Wilton 8# Maul 50836 with Unbreakable Handle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maul ratt

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I did a video review of the Wilton 8lb Maul with a 36" unbreakable handle that comes with a $1,000 guarantee. Please share your thoughts...

My thoughts are...gonna be some bodacious swingin' goin' on to try and claim that prize..HAHAHAHAHA!

Looks to be a decent maul. Try it on some elm or sweetgum now. And how does the edge hold up after several cords? How was perceived shock with the handle compared to your other various splitting tools?

My thoughts are...gonna be some bodacious swingin' goin' on to try and claim that prize..HAHAHAHAHA!

Looks to be a decent maul. Try it on some elm or sweetgum now. And how does the edge hold up after several cords? How was perceived shock with the handle compared to your other various splitting tools?
I didn't notice any vibration in the handle, they advertise it having an anti-vibe neck design. Also, I have some elm to split soon. I'll follow up with some comments about the edge.

Looks good. That really seems to work well.

I have the 6lb version but it appears that the 8 pounder works a whole lot better.
I was thinking about getting the 6lb version, but ended up with the 8. Glad to hear your feedback.

As the owner of a few of their sledge hammers, I would highly recommend against any Wilton tool. The first issue we had with them was the overall weight. To make the handle "unbreakable" there is a lot of weight in that handle when compared to other tools of the same head weight. Second, the handles have not broken but, the grip has broken loose and twists as you swing and it makes it almost impossible to hit anything. Third, the cost, their tools are typically 2-3 times the cost and in my opinion the value is not there. I have contacted Wilton to discuss the handle issue we are having and they will not warranty them because technically they aren't broken even though we can not use them as they are.

I like the splitting stand with tire. How did you secure the tire?
I secured the tire with 4@ 4" TimberLOK Wood Screws. It was an easy attachment that only took a few minutes. They hold the tire in place very well.

Latest posts

Back