widow maker help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redfin

Fish & Chips!!!
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask but if not please move.

I work for a telco in my area and we have a lot of right of way that we have the maintance of the cables to tend to. In one of our pole lines deep in the woods there are two trees laying down on the strand.

This wouldn't be such an issue if I could get my bucket truck in and start working from the top down. I sure as hell won't try to cut these from a ladder.

The other problem with these trees is the roots are being undercut by a nearby stream. I did manage to get the smaller of the two down today but it wasn't without some head scratching. When I first started undercutting about shoulder height I noticed my kerf was closing. This telling me the roots were under tension and wanting to return to their original position.

I made several relief cuts from the underside and then finished from the top. The top of the tree did fall but the base stood itself almost straight back up.

This tree was roughy 8" diameter. The other tree still laying is closer to 18". What do you think the best plan of attack would be. If you think it would require rigging then I will call professionals.

Thanks

sounds like no big deal for an experienced faller and you may as well call one. theres a few PA folks on here that might not mind a little contract.

Your absolutely correct about there being plenty of professionals willing to do the work, but remember I also get paid for this work. I am not afraid to do the work either. I was mainly looking for a better plan of attack.

As I said this would require rigging to do safely I will step aside.

it sounds like you need help so thats what I suggest. since you're paid to do this, then get paid to find someone who can handle it. cause THATS what you're paid to do. safety trumps the bottom line, in fact, it is the bottom line. trust me, ask your boss.

One particularly grim reality is the advantage of not "cutting about shoulder height" but perhaps choosing somewhere around the knees, that way your more likely risking something around the knees rather than that really important stuff called vitals there in your chest cavity.

you obviously know enough to know your not sure about this, so get someone who is, and learn something, not on line, but on the gorund.

Good of you to stop and ask. However, while general online advice can be great and helpful, acting on such advice about a specific unseen hazard is a fast way to get hurt or killed. Get "on-the-scene" advice from someone who has been there before. No sensible person will fault you for that, even if falling this second tree turns out to be a walk in the park. Ron

When you say eight inches, is it like when I say something is "eight inches" when in reality it may be more like 5 and a half inches?
Seriously though, I can't even understand what you are saying. Are these trees leaning against the lines? Leaning toward the lines? If the trees fall in their desired lay what will they hit?
Even with those answers, I'd have nothing constructive to offer, but others might

Last edited:
that's just it, there is no way for any of us to tell the op how to do this. I doubt if I could tell him how if I was standing right there. these guys told ya right red, seek local help/advice.

Your absolutely correct about there being plenty of professionals willing to do the work, but remember I also get paid for this work. I am not afraid to do the work either. I was mainly looking for a better plan of attack.

As I said this would require rigging to do safely I will step aside.

You've had some good advice here. It might not have been what you wanted to hear but it will serve you well...if you let it.

You've had some good advice here. It might not have been what you wanted to hear but it will serve you well...if you let it.

I would not have posted if I wasn't willing to "listen" to what has been said. I will be the first to uphold my ego, but it will be on jobs I am competent on completing.

I have been working in my trade for almost 18yrs and I take safety very seriosly. You have to, when your gaffing a pole or working in a bucket under power.

The tree is laying with the roots still grounded on our cable strand. I have cut many trees that have come down on our cable before, some larger diameter than what's down now. None however have done what this first tree did with the roots.

Thanks for all your advise. I will call a tree professional and I will observe.

Sounds as if you are going to do this any way. I have clear many miles of line in my time.

1. Don't attempt to do this without someone there with you to help or call for help if things go bad.
2. Get a rope around your line or strand or what ever you call it. Tie it down, use a set of 4 or more part rope blocks.
Tie that thing down lower than where the tree weight has it sagged to. Use rope up to the weight rating.
3. Get a another rope in the tree for a tag line, a VERY long rope. Up as close to the top as possible
4. On your main tie down rope tie it off so that you can come off easily and it won't get away from you.
5. Cut low, cut slow and pay attention. Relieve the bind SLOWLY. I don't say this often, but, NO EAR PLUGS.
6. Once the bind is gone or manageable, finish off one up from the the bottom of your reliefs cuts.
7. Once the tree is hanging on the line and not touching the ground, tie off to the butt as high as you can get.
8. Start cutting chunks off the butt, until it is just barely about to balance.
9. Pull opposite directions on your ropes, it should pull the butt under the line and the top back over the top.
This pivot should keep the limbs from hanging to badly and the it will come crashing to the ground.
10. You should be able to come off your rope and let the line back up to where it wants to be. SLOWLY.

If there is power with in 50 feet of any part of the swing, have it dropped or de-energized and GROUNDED.

This will get you through the job as safe as anyone can tell you how with out being there to help and show you how.

DO NOT BE AFRAID TO WALK AWAY. You may get paid for this work, but your boss would much rather pay a contractor with more skill and experience, than have a workers comp claim and or an on the job death.

Didn't see your last post, good thinking about getting someone else. Watch them closely and ask lots of questions.

Owl

Sounds as if you are going to do this any way. I have clear many miles of line in my time.

1. Don't attempt to do this without someone there with you to help or call for help if things go bad.
2. Get a rope around your line or strand or what ever you call it. Tie it down, use a set of 4 or more part rope blocks.
Tie that thing down lower than where the tree weight has it sagged to. Use rope up to the weight rating.
3. Get a another rope in the tree for a tag line, a VERY long rope. Up as close to the top as possible
4. On your main tie down rope tie it off so that you can come off easily and it won't get away from you.
5. Cut low, cut slow and pay attention. Relieve the bind SLOWLY. I don't say this often, but, NO EAR PLUGS.
6. Once the bind is gone or manageable, finish off one up from the the bottom of your reliefs cuts.
7. Once the tree is hanging on the line and not touching the ground, tie off to the butt as high as you can get.
8. Start cutting chunks off the butt, until it is just barely about to balance.
9. Pull opposite directions on your ropes, it should pull the butt under the line and the top back over the top.
This pivot should keep the limbs from hanging to badly and the it will come crashing to the ground.
10. You should be able to come off your rope and let the line back up to where it wants to be. SLOWLY.

If there is power with in 50 feet of any part of the swing, have it dropped or de-energized and GROUNDED.

This will get you through the job as safe as anyone can tell you how with out being there to help and show you how.

DO NOT BE AFRAID TO WALK AWAY. You may get paid for this work, but your boss would much rather pay a contractor with more skill and experience, than have a workers comp claim and or an on the job death.

Didn't see your last post, good thinking about getting someone else. Watch them closely and ask lots of questions.

Owl

Holy crap that's a great post.

Are you saying I don't?!.....Well, if you aren't..... you certainly should be!

No. Your posts make sense. Well, they make sense a lot of times. No, that's not quite right either. Your posts make sense more often than not? That's a little better but still not what I'm looking for. There are occasions, rare but gleaming like jewels in a coal pile, when your posts make sense...yeah that's it, that describes it.
Where's the edit button?

Back