widow maker help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My shop is in altoona. I told the foreman about it today. They are going to have it taken down.

I was thinking about this tree a lot today. And the safest way to release the tension from the roots. Considering the tree is already laying down with its full weight on the cable. Would it not be feasble to cut a standard notch on the bottom, and back cut to make your hinge?

Theroretically the tree would do the same thing as in a stanard fall except the roots would move and not the top.

Husk is a genius with an arching plug wire! LMAO! How's that?

Pretty good. Kinda like a high speed miss under load? Does just fine idling or at slow speeds but falls apart when you give it the gas...that what you meant?:D

I sure hope we don't wind up in Texas needing medical care...he'll get his revenge on us.:buttkick:

No, not if it's down and in a bind...you wouldn't get your face cut in before it would close up. Owl seems like he has it going on. I have never taken a tree off of a power line ever...and I don't plan on doing one in my near future either. I wish I could see a picture though...it is hard to grasp exactly what you are seeing through words. Good luck.

When i was more active with the fire department during bad storms that power was out in the whole area and there were tons of trees on wires and roads we cut trees off of wires to open up roads. This has only happen 2 or 3 times since I started running with the fire company. You have to be real careful when you got the weight of the tree on the lines. I have seen the lines just sit there after you remove the tree and I have also seen the lines sling shot up and throw what was left of tree.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Normally I would start from the top and work my way down lightening the load on the strand. Depending on how far the cable is pulled down I would lanyard the strand down to keep the "slingshot" to a minimum.

I'm eager to see how they attack this tree. Hopefully I will be able to be there.

Since you will likely see this situation again in your line of work (possibly under more hurried conditions), if at all possible make it a point to be there. While the physics may seem simple there can be a lot going on that you can't predict especially with little to no experience in these types of hangups. I have only cut a few - all closer in size to your tree #1 than your tree in question. Absence some extraordinary circumstance, I will never cut one again. Of the few I have done (no rigging), I have seen trees lift up and balance on the wire trying to decide which way to fall and I have seen trees catapult. When the last one I cut finally came down, it sent a wave down the wire that knocked a similar size tree down several pole lengths away. This secondary fall was a tree I had purposely skipped as being too dangerous for this cowboy but unknown (and out of sight) to me some other cutters had moved in next to it to cut other wood. No one got hurt but it sure woke this volunteer up to the fact that I was cutting way beyond my competence and taking risks that were not justified. This last tree also caused me to jettison a cocky (and dangerous) attitude that was developing in me - you know the one that says I can do it my way because it should work (or has worked before), it's fast, and it doesn't require all the stuff and procedures the pros use. Ron

Back