Winter 2011/2012

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I don’t know how many of you pay attention to long range weather forecasts, but I do… sort’a. Really it’s a very unexacting science that changes week-to-week; but watching and comparing all the different “expert” predictions over time will produce a pattern, per se. It’s looking more and more like most of us living north of the Mason-Dixon are in for another long, cold, snowy winter… especially the Pacific Northwest, Mid-West, and New England regions. Certainly hope y’all are laying in plenty of good seasoned firewood and emergency provisions… I am.

Kind’a reminds me of the story about the Indian Chief. His people came to him in the autumn and asked if the winter would be harsh or mild… Well, being a modern-day Indian, he wasn’t sure; at the same time he didn’t want let his people know that. He looked around, picked up some earth and smelled it, tossed it in the air and watched fall. And, just to be on the safe side, he told his people it would be a cold winter and they needed to gather more firewood and provisions.

A few days later he hiked on down to the phone booth and called NOAA, asked them about the winter. He was told it was shaping up to be a cold winter. He ran back to his people and told them to gather even more. Now, he didn’t want to end up with egg on his face, so a couple weeks later he called NOAA again… this time receiving news that the winter was looking even worse than previously thought. So again, he told his people to gather more…

So this goes on, every week or two he hikes to the phone and calls NOAA… each time being told that the winter is looking to be worse than previously thought… and each time he tells his people to gather even more firewood and provisions…

Finally he asks the guy at NOAA how he could be so sure that winter was going to be so harsh… The guy at NOAA answers back, “Well, we’ve been keeping a close eye on the Indians, and they been gathering…….”

Last "winter" in the PNW ended in August. The high lakes have not melted out. The skiing was good. The driving not so good. We had a flood, but it wasn't too bad. We had a bit of wind, but the same.

My woodshed is full. I had a couple of little fires to heat the house over the weekend. I don't have to drive to work this winter. I do need to drive to skiing. I'm not too worried.

It is supposed to be a slightly weaker La Nina.

I don’t know how many of you pay attention to long range weather forecasts, but I do… sort’a. Really it’s a very unexacting science that changes week-to-week; but watching and comparing all the different “expert” predictions over time will produce a pattern, per se. It’s looking more and more like most of us living north of the Mason-Dixon are in for another long, cold, snowy winter… especially the Pacific Northwest, Mid-West, and New England regions. Certainly hope y’all are laying in plenty of good seasoned firewood and emergency provisions… I am.

Kind’a reminds me of the story about the Indian Chief. His people came to him in the autumn and asked if the winter would be harsh or mild… Well, being a modern-day Indian, he wasn’t sure; at the same time he didn’t want let his people know that. He looked around, picked up some earth and smelled it, tossed it in the air and watched fall. And, just to be on the safe side, he told his people it would be a cold winter and they needed to gather more firewood and provisions.

A few days later he hiked on down to the phone booth and called NOAA, asked them about the winter. He was told it was shaping up to be a cold winter. He ran back to his people and told them to gather even more. Now, he didn’t want to end up with egg on his face, so a couple weeks later he called NOAA again… this time receiving news that the winter was looking even worse than previously thought. So again, he told his people to gather more…

So this goes on, every week or two he hikes to the phone and calls NOAA… each time being told that the winter is looking to be worse than previously thought… and each time he tells his people to gather even more firewood and provisions…

Finally he asks the guy at NOAA how he could be so sure that winter was going to be so harsh… The guy at NOAA answers back, “Well, we’ve been keeping a close eye on the Indians, and they been gathering…….”

LOL, that's a good'n. Reminds me of a similar story that ends up with the Indian admitting they make their predictions based upon the size of 'the white man's woodpile'.

A early long cold snowy winter is really just a good old fashioned normal winter when I grew up.

Phffft!

I predict plenty of cold, but little snow for my area. Got a new-to-me snowmobile coming in a couple weeks, should keep the snow away here. It's worked well in the past anyhow. And if not, more winter fun for me!

I do, however predict hordes of blue haired ladies driving 17 mph clogging my roads over the next couple of weeks looking at the pretty tree colors. Quite possibly the most aggravating part of fall. Drive faster and you can see MORE of the pretty colors!

As it stands, I'm good through 2014. Come November I'll start on 2015-16. It's like money in the bank.:msp_biggrin:

As it stands, I'm good through 2014. Come November I'll start on 2015-16. It's like money in the bank.:msp_biggrin:

You boy are full of hubris. :taped:
Most of us lesser mortals go year by year. Your giving us the bird is %$@*&. :biggrin:

P.S. Money in the band is money. Money.

And, predicting long term weather is like knowing how your evening or morning sex will be. Like the Old Farmer's Almanac here in New England, it is plain old B.S. Quite interesting however.

Last edited:
yeah...the squirrels have the thickest glossiest little red coats this year, and those little vermin have been rapidly stashing stuff away since July...other animals just behaving funny...leaves on my hackberries and maples are already 20% down...prairies are already red.

all that, plus reading between the lines in the OFAlmanac, and it looks like a long heating season ahead. Just keep cuttin' and stockin' up...if you have extra in the Spring, have a party.

speaking of weather, anyone hear of Earth's magnetic field reversing polarity in the next few years, and wrecking all sorts of weatherish havoc?

I'm hoping for plenty of white and fluffy this year! Then again, I ALWAYS hope for lots of snow :D Seriously though, bring it ON!!

Heck, don't mind the snow, or the cold... but when that NW wind comes across the prairie, offsetting any amount of solar heat, blowing the snow and using it like a sandblaster, packing into concrete-like drifts......... I'm not gonna' think about that right now... I'm not gonna' think about that right now... I'm not gonna' think about that right now... I'm not gonna' think about that right now... I'm not gonna' think about that right now... I'm not gonna' think about that right now...

it could snow tomorrow for all I care. I'm ready for whatever she wants to throw at me. 200 gallons of gas for the generator, enough wood to last until 14 or 15. A side of beef to be picked up, ordered last week just havent made it there yet. Enough dry goods/ dry food to last until june or so of next year.... just need to get the plow truck ready

Jeff

Latest posts

Back