winch setup ideas

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen conflicting advise on the blanket / weight on the winch line.

Some say use one, others say that cables usually pull more straight back (likely to slip out from under a weight) and even if they went sideways the power is far more then a weight a person can carry easily would make a difference.

At best I'd file it under, "Well it can't hurt."

But I don't recall ever seeing folks who do it for a living using such things, including heavy wreckers that are pulling weights much heavier then single logs us firewooders with pickups will be dealing with. (And when I hear those cables singing I don't care if you use a firetruck for the weight in the middle...I don't want to be anywhere in the area!)

I've watched a couple pro wrecker drivers rigging overturned semi-tractors and they seemed smart enough to stay out of the danger zone they had to create. A few years ago a Jeeper here in Michigan was killed when a winch cable broke and caught him in the head. Ever since, I use an old wheel/tire off a hi-low and feed the cable thru it. Those things are fairly small but heavy, enough to absorb a lot of the tension. A coat or blanket won't do squat, IMHO.

well in my 99 i have/took out now, I had a rail/thick plate mounted on the front of the box just under the window reinforced with rails mounted on the side , then had a cheap 4000lb mounted on to that. worked for 1200lb moose

what? hbrn is banned? how can this be. He was such a usefull contributing member of this site, he was like that cream that holds an oreo together. I can guarantee with him gone people are going to have less reasons to come on here and it will drop members on the site. I wanted to be just like hbrn with his jobless redneck ocupation, redneck things interests and bad grammar. Can all of his content and picture and videos that he posted stay on here. They are the only proof of his great acomplishments besides his alimghty words. I better save that picture of him falling that 100'dba sitka spruce and that video of that leaf licker in that tree while he falled it. Today is such a sad day. Its as sad as oprah retiring and just as sad as rossie back on tv. I need a beer, not to celebrate, but to drown my sorrows, I hope the majority on here will be able to share a beer with me in sorrow for the loss of hbrn. I dont know if me or anthony va or hank will be able to drink enough beer to drown our sorrows.

OH WHAT SHALL WE DO NOW?

well in my 99 i have/took out now, I had a rail/thick plate mounted on the front of the box just under the window reinforced with rails mounted on the side , then had a cheap 4000lb mounted on to that. worked for 1200lb moose

can you post a pic or 2 of the set up (moose too if you got 'em)?

snatch block and a few choker chains sure come in handy. FYI - if you can find someone who deals in old military trucks, they've prolly got a HUGE snatch block off a military truck. Wife got me one one year for my b-day....20 ton rating I think?? I love that thing. food for thought.

Back