will the bottom of my pile rot?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cedarman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ive got roughly four cord of freshly split white oak piled high.

Ive got it sitting on the ground. I plan on using it for the 2011/12 winter.

Should I stack it off the ground on pallets??? do you think the bottom of the pile will rot by this winter ??? Or do you think I'll be okay.

I know the right thing to do is stack it off the ground, but im getting burnt out and lazy

thanks

ross

I think it would take longer than a year for it to rot, but at the very least the bottom will draw lots of moisture from the ground. Also, if you've got it off the ground with some gaps for air to rise through the pile it will all dry faster. Ditto the earlier comment about termites, too. Keep it off the ground for sure.

Get it off the ground.Especially if it`s a grassy area. Even seasoned wood will act like a sponge when it`s left at the bottom of a wood pile.Come November you`ll have a lot of wet wood.:msp_sad:

I've often heard people say there's no such thing as a stupid question----but you're getting awfully awfully close when asking if wood on the ground will rot.

I've often heard people say there's no such thing as a stupid question----but you're getting awfully awfully close when asking if wood on the ground will rot.

my question is will it rot within my given time frame????

thanks for your opinion

i got ahold of a lot of old roofing metal and i lay it on the ground in the wood shed and stack it on it,, it keeps it directly off the ground. and the metal cost me 0

thats what I figured and you guys are right. stacking off the ground it is then.:cry::cry:

You all ready new the answer to your ? before you posted, and I hear you on getting Burnt out and don't like restacking a pile. Just get out the pallets and restack, when you are done go have a beer for a job well done, it won't bother you so much .

Just my 2 cents worth.

Beefie

You all ready new the answer to your ? before you posted, and I hear you on getting Burnt out and don't like restacking a pile. Just get out the pallets and restack, when you are done go have a beer for a job well done, it won't bother you so much .

Just my 2 cents worth.

Beefie

Unfortunately, Beefie is right... Just re-stack it...:msp_mad: But I would say 4 cords is worth more than one beer... 3 at least...;)

my question is will it rot within my given time frame????

i think white oak is rot resistant.

I have 2" thick (called 8/4 here) that was put on a bridge in 1988. Some of the boards are getting questionable, but most are still solid. No treatment, paint, oil, sealer. It certainly helps that they each rest on three rails only, but most species would have rotted well away by now. White oak does possess good rot resistance.

I do agree on stacking it though. Sorry man - not what any of us wants to hear.....

Good luck,

Bill

I'm surprised no one mentioned it won't be dry enough to burn by next year if just cut and stacked. White Oak takes a long time to dry, 2 years at least I'd say.

Unfortunately, Beefie is right... Just re-stack it...:msp_mad: But I would say 4 cords is worth more than one beer... 3 at least...;)

+2

However, Hedgie acts in haste. It's gonna take three beers figuring out how many pallets and sourcing them.

At least another six pack to move a bunch of cut wood, cause its where his stacked pile is supposed to be.

There are many more beers to consume over stacking, cleaning, sawing,splitting, drinking, drinking, stacking, covering, cleaning, drinking, but I really only know one part well.

+2

However, Hedgie acts in haste. It's gonna take three beers figuring out how many pallets and sourcing them.

At least another six pack to move a bunch of cut wood, cause its where his stacked pile is supposed to be.

There are many more beers to consume over stacking, cleaning, sawing,splitting, drinking, drinking, stacking, covering, cleaning, drinking, but I really only know one part well.

I stand corrected! This might even call for Makers Mark! Big job...:dizzy:

SkyP is right. Forget about it rotting by this coming burning season. The stuff on the ground will be even more wet than the day you cut it. I understand the part about getting burnt out. The problem here is that you work just as hard for the wood on the bottom of the stack as you do the wood on the top.

Latest posts

Back