Will running other than recommended bar hurt?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Avery

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm looking at a Stihl MS 270 and the Stihl site recommends a certain length bar and chain type.

After reading many posts on this site it's clear that people run a variety of chain types and bar lengths, apparently with no adverse effects.

Is it trial and error? I mean, if I run a bar several inches longer than the Stihl recommendation and find that I still get good power, am I damaging the saw? Voiding the warantee? Being otherwise unaware of something?

Thanks,

Avery

If you run too long a bar on it, you run the risk of not enough oil, and diminished performance. performance can be reattained by running skip chain, but you're porbably still short on oil. ex: my ms460 will pull a 36" B&C, full comp in softwood great, but the chain runs dry even with the oiler all the way up. A quick swap of the B&C over to the ms660, and all is well, and it pulls it better too.
My pamplet shows the ms270 recommended up to a 20" how much bigger are you planning on going, and how often?
-Ralph

So long as the mount is correct for the saw, and the oil hole mounts up you will be fine. Bars and chains come in a variety of types, and the ones recommended by Stihl may or may not be correct for your application.

Don't go too crazy with putting a bar that is too long for the saw's power, as cutting will be slowed. They normally list a range of bars that fit the saw and will work well, in addition to the recommended length. So long as you are within this range, you should be fine. If you are going outside of the range listed, performance and oiling of the bar will normally suffer. Too much bar will make the saw cut slow, but is unlikely to cause damage, because the cutting will usually be too slow and you will stop cutting and be advised to swap to a shorter, more appropriate length.

On an MS 270, more than a 20" bar is asking too much of it, and that is even pushing it in some applications. Stihl lists green label bars and chains for that saw, due to the potential for kickback, and in the interest of safety. They do this though for all their saws. The intent is that inexperienced users won't end up with a bar and chain combo that puts them at greater risk of harming themselves. For experienced users, more aggressive chains and bars are available.

begleytree said:
If you run too long a bar on it, you run the risk of not enough oil, and diminished performance. performance can be reattained by running skip chain, but you're porbably still short on oil. ex: my ms460 will pull a 36" B&C, full comp in softwood great, but the chain runs dry even with the oiler all the way up. A quick swap of the B&C over to the ms660, and all is well, and it pulls it better too.
My pamplet shows the ms270 recommended up to a 20" how much bigger are you planning on going, and how often?
-Ralph

I got some good info from Lakeside. The piston and adjustment screw from the 460 with a full wrap handle bar will swap into the oiler of the 460 and puts out .2 oz/per minute more oil. I ordered mine, and the piston came in, but the adjuster is back ordered.

Man, you guys are fast. Thought everyone would be out tonight drinking green beer (at least I'm stuck on a ship in Africa, so I have an excuse).

The reason I ask is simply because although I understand that there's a range of bar lengths that one 'can' run on a given saw, Stihl 'recommends' a combination bar length/chain type.

Below its specs (online), there's the following:

STIHL recommends #3634 (26 RMC3-67) OILOMATIC® saw chain and 16" 3003-000-6813 Ematic™ guide bar combination..

I'd like to run a 20" because I already have a smaller saw (Jonsered 490 w/ 16" bar and as long as I'm considering buying a more powerful saw I'd like a longer bar for bigger jobs.

Not thinking about putting a 5' bar or anything outrageous on it; I'm just trying to find out whether departing from their recommendations will be the end of the world or not.

I'm suspecting not, but am also just a homeowner learning my way around the chainsaw world.

Thanks,

Avery

Just curious as to why you're buying a saw so close in size to the one you already have? If you need a 20" bar occasionally, buy a bar and put it on your Jonsered. Those saws are the same size class of saw, so I don't see what you are hoping to gain here. If you want another saw to drive a 20" bar, I'd look at something larger if it was me.

That's a sensible answer, TP, at this point. But when this saw goes by the wayside I'm going to try a Stihl, I think.

My question is, to some degree, for the sake of academics and to try to learn what I can.

Just my .02

Avery said:
Man, you guys are fast. Thought everyone would be out tonight drinking green beer (at least I'm stuck on a ship in Africa, so I have an excuse).

The reason I ask is simply because although I understand that there's a range of bar lengths that one 'can' run on a given saw, Stihl 'recommends' a combination bar length/chain type.

Below its specs (online), there's the following:

STIHL recommends #3634 (26 RMC3-67) OILOMATIC® saw chain and 16" 3003-000-6813 Ematic™ guide bar combination..

I'd like to run a 20" because I already have a smaller saw (Jonsered 490 w/ 16" bar and as long as I'm considering buying a more powerful saw I'd like a longer bar for bigger jobs.

Not thinking about putting a 5' bar or anything outrageous on it; I'm just trying to find out whether departing from their recommendations will be the end of the world or not.

I'm suspecting not, but am also just a homeowner learning my way around the chainsaw world.

Thanks,

Avery

My buddy bought two saws close to the same size, totally pointless!!! Buy one bigger that what you need, and one for what you need, you won't regret it!!!
Stihl list my ms 390 as being able to run a 28" b/c, will it do it, maybe, will it run up to what I need, no way in :censored: !!! You want a 28" buy a 440 or larger! You want to run a 20" buy a 361 or 390, if you are on a budget and can get away with an 18" buy a husky 350 and be happy:)
But something I have learned, and will be reiterated here, is never put to large of a b/c on a saw, it will just :censored: you off!!!!!!
Andy

I have 15" and 18" bars with 0.325 RM/RS chais on MS270 and can say that if chains are sharp the both bars are proper for it, but 18" bar is heavy compared to 15". I imagine how heavy will 20", some 2 15" bars by weight and how unconviently heavy the saw nose will with it.
I think that in europe rarely more than 18" bar is necessary. If it is, then only for felling saw, but there in no forests with so high age where large diameter trees are growing, not siberia here ;-)

That same Stihl site that you referenced provides some pretty good illustrations of full skip.

I guess it's two tie straps between each cutter.

From my experience, the 270 balances best with an 18in bar. It will probably pull a 20, but I would probably step up to a 361 or 440 for that.

I'm not the biggest guy around; so I played with several saws that would compliment my 026/260 Stihl saws. I tried, 036/360 Pro/361 and 440. By actually trying them that had different bar lengths; I ended up with two 361's that will be my basic saws for a long time. I run a short 16" bar on one for limbing and a 20" bar of the other for all other use. I am now so used to the weight of those two saws that I can interchange with my 026 with an 18" bar almost without noticing the difference. But when you step up to that 044/440 its just too heavy for me personally. Obviously, I recommend you get a 361 and put whatever bar on it you want, from a 16" to a 24". Tom

I go along with the others. If I want a saw that will run a 20" bar, I look for ones that are recommended for a 20" bar knowin that in a pinch I could probably go up to 24" for occasional use. Buying a saw arecommended for a 16 or 18" bar and putting a 20" on it sorta takes you out of the 'longer bar when needed' options.

My last purchase was an MS310 that the dealer wanted to put a 24" on it, I insisted on a 20" - I don't think the 310 would be very happy with a 24 - yes, it would run it but...

Harry K

My info could be wrong, but the stihl pamplet I have here says the recommended bar length for the ms270 is 16" to 20". Thats what I was basing my previous post on, along with the assumption that he was wanting to run a 24".
I haven't looked at the website for months, is there an information change regarding some saws?
-Ralph

begleytree said:
My info could be wrong, but the stihl pamplet I have here says the recommended bar length for the ms270 is 16" to 20". Thats what I was basing my previous post on, along with the assumption that he was wanting to run a 24".
I haven't looked at the website for months, is there an information change regarding some saws?
-Ralph
Their web site states 16-18 for the 270. But I dont know :censored: :censored: . Here's Stihls web for bar sizes recommended. Are you going to WJ's gtg Apr 1 begleytree?

Last edited:
So it does look like a change on bar sizes then! :confused:

No cut4fun, I won't be going to that GTG. Might catch up with you on the next one.
-Ralph

Latest posts

Back