Wildthing Races at GTG's.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, obviously here these are the premier joke saw..just wondering what exactly goes wrong with them besides "everything"? They must work somewhat new from the store, but then what happens, what is the most common failure aspects to these things? You see so many of them for sale used and cheap...but..you guys are confident enough to get them into "racing" mode, so it must be possible to keep them running. Outside of the normal keep it clean and sharp chain and fresh mix, what else?

Aside from the top ends burning up from lean settings & straight gassing, The other most common thing I have seen is the plastic oil pump gear getting stripped from the oil pump being packed with saw chips. The intake block loosening up from the cylinder, and the starter cords pulling out.
But as said before, if the saw is tuned and maintained properly, it will last a long time in the hands of a casual user.

Aside from the top ends burning up from lean settings & straight gassing, The other most common thing I have seen is the plastic oil pump gear getting stripped from the oil pump being packed with saw chips. The intake block loosening up from the cylinder, and the starter cords pulling out.
But as said before, if the saw is tuned and maintained properly, it will last a long time in the hands of a casual user.

I just got a Wildthing dropped off in the back of my truck with this problem. Has anyone found a source for just the pump rod and not the complete pump assembly? Or am I dreaming?

I just got a Wildthing dropped off in the back of my truck with this problem. Has anyone found a source for just the pump rod and not the complete pump assembly? Or am I dreaming?

You're not dreaming, but aren't awake either. Too many of these saws around with the same pump on them to worry about switching the gear or rod. I believe that any of these interchange from the 30something cc all the way to the mighty Wild Thing. Need one?

You're not dreaming, but aren't awake either. Too many of these saws around with the same pump on them to worry about switching the gear or rod. I believe that any of these interchange from the 30something cc all the way to the mighty Wild Thing. Need one?

I do.

I got a Wild Thing the other day that had been thru a flood and sat with water in it for a month or so. I first thought well its junk but I took off the muffler and sparkplug and started cranking til it was dry. I gave it a bath and removed the limiter caps and spark arrestor. All cleaned up I reassembled with new plug and oh boy the bearings were rough. I kept after it and it seemed to get better with more I ran it. I have put 4-5 tanks through it now and it seems to be a good runner for those odd jobs around the yard. My 5 year old daughter spotted it one day and fell in love with it. She now asks, "Daddy can we go start my purple chainsaw". I cant get rid of it now that we have a good connection with that silly purple chainsaw. I wouldnt recommend buying a wildthing but owner neglect is definately #1 cause of any chainsaw failure!!

I got a Wild Thing the other day that had been thru a flood and sat with water in it for a month or so. I first thought well its junk but I took off the muffler and sparkplug and started cranking til it was dry. I gave it a bath and removed the limiter caps and spark arrestor. All cleaned up I reassembled with new plug and oh boy the bearings were rough. I kept after it and it seemed to get better with more I ran it. I have put 4-5 tanks through it now and it seems to be a good runner for those odd jobs around the yard. My 5 year old daughter spotted it one day and fell in love with it. She now asks, "Daddy can we go start my purple chainsaw". I cant get rid of it now that we have a good connection with that silly purple chainsaw. I wouldnt recommend buying a wildthing but owner neglect is definately #1 cause of any chainsaw failure!!

Thats pretty cool, Homelite. She can race it at the GTG!

this is a dull 3/8lp. I now have a rim sprocket set up off 2054 jred i just need a .325 B & C
[video=youtube;W8inzgPFZ0g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8inzgPFZ0g[/video]

I have a Wood Shark... now I'm thinking I need a Wild Thing to keep it company setting on the shelf in the garage.:rock: Those crazy colors and graphics look good and add decoration setting next to my other drab tools. And the local Menards is selling them cheap now.:hmm3grin2orange:

this is a dull 3/8lp. I now have a rim sprocket set up off 2054 jred i just need a .325 B & C
[video=youtube;W8inzgPFZ0g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8inzgPFZ0g[/video]

Wow! There is nothing more impressive than a Wild Thing with a dull chain!:hmm3grin2orange:

I have a Wood Shark... now I'm thinking I need a Wild Thing to keep it company setting on the shelf in the garage.:rock: Those crazy colors and graphics look good and add decoration setting next to my other drab tools. And the local Menards is selling them cheap now.:hmm3grin2orange:

That's funny. I'm working on a Wood Shark right now and I was just given a 2375 Wild Thing with a fried oil pump.
My next saw is going to be a Wood Shark. Light "flickable" saw...just right for the wife. :msp_biggrin:

Latest posts

Back