Will price of Brand New 346xp's go up or down?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OntheLevel

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
In the USA due to EPA regs:

Will 346xp's do a MS200t and go up wildly in value?

Or will AT, M-tronic, fuel injected etc, surpass the old guard?

Wondering what the experts thought.???

Adam

In the USA due to EPA regs:

Will 346xp's do a MS200t and go up wildly in value?

Or will AT, M-tronic, fuel injected etc, surpass the old guard?

Wondering what the experts thought.???

Adam

Depends how well that new stuff holds up it is a new so it may have some trouble . Look at what happened to new trucks some of them just break right away.

i have a couple of 2 year old ones that are tired, that i would give you

That's very kind CATDIESEL. I might buy them off of you for spare parts. I wouldn't feel right getting that for free. But I already have an almost new 346xp and a 2153.

I was just wondering what the saw builders thought about the 550xp.

I don't have nor do I need a 550xp, but I heard there have been some minor problems. As I remember from past videos the 346/2153 were a little faster also.

Given both circumstances I was wondering if as a crazy investment, it would be wise to buy another Brand New 346xp NE non-cat. Keep it as a shelf queen. Brand spankin new.

But it's probably the CAD talking.

That's very kind CATDIESEL. I might buy them off of you for spare parts. I wouldn't feel right getting that for free. But I already have an almost new 346xp and a 2153.

I was just wondering what the saw builders thought about the 550xp.

I don't have nor do I need a 550xp, but I heard there have been some minor problems. As I remember from past videos the 346/2153 were a little faster also.

Given both circumstances I was wondering if as a crazy investment, it would be wise to buy another Brand New 346xp NE non-cat. Keep it as a shelf queen. Brand spankin new.

But it's probably the CAD talking.
Only if it is something you love foremost, use for work and cant do without,if that is the case by all means buy 2.

As Brad mentioned I don't think the 346XP will go down the same path as the 200T.
The 550XP is actually at least as good as the 346XP whereas many arborists have a distinct hatred for the 201T and word has got around that it's a slug (out the box) and to be avoided.
Just remember that despite the 550XP having some issues the 200T wasn't bulletproof either - the carbys had some issues here and there but at least it was an easy fix.

Last edited:
Only if it is something you love foremost, use for work and cant do without,if that is the case by all means buy 2.

As Brad mentioned I don't think the 346XP will go down the same path as the 200T.
The 550XP is actually at least as good as the 346XP whereas many arborists have a distinct hatred for the 201T and word has got around that it's a slug (out the box) and to be avoided.
Just remember that despite the 550XP having some issues the 200T wasn't bulletproof either - the carbys had some issues here and there but at least it was an easy fix.

Honestly I need another 50cc saw like a hole in my head. It would be strictly an investment.

I just had a feeling that the evil EPA would cause us to have wimpier saws from now on.:msp_thumbdn:

But you guy are making me realize the 201 really is that bad stock. That is why the irrational prices of 200t's.

I kind or think of the auto tune and m-tronics saws as amsoil- its really good but its one of the fist high performance oils that is recommended to be run at a 100:1 mix. Normally the first of its kind has issues some where.

Sent from my USCCADR3305 using Tapatalk 2

I kind or think of the auto tune and m-tronics saws as amsoil- its really good but its one of the fist high performance oils that is recommended to be run at a 100:1 mix. Normally the first of its kind has issues some where.

Sent from my USCCADR3305 using Tapatalk 2

I couldn't agree more with new stuff. Sometimes it's phenomenal. But usually there's problems.

I think it has to be very difficult for these engineers at the saw comapanies. Seems like the EPA is making them jump through hoops.
Saw can only be this loud. It can only emit x exhaust etc.

But guys who do production cutting expect them to cut better than the old

Last edited:
Sure there will be teething problems here and there. I know an MS441C that needed a new carby and there have been vent issues with the 550XP's.
The truth is though that the systems on the MT and AT saws aren't actually that high tech in the grand scheme of things.
Have a look back to the mid-late 80's with the earlier EFI systems on cars - they rarely caused an issue and 25 years on the biggest problems with these vehicles isn't the engine management.
The only downside I can see with the MT/AT saws is the fact that you have little chance of fixing them yourself if something goes wrong with the management side of things.

Wow this is the first time after reading a couple of posts here that I am NOT going to buy a saw. :yoyo:

Thanks to everyone for their input.:msp_smile:

Adam

200T didn't have any competition in its class, and the replacement was a dud. The 346 has plenty of competition, and the replacement seems to be a worthy of the title.

They might keep their price, but no way in hell anything like the 200t scenario is happening. :)

alll joking aside, once all the bugs are worked out of the 550's, the 346 will just be another saw that was outdated/updated. just like the 026/ms260/ms261

Latest posts

Back