Will running other than recommended bar hurt?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 270 is a 50cc saw. Lots of people seem to like 20" full skip on a 260. The 260 is also a 50cc saw.

Stihl (or their lawyers) are not going to recommend full skip on any consumer saw because full skip is not a reduced kickback chain.

20" full comp (regular chain) might just be a few too many teeth to pull for the 270. If Stihl reckons the 270 can pull 18" full comp, 20" full skip should be a walk in the park.

Cut4Fun, You're right...for some reason I thought my saw wasn't as powerful as those specs tell me it is. After coming here a week ago as a total noob and reading non-stop I guess I confused myself with information overload.

I think Turnkey4099 hit it on the head when he recommended buying a saw that's recommended for a 20" and having the leeway to go up in size if desired.

Thanks to Sawn and SmithEC for the info on chain types. I've learned more in a week than in five years of using the saw (don't worry, I use full-on protection and am cautious. I just didn't know much about the technical side, since the saw hasn't needed much work).

That Jonsey 490 should be happy with a 20" bar- I own a 590 that is so equipped. The difference between 490/590 is ....? Actually I'm not sure that there IS a difference other than externals. If my old memory is functioning the pistons/cylinders are interchangeable...Anyway, 50ccs will pull a sharp chain on a 20 inch bar. If you want more a than 20 then move beyond the 60cc level.(Around 70ccs is where you get maximum speed with a 24")

I think the MS270 will be just fine with a 20". Be aware that a lot of these guys are going to recommend you go with the shortest bar that will get the job done. I like long bars, and so do a lot of guys on the west coast. I run a 25" bar on my 390 and an 18" on my 025. Is this the best chain speed, probably not, but I have cut some BIG trees with both those saws and it hasn't hurt them a bit.

woodfarmer said:
could you run stihl 0.50 chain in an oregon 0.58 bar, or would the odds of the chain coming off be greater?

The chain will be poorly supported due to the excess clearance in the oversize bar, and will flop around in the groove. The chain will chatter, wobble and not cut as smoothly or as straight as it will with a correctly sized bar groove. It may also be thrown out of the groove more easily as well. Either buy an 0.50 bar, or run 0.58 chain on the one you have.

Diesel JD said:
I think the MS270 will be just fine with a 20". ...
That depends on the users expectations as to cutting speed.
If you choose skip chain to make it work reasonably well in close to 20" cuts, you will still have only about 66% as many cutters in the wood when cutting lesser wood - and that will also slow down the cutting.

Avery said:
... I'd like to run a 20" because I already have a smaller saw (Jonsered 490 w/ 16" bar and as long as I'm considering buying a more powerful saw I'd like a longer bar for bigger jobs. ...
Imo 50cc (3 cube) saws are at their best with 15 or 16" bars, and you don't need two of them unless you are a Pro.
If you want to use a 20" for anything but an occational cut, get a bigger saw.:chainsaw:

Latest posts

Back