Will the non adj. oiler be clutch driven on all current manufacture 260's?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlh26oo

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Is it just the PRO's adjustable oiler that oils ONLY when the chain runs? There was some confusion in this thread, as at that time some of your guys' standard oilers WERE driven by the clutch drum like the PRO's adjustable oiler is, but some were not (I.E. some of your standard 260's oiled constantly).

Any update on this matter? That one ended in a motion to "agree to disagree" L.O.L. and I'm just hoping there is a more definitive answer on current manufacture two years later. I'm afraid the dealer will just tell me what he thinks I want to hear, if he doesn't know.

Any input appreciated.

Last edited:
You'd have to ask Stihl that...

The 260 will likley be phased out next year so who knows what they are doing with the last few production runs.

So many, discontinued?

Anyways, O.K. I'll just ask the dealer. What about the M.S. 361- I see it does not come with the adjustable oiler, but anyone know if it also oils while idling, or only when the chain moves?

I like that it is only 16% heavier, yet is 38% more powerful. HOw is the anti-vibe system? Does it actually work pretty well, compared to similarly sized stihls without this feature?

361: It only oils when the clutch drum spins... and it has an adjustable oiler... All Stihl's have Anti-vibe. Some better then others - the 361 is very good.

Last edited:
O.K. thanks L.S. I think the M.S. 361 is the way to go after looking at both models today, since it has all the features of the 260 PRO yet with more power. And not too much heavier, but I.D.K. it was hard to tell with such a longer bar. The 361 was way nose-heavy.

Thanks all.

balance? Well..... they are supposed to be nose heavy... Try a 32 inch bar on a 440, or a 28 on a 361... or a 41 on an 088 - all very nose heavy. A 20 inch bar on 660 - well...

I can't imagine 41". This was a 25" on the 361, and a 18" on the 260 PRO. I was thinking about just carrying it around even, I'd rather it stay level naturally. But think I've decided on an 18" bar anyways for my purposes.

S.T.- what does "P.N.W." stand for B.T.W. (inside joke)?

That is what you PNW guys keep telling yourself - balanced usually is better, if the situation allows for it.........:greenchainsaw:

:cheers:

lolol

A real saw will only "balance" if it has a stubby bar. I've said this before, but time to say it again...

"Norway - land of men with short bars":greenchainsaw:

Latest posts

Back