Will the REAL timeberbear please stand up?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timberbearrules

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Will the REAL timeberbear please stand up? PICTURES JUST ADDED

Hi everyone!
Well I'm a bit consfused. How many dang saws did MAC make called a Timerbear?
I bought a brand new timberbear(that I am currently trying to fix) from home depot 10 years ago.
I've been looking for info on them and it seems that some of them are listed everywhere from in the high 30CC range all up into the 70 CC range?
I was looking at starter assemblies and Ebay sellers say they are all 600 series saws are the same.....and lists a timberbear.
But I found a timebear manual online and it is referring to the timberbear as a TM502 which would be a 500 series saw IMO.

How am I supposed to ID my saw...how many CC"s the thing actually has.....and figure out which pull starter works?

I'm most interested in knowing how many CC's the saw actuallly is.

Last edited:
The only Timberbear model made under the "old" McCulloch name I am familiar with is the 3.7 cubic inch engine, like the PM610. By the phrase "old McCulloch name", I am referring to the company that existed before bankruptcy in the late 1990's and the subsequent purchase of the McCulloch name use in North America by a Chinese firm. The China company may be offering something under the Timberbear name for all I know, but I would advise staying away from any saw they now build. They simply aren't building anything like the previous saws which wore the McCulloch name.

If the real timberbear stood up it would be a 605/610 series Mc. 58 or 60 cc's and a great little saw. I am not sure if their was a later timberbear model, I thought they were all eagar beavers or 32XX saws after they went chineese.

A pic is worth a thousand words.

I goggled mcculloch timberbear under images and Garys avatar came up, must mean he knows.:greenchainsaw:

Well I bought at least 10 years ago.....it's hard for me to rememember. It doesn't have a half dozen tanks of gas ran through it.....then the pull rope broke. I buddy of mine "tried" to fix it and wound up breaking the pulley when the spring when BOING and then we never could find parts...our local saw shop sells stihls and snubbed us off......"we can't get parts for those".
Well now in the year 2008 I've found some pull rope assemblies on the bay and the actual pulley. I think I may go with the whole assembly just cause it's easier.

Here are some pics of the saw.....if anyone knows how many CC's this thing is or anything about it I would LOVE to hear about it.

It has reminants of an oil soaked tag that I can see USA on.

Most of the pulley assemblies I see are for "600" series.....and I think this one is actually a "500" series?

Your saw is just as I thought it to be, based on the PM610, which is 3.7 cubic inch displacement. That is the only saw which I have ever seen the Timberbear name attached to. The "Eager Beaver" name that Austin1 mentioned was used on all different saws. They were designated as Eager Beaver 2.0, E.B. 3.4, E.B. 3.7, and so forth. I've got an Eager Beaver 3.7, essentially the exact saw you have with a different name.

Last edited:
Your saw is just as I thought it to be, based on the PM610, which is 3.7 cubic inch displacement. That is the only saw which I have ever seen the Timberbear name attached to. The "Eager Beaver" name that Austin1 mentioned was used on all different saws. They were designated as Eager Beaver 2.0, E.B. 3.4, E.B. 3.7, and so forth. I've got an Eager Beaver 3.7, essentially the exact saw you have with a different name.
Correct. I will post a couple of Pics of my 1977-78 Timberbear tomorrow--I Promise! It runs today. I only bought the 605 at at a garage sale for parts to support the 610. :chainsaw:

I thought the Timberbears were the last of the PM 605/610 series from the mid to late 90s. My PM610 was purchased in '88 or '89 and looks much like this saw(mine is WAY cleaner) with the exception of the graphics. Parts are still available, but only where you find them. As far as I know they're 57-60cc.

I thought the Timberbears were the last of the PM 605/610 series from the mid to late 90s. My PM610 was purchased in '88 or '89 and looks much like this saw(mine is WAY cleaner) with the exception of the graphics. Parts are still available, but only where you find them. As far as I know they're 57-60cc.
Mine is an early Timberbear. Every cub deserves a papa bear to teach it good manners and provide a heritage. :greenchainsaw:

OK now hang on a sec
I'm not trying to be a bonehead here BUT
If you look at this online manual I found it clearly labels the timberbear as a 500 series:
http://ipl.ordertree.com/ipl/327/9096-31c206_McCulloch_TM502_Timberbear.pdf

AND

I looked up the info on the collecters board that Mulley J linked up here earlier..... and it is a 3.4 CI 55 CC
http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...1918b2fc251a6ffb88256c3b004fe4ad?OpenDocument

I think I have my orginal manual and receipt BURIED somewhere.....

OK now hang on a sec
I'm not trying to be a bonehead here BUT
If you look at this online manual I found it clearly labels the timberbear as a 500 series:
http://ipl.ordertree.com/ipl/327/9096-31c206_McCulloch_TM502_Timberbear.pdf

AND

I looked up the info on the collecters board that Mulley J linked up here earlier..... and it is a 3.4 CI 55 CC
http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...1918b2fc251a6ffb88256c3b004fe4ad?OpenDocument

I think I have my orginal manual and receipt BURIED somewhere.....
It won't matter what series, I did find some new model "timberbears" online that are nothing like the real ones, but you have the real one. Timberbear, 605, 655, later 650 and 610 parts (probably even a few more models) will all fit, there are also a few other models. Sort of like a chevy small block, there are a bunch of them but most parts will fit them all. The saw you have was the last McCulloch they ever built IMO and its worthy of keeping together.

My 1978 Timberbear

Mac610-1.jpg

Mac610-2.jpg

Features and Specs:
Displacement = 60 cc, 3.7 cu. in.
Fuel Tank: 510 cc, 17.3 oz.
Oill Tank: 430 cc, 14.6 oz.
Intake System: 3rd port, piston timed
Clutch engagment: 2,800 to 3,000 RPM
Main bearings: needle and ball
Sprocket: Floating rim, 7 tooth, .375 pitch
Dry Weight: 6.65 kg, 14.7 lb