will the bottom of my pile rot?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think all Oak is either white or red

Ive got roughly four cord of freshly split white oak piled high.

Ive got it sitting on the ground. I plan on using it for the 2011/12 winter.

Should I stack it off the ground on pallets??? do you think the bottom of the pile will rot by this winter ??? Or do you think I'll be okay.

I know the right thing to do is stack it off the ground, but im getting burnt out and lazy

thanks

ross
About all the WHITE i have here on the property is either white oak or post oak.The thing is, even tho this wood is slow to rot its also slow to season and you loose a lot of potenial heat when you burn it early,even tho i have and do.
Properly seasoned white oak is right up there with shagbark hickory but takes longer to season.Use your own judgement if its worth the effort to stack.

Rest assured the bottom of the pile will not rot out.Not nearly as fast as most would think . stack right on the ground . The very bottem were the wood is in contact with the ground will freeze in .I was getting worried about a pile . That set uncovered for 4 or 5 years . The bottom was in very good shape .From what I have read here .They are lot more concerned about the bottom than the top . You can take the advice of anyone on here .An that is ok . I,am .like to cover the top person. An not the bottom.

I picked up a couple of those used Airport baggage carts at an auction. Each holds about 1&1/2 cords each,that gives me 3 cords in the carts.I have one of those carts like lumber yards use with ends on about 5 foot tall and 6 long and 18 inches wide. This holds almost 1 rack. I bring one of the baggage carts up by the back porch and fill the lumber cart,and push it near the door. When the baggage cart is MT I bring the other one up. I then go to my wood pile. Several years ago I bought a nice stack of concrete decking metal. That is used to expand from I beam to I beam under a porch or concrete roof. These are 12 feet long,I lay them on the ground and stack my wood on them. The wood is covered and never gets wet or gets on the ground,I simply ad the metal as my stack grows.
When one of the baggage carts are MT I go to the pile and fill it up. The cart is then ready when I, MT the other one.

How about live oak on the ground?I have a 36-40 inch tree that has been lying on the wet florida ground for years.The stuff just seems to get harder and no termites will touch it.

Live oak is great stuff, very slow to rot, But It's probably wetter than heck right now.:hmm3grin2orange:

Back