Wildthing Races at GTG's.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thechknhwk

thechknhwk

ArboristSite Operative
Sorry for the double posting, but I thought I would share this since I just read 40 pages of wild thing wildness.

I guess I'll have to venture to make this my first post. I have a poulan 2175 WILD THING, and it's a 50th anniversary edition no less. I got it for christmas when I was 19 or 20 from my parents - I am 34 now. I never cut a stick of wood before I had that saw, and I only asked for it because I wanted to have a poulan like I remembered my grandpa having when I was a kid, and he cut wood for heat because that's what he could afford to do. My dad got it for a song and a dance brand new from home depot due to some sale and the fact that they didn't have the case they were advertising with it - $75 I think.

I cut with it occasionally here and there since I had it, cleared about 4 acres of pine with it, but a couple years ago I moved onto some land that has been devestated by emerald ash borer, so I decided I would sell me some firewood instead of letting it stand there and rot. Anyways I cut over 25 face cord last year, **** way bigger than that saw should cut, one of the trees netted 5 face cord and had to be bucked from both sides with an 18" bar. I got 7 face cords into this season's cutting and snapped the crank where it attaches to the clutch. I would estimate she cut about 50 face cord of wood before it went tits up. I ran it hard and showed it no mercy, it's had a couple of trees dropped on it and had the handle replaced. I went out and bought a stihl farmboss and I'm happy with it, but I want to resurrect the poulan to use as a limbing saw. I am hoping someone has a 2175 parts saw or a bottom end?

thanks for listening to my first post rant:cheers:

roncoinc

roncoinc

Official Stihl Disser
Sorry for the double posting, but I thought I would share this since I just read 40 pages of wild thing wildness.

I guess I'll have to venture to make this my first post. I have a poulan 2175 WILD THING, and it's a 50th anniversary edition no less. I got it for christmas when I was 19 or 20 from my parents - I am 34 now. I never cut a stick of wood before I had that saw, and I only asked for it because I wanted to have a poulan like I remembered my grandpa having when I was a kid, and he cut wood for heat because that's what he could afford to do. My dad got it for a song and a dance brand new from home depot due to some sale and the fact that they didn't have the case they were advertising with it - $75 I think.

I cut with it occasionally here and there since I had it, cleared about 4 acres of pine with it, but a couple years ago I moved onto some land that has been devestated by emerald ash borer, so I decided I would sell me some firewood instead of letting it stand there and rot. Anyways I cut over 25 face cord last year, **** way bigger than that saw should cut, one of the trees netted 5 face cord and had to be bucked from both sides with an 18" bar. I got 7 face cords into this season's cutting and snapped the crank where it attaches to the clutch. I would estimate she cut about 50 face cord of wood before it went tits up. I ran it hard and showed it no mercy, it's had a couple of trees dropped on it and had the handle replaced. I went out and bought a stihl farmboss and I'm happy with it, but I want to resurrect the poulan to use as a limbing saw. I am hoping someone has a 2175 parts saw or a bottom end?

thanks for listening to my first post rant:cheers:

I got several,PM me.

briantutt

briantutt

Addicted to ArboristSite
Here is mine...

attachment.php

This is hilarious :hmm3grin2orange:

Terry Syd

Terry Syd

Addicted to ArboristSite
Interesting comment about the unplated bores and the rings not holding up. I've had some experience with old Hondas where something like the steel camshaft would run in the aluminum casting. It always amazed me that the steel would wear and not the aluminum.

For cheap production, it makes a lot of sense to plate the piston and not the bore. I wonder how long the rings will last in these things compared to a quality saw.

67L36Driver
This is hilarious :hmm3grin2orange:

Yup.

I just got six in a pile last Tuesday and am now making one good(?) one out of four of them.

Goona go for the Super Stock class. 42cc anti-vibe engine in a 40cc chassis. Dark Craftsman green. Minor muff mod ( just drilled holes bigger and more of them). 16" bar for low drag.

Anybody need small Poulan leftovers?

Outlaw5.0

Outlaw5.0

ArboristSite Guru
Yup.

I just got six in a pile last Tuesday and am now making one good(?) one out of four of them.

Goona go for the Super Stock class. 42cc anti-vibe engine in a 40cc chassis. Dark Craftsman green. Minor muff mod ( just drilled holes bigger and more of them). 16" bar for low drag.

A 42cc cylinder and piston. The saw is in great conditon, just leaned it out messing with the carb and toasted it.

Last edited:
thechknhwk

thechknhwk

ArboristSite Operative
Yup.

I need a bottom end for a 2175.

67L36Driver
I need a bottom end for a 2175.

How many cc or bore & stroke?

I have engines from:
Poulan model 2050 33cc
Poulan model 2150 34cc
Craftsman 40cc (at least that's what the starter cover said, model tag was gone.)

They all look just alike. Can anyone tell us the stroke or are these just a variation in bore size?

I'm willing to send you all three crank-rod-piston assembys (free) but why waste postage.

B.T.W. I have relatives in Frankenmuth.

Last edited:
zogger

zogger

Tree Freak
what goes wrong with these saws?

So, obviously here these are the premier joke saw..just wondering what exactly goes wrong with them besides "everything"? They must work somewhat new from the store, but then what happens, what is the most common failure aspects to these things? You see so many of them for sale used and cheap...but..you guys are confident enough to get them into "racing" mode, so it must be possible to keep them running. Outside of the normal keep it clean and sharp chain and fresh mix, what else?

rms61moparman

rms61moparman

Addicted to ArboristSite
So, obviously here these are the premier joke saw..just wondering what exactly goes wrong with them besides "everything"? They must work somewhat new from the store, but then what happens, what is the most common failure aspects to these things? You see so many of them for sale used and cheap...but..you guys are confident enough to get them into "racing" mode, so it must be possible to keep them running. Outside of the normal keep it clean and sharp chain and fresh mix, what else?

The vast majority of these saws that you see that won't run are due to owner negligence.
They are bought by the unknowing for a clean-up or some light yard maintenance and when through are put away with fuel still in them and not touched for another year or more.
The fuel sitting in them trashes the carb and fuel lines and when they won't run the next time the owner wants to use them they are tossed aside as junk.
Many are straight gassed by their owners for a simple lack of knowledge, and they come very lean from the factory to stay ahead of the E.P.A.
Add a few long cuts with a dull chain and there is another heat/lean seize.
They are actually dang good little saws and if tuned and cared for properly will give good service.
They, like all homeowner saws are subjected to myriad abuses by owners who think a $110.00 saw should perform and last like a $700.00 saw.
How long would a Ford Ranger last if you tried to use it as a semi???

Mike

Arrowhead

Arrowhead

RARE BREED
I never messed with one prior to the race idea. They are a cheap saw (plastic clamshell). I think a lot of the bad rap came from the fact they are purple. They actually are simple to work on, and have a beefy bottom end in them for what they are... crank, bearings, rod etc. Since I started messing with them, I found a couple where the carb block loosened up from the cylinder, sucked air and scored the jug.

Being the saw is mostly plastic, checking screws/bolts for loosening up is the key to keeping these saw running a while. I had mine over 15000 rpm and the bottom end stayed together. Like Moparman mentioned, lack of knowledge and no maintenance destroys these saws. They are cheaply built, so some regular maintenance is required.

67L36Driver
The vast majority of these saws that you see that won't run are due to owner negligence.
They are bought by the unknowing for a clean-up or some light yard maintenance and when through are put away with fuel still in them and not touched for another year or more.
The fuel sitting in them trashes the carb and fuel lines and when they won't run the next time the owner wants to use them they are tossed aside as junk.
Many are straight gassed by their owners for a simple lack of knowledge, and they come very lean from the factory to stay ahead of the E.P.A.
Add a few long cuts with a dull chain and there is another heat/lean seize.
They are actually dang good little saws and if tuned and cared for properly will give good service.
They, like all homeowner saws are subjected to myriad abuses by owners who think a $110.00 saw should perform and last like a $700.00 saw.
How long would a Ford Ranger last if you tried to use it as a semi???

Mike

Exactly my conclusion from the remains of six I tore down this week.

The tamper proof carb mixture screws contribute greatly to early failure. A big "Thank You!" to the EPA.

The best of the six had earlier model screwdriver slot mixture screws, showed heavy use (evidenced by the bar oil/sawdust buildup under the engine) and still had 150 psi compression. It had died due to no spark.

View attachment 163525

Latest posts