Will this happen to STIHL????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChainsawmanXX

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Ok, Everyone knows that McCulloch, and Homelite were the kings and queens back in there day. But now they are the biggest hunks of junks on Gods Green earth!
Everyone ALSO knows that Stihl is the number one selling outdoors product in America, as well as the most reliable. Will Stihl Transform into the hunk of junks That Poulan now makes?

I wish Randy would come in here and put his .2
He might have thought that McCulloch never would have came to this?
Its just a thought fellas im not trying to rustle anyones feathers :)

I wish Randy would come in here and put his .2
He might have thought that McCulloch never would have came to this?
Its just a thought fellas im not trying to rustle anyones feathers :)

The old McCullochs went by way of the dinosaur because of their inventor Robert Paxton McCulloch. He was a weird cat that was very eccentric (he bought and moved the original London Bridge from London England to Lake Havasu brick by brick, in the 60's). That's why McCulloch had 148 different models of the same size in each size with only some interchangeable parts. Homelie had their place in th woods... but had a stronghold on the homeowner market as well, when the came out with the XL12.

Meh... the big old saws are missed by a lot of cats (me included) but there is no use for them anymore. Lightweight German and Swedish saws that have great power to weight ratios are gonna be here for a long long time.

Gary

The old McCullochs went by way of the dinosaur because of their inventor Robert Paxton McCulloch. He was a weird cat that was very eccentric (he bought and moved the original London Bridge from London England to Lake Havasu brick by brick, in the 60's). That's why McCulloch had 148 different models of the same size in each size with only some interchangeable parts. Homelie had their place in th woods... but had a stronghold on the homeowner market as well, when the came out with the XL12.

Meh... the big old saws are missed by a lot of cats (me included) but there is no use for them anymore. Lightweight German and Swedish saws that have great power to weight ratios are gonna be here for a long long time.

Gary

Good debate Gary!
(I always wondered where Aaron -Eccentric- got his name) :laugh:

He sure was a weird one though! Especially with the 1-43 and the 250 McCulloch pretty much the same saw. :dizzy:
Sure hope Stihl's not going anywhere :)

Stihl has proven itself by surviving the economic ups and downs in the past 80 years or so... and the business decisions they have made in the current economic climate I think shows that they will be around for a long time yet.

The main difference is Stihl is privately owned and controlled by the Stihl family. Unless a future generation gets tired of piling money up in vaults it will be around for your lifetime and prolly your grandkids lifetime. Imho Stihl is one of the best managed companies in the world, marketing and dealer support is world class as is there mfg facilities. They spend the money needed for engineering and product development.
As long as they stay away from big box stores/chain retail they can control their margins with precision and keep the quality standard where they want to.

There is a huge difference between a public company with margin pressure. I predict (get the noose out) that Husky will have the toughest time surviving. As several AS member's have reported either shop's carrying their product are closing up or diminishing. I think they will survive, but will under go major shifts in distrobution, they'll have to really narrow the product selection at big boxes or spin it off in a different division as it will put huge pressure on margins, which will in the long term effect quality and product development. It doesn't happen overnight, it takes a while for big boxes to bleed you to death. Buyer's from Wal-Mart and Lowes will put extreme pressure on them to hit lower and lower price points, they don't care about quality or returns, returns just get charged back to Husky. When a WM buyer offers to buy a 400k units of a chainsaw, or 200k push lawn mowers or 450-500k units of weed eaters, they get blinded by the number, a public company today has to maintain at least a 35-40% gross margin to cover all the cost on the profit and loss statement. A typical WM store today only will net 5-8% pre-tax profit, I know, I've run one. With the thin margins of today, Husky can't afford to stub their toe in any way.

It's a tough for any business to survive in todays economy. Both companies will be looking to dominate the emerging Chinese market. With their booming economy the average Chinaman will be throwing down the misery whip and axe's and will be buying power equipment for the first time. I'm not kidding, on my first trips to China you would see them haul twenty guys out in a dump truck with shovels to fill it, very cost efficient. Today they are using CAT loaders. Whoever wins that market will be dominate world wide. I'll bet on the germans to win the battle.

The point about Stihl being a family company is very important and as Indiansprings in another thread some time ago, they don't have a bunch of shareholders to please.
When Hans Peter Stihl visited Mr Paxton he was more than impressed by the methods used in their casting process so went back and refined the process and Stihl became so good at casting they until a couple of years ago were suppling Merc and VW. The family at the guidence of Andreas made adjustments to the business as changes in the world happened instead of just thinking the customer, us, would just take what they were given.
The only thing that nearly put Stihl under was the tractor business, due to faulty oil pumps it very nearly went to the wall a few years after the war. Due to it being a private company it made changes and pulled through by consulting with the work force and it was one of the few times that yearly performence pay was not paid.

Ok, Everyone knows that McCulloch, and Homelite were the kings and queens back in there day. But now they are the biggest hunks of junks on Gods Green earth!
Everyone ALSO knows that Stihl is the number one selling outdoors product in America, as well as the most reliable. Will Stihl Transform into the hunk of junks That Poulan now makes?

Not if you, me, and all the others that have made them number 1 keep buying them.

Uh... no.

Niether will Husqvarna...

Gary

cause they already own the said brands that are now CRAP, guess they do that so that they can convince the unknowing that the orange huskys are better than the opposition, even though they are the opposition!

Saw company

Well Stihl should be around for along time. Husqvarna is starting to get into the gray area in between survival and reorganization. Husky went from dealer only sale to online and box store sales which ruins the available repair and after sale customer support. Husky needs to go back to strong local dealers and cut the number of models and certain types of of power equipment they carry.

the only stupid thing that Stihl has recently done is flippy caps.
a solution for a non-existent problem.

what's worry some is management at Stihl not listening to complaints.
folks have been complaining about flippy caps for years now. yet management refuses to acknowledge problems with flippy caps and keeps on putting em on new models.

finally Stihl issues a recall on flippy caps for certain models. which includes no chainsaws???
you cannot tell me Stihl management is not aware of the flippy cap problems....

the only stupid thing that Stihl has recently done is flippy caps.
a solution for a non-existent problem.

what's worry some is management at Stihl not listening to complaints.
folks have been complaining about flippy caps for years now. yet management refuses to acknowledge problems with flippy caps and keeps on putting em on new models.

finally Stihl issues a recall on flippy caps for certain models. which includes no chainsaws???
you cannot tell me Stihl management is not aware of the flippy cap problems....

So whats the big deal, flippy or not, I don't care either way. And honestly I thnk they listen as well as any big company does, most of the big companies don't listen to anyones opinion unless it comes to a law suit.

the big deal is the flippy cap is the only weak point in an otherwise excellent pro saw.
wouldn't care either way too, if the flippy cap worked like it should without constant failures.

companies that don't listen to their loyal customers end up losing them.

So whats the big deal, flippy or not, I don't care either way. And honestly I thnk they listen as well as any big company does, most of the big companies don't listen to anyones opinion unless it comes to a law suit.

wow...
I really hope this does happen. Imagine a company that is to stihl, as stihl is to Mcculogh et al. I'm almost wetting my pants thinking about it!

Re the husky comments, that has the ring of truth about it. Husky seems to be moving more and more into the homeowner saw market. They've got some fine saws to be sure, but I don't know where they're positioned in the market. It's hard to say who's doing better in terms of stihl/husky, but from what I've seen of tree work and forestry in aus and NZ, stihl has that market pretty well tied up. That whole market probably isn't that big in truth, so I guess it comes down to realities of how much each company has to turn over to keep going. I'm guessing stihl is selling more and could afford to sell less, while it's the other way round for husky.

Shaun

At first I was exactly like 046 on the flippy cap issue, I wore a couple tanks of fuel down the pants leg. But we've all got used to it. Even with hired help in the last five years we've only broke one flippy cap and it was my fault for getting out the pliers. I've had guys over tighten the regular old caps to the point where they were all most impossible to remove. I had one clown last year tighten the 660 fuel cap to the point of cracking it to the point it leaked fuel. I can see how people either love them or hate them. I'd venture for every hater in their focus group their is 8 or 10 lovers, because they haven't used the old style caps for 30 years. I think they are here to stay and they really don't have a measurable impact of sales one way or the other.

Back