Will this ash be ready?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoosier daddy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I had the good fortune to receive 5 semi loads of ash from a contractor that was clearing them along the highway. We are going to cut, split and stack this weekend...(Dad, Bro-inlaw, friend and our sons) so we should have enough help but I was wondering if this will be ready for the stove by December? I was planning on keeping it out until end of September when it gets wet and then put in the pole barn. Thanks in advance for the thoughts.

Just from the knowledge I've garnered on this here website I'd have to say it should be good to go come December. Apparently ash is one of the faster drying woods known. Sounds like you made a heck of a good score!:clap::clap:

cheers:cheers:

By the way, welcome to the ArboristSite!!

Ash, cut today burn tonight wood.
Do your self a favore and split it into smaller pieces.

If.....Can wait it will make great wood next year....But that wasn't the question.

Good Score.

Don't go by what people say.....they can say whatever they like...buy a cheap moisture meter. If it's down to 20% burn it. If it's not then your only robbing yourself of BTU's and causing more work to burn too wet.

Nice score though.....

gotta see pics of 5 semi loads of wood that's ALOT of buck'n and splitt'n. I second what Keith said. Stack it in single rows spaced apart for good air flow.

Ash is the "Firewood of Kings." I love everything about it.

My most memorable time splitting wood was with ash. I love the way it splits with a maul. I love the sound it makes when it splits. I love the feel of it when I stack it. I love the way it burns. We all need to go out and get ourselves some ash.

Last edited:
If your burning it in a EPA unit then it won't be ready. Will it burn yes, but you will burn more of it. To assist it, split small and stack loosely to allow for maximum air flow. I've cut ash that was bone dry, and cut ash that had alot of moisture in it. All in all, its great wood.

If your burning it in a EPA unit then it won't be ready. Will it burn yes, but you will burn more of it. To assist it, split small and stack loosely to allow for maximum air flow. I've cut ash that was bone dry, and cut ash that had alot of moisture in it. All in all, its great wood.

:agree2:Everbody likes a good split of ASH the more ASH the better I always say.

Beefie

Don't go by what people say.....they can say whatever they like...buy a cheap moisture meter. If it's down to 20% burn it. If it's not then your only robbing yourself of BTU's and causing more work to burn too wet.

Nice score though.....

gotta see pics of 5 semi loads of wood that's ALOT of buck'n and splitt'n. I second what Keith said. Stack it in single rows spaced apart for good air flow.

:agree2:

From experience, it's true what they say about being able to burn green (recently living) ash, but I don't do it. I've experimented with burning white ash, and it will burn green, but you can hear the BTU's hissing away. Around here, you can split and stack white ash now and it will burn nicely in 6 months. I give it a full year to make it perfect.

Last edited:
I like my ASH, white!! Just enough moisture to keep the pipe wet.:cheers:

Back