will the bottom of my pile rot?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The wood on the bottom will soak up water and will likley mold. It would take years to rot. Spend a few hours and stack it on pallets.

could use landscape timber to stack on... they are cheap and already eight foot long.:clap:

Let us no what you find out:cheers:

Beefie

Will do... Got some test elm on the trailer. Wanna guess what kind it is???:msp_biggrin:
attachment.php

Don't worry about it to restack it is a waste of time . If there is someway you can rot white oak that fast let me know . Will use the knowledge on the compost pile . I have firewood that been on the ground for years.

Don't worry about it to restack it is a waste of time . If there is someway you can rot white oak that fast let me know . Will use the knowledge on the compost pile . I have firewood that been on the ground for years.

tell us all,,,how the center of the stack will dry,,oh learned one.....and just exactly what percentage of that pile will be dry by fall...give us your great knowledge:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

it'll be ready by nov. yea 2012-2013 may be better, but itll burn fine none to less

if you cant find pallets,,or anything else to stack it on,,go to lowest,menards,home despot,,and get the thickest mill plastic you can get....double that up,,,and lay that on the ground...it will stop the bottom log from absorbing water off the ground,,tho water itself from rain will lay there for a bit...shouldnt bother....

tell us all,,,how the center of the stack will dry,,oh learned one.....and just exactly what percentage of that pile will be dry by fall...give us your great knowledge:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

Never had a problem with the center drying . Guess I'am not a very good stacker . Could never achieve that air tight seal on the outside of the stack . Never kept track of what percentage of the pile will be dry by fall .

if you cant find pallets,,or anything else to stack it on,,go to lowest,menards,home despot,,and get the thickest mill plastic you can get....double that up,,,and lay that on the ground...it will stop the bottom log from absorbing water off the ground,,tho water itself from rain will lay there for a bit...shouldnt bother....
If you need to put crazy eyes on something . Put it on this post . Now we got 2 differnt kinds of water ground water an rain water. Give us your great knowledge . Tell us all . Never insult my post again . When you write crap like this . I just gave cedarman advice . he can do what ever he whats with it . I have 30 years of making an storing firewood .Might have just a little advice An your insults show how little respect for other on here

And one more thing olyman . There will be no more red flags on my reputaion . Just because you don't agree with me .If I got it coming that fine. This will be handle with what ever it takes . You need to grow up . An be a intelligent person you are capable of. The red flags end .

Gravel Layer

Another option to pallets is a layer of gravel or river rock. That helps keep the bottom logs from freezing to the ground and gives you more drainage underneath the stack.

Around here, any firewood stacked on the ground will yield the bottom one or two layers frozen solid and you will not be able to break them loose until mid-March. Rot isn't near the problem that frozen logs are. I've even watched logs freeze up on a concrete a slab, stuck tight as a drum.

Last edited:
one year probably not going to rot but definately have alot of moisture unless air can get to it cause i have a big pile prob 20 cord and just now hauling from that big pile to my leantoo where i let it sit all summer to burn in my outdoor furnace and alot of it just had a little dirt on it from being smashed down in from all the weight above it!!! but still looks good

well i dont need to split like alot of others and split wood burns quicker than the rounds i put in my OWB so i have a big pile and been circulatating it for yrs and never had a problem but i still haul it over to my leantoo and it sits there for 8 mths before i burn it and has plenty of time to be seasoned and dry out on the concrete before i burn it!!!

Your wood won`t rot by next year.If your wood is in a low grassy area, the whole bottom layer of wood will be useless for burning.Grass, bugs, worms and dirt will find its way up and around the bottom layer of wood.Everything on top of the bottom layer should be fine.As long as it isn`t in the shade.If your pile is on the blacktop of concrete, it should be fine, as long as it`s in the sun.Here is the Notheast, a pile of wood will dry out in a year if it is in the sun.Stacked or not.

Back