i know a guy who does that work for around 4k. Wanna talk to him?"

Back