"Wicked Work Saw" 046/ms460 build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
first things first. I didnt check beginning numbers on this saw because ive done so many of them and know where im going to set final numbers that its not a needed step. first thing I do is get it on the lathe and get to cutting. this cylinder has about .035 out of the combustion chamber then I take .045 off the base to get a squish of .025.

20131229_160505.jpg 20131229_155056.jpg

Blowdown is degrees with top of cylinder above all ports. Effectively a completely sealed combustion chamber. Correct?

I've noticed some builders give timing numbers in degrees of the durations and some give just straight numbers of when the ports open...mind explaining why that is...I'm stupid and don't follow the duration readings very well

blowdown is referring to the amount of timing between the opening of the exhaust and the opening of the transfers.

Gotcha. So on the down stroke, exhaust opens 18* before the transfers.

I've noticed some builders give timing numbers in degrees of the durations and some give just straight numbers of when the ports open...mind explaining why that is...I'm stupid and don't follow the duration readings very well
I have always used duration on my timing since back in the days of building car engines. when I bought a cam I bought in by the duration not by when the valves opened

Back