Wish to woods port 2100cd

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guys taught me bunches, but mostly just great encouragement, I can't wait to get it into wood, this snow is really hampering things right now. I had a friend who had a timber sale coming up, but the snow slowed that, looks like I'm gonna catch a Rig before he can get in cutting too bad I was really looking forward to putting this old saw to work.
That's cool though I might have another project lined up I got a Stihl 034, that has been a great little saw. I am thinking about putting a 036 cylinder and piston on it and doing a little porting to it. I hear these little saws are real screamers, when ported. Here's a question 036 cylinder @ 48mm or will a 0361 @49mm bolt up?

I think either should work, but either way it isn't exactly a straight swap if I'm remembering correctly. I think there are a few other minor changes that need to be made, the muffler being one, and especially if it's an older 034. This is addressed in other threads here though that you might want to do some digging for. I lack the first-hand knowledge since I've never tried it; I'm just repeating what I remember reading a while back.

I talked with one of the techs at baileys he suggested just going with a 034 Av Super jug and piston, said it was a 48mm pretty much a 036 but it was more closely designed towards the 034. Just to avoid hassle I think this is the way to go.

Yeah I can't argue with that. If you're going aftermarket, you might do well to use the OEM piston pin, and circlips providing they're the same wire diameter. They have been failure-prone in the aftermarket kits in the past, though it's possible they've improved them now.

361 P&C won't work- but 034, 034super, 036 and ms360 will all work. The nice thing about the 034 super jug is that there's no decomp valve. If you put an 036 pro you'll either have to plug the hole, drill a hole for the decomp or get another top cover with the hole. Any of them will work- especially if you're going to be porting it!

Nice job with the 2100- my buddy just dropped his 2100 off at my place the other day to get some repairs-- replace some rubber and give it a good carb cleaning..... and maybe a woods port? I'm trying to talk him into it. I may try to trade/buy it off him though- then I can have my own beastly saw!

Bmorgan I read a thread you did on a similar swap, I learned alot, and thank you for the advice I been told to watch out for aftermarket stuff, I been checking out ebay alot hoping to find something there. At the moment though I am unemployed until the middle of February and funds are tight, but maybe I can work a trade or something, whatever I'll work it out this is definantly gonna happen, that little saw seems to have alot of potential it is one of my favorites, you gotta love a saw you can ALWAYS depend on to fire up when nothing else will.

361 P&C won't work- but 034, 034super, 036 and ms360 will all work. The nice thing about the 034 super jug is that there's no decomp valve. If you put an 036 pro you'll either have to plug the hole, drill a hole for the decomp or get another top cover with the hole. Any of them will work- especially if you're going to be porting it!

Nice job with the 2100- my buddy just dropped his 2100 off at my place the other day to get some repairs-- replace some rubber and give it a good carb cleaning..... and maybe a woods port? I'm trying to talk him into it. I may try to trade/buy it off him though- then I can have my own beastly saw!

After this experience I would really try hard to talk him into the woods port it is really worth the effort. The weather here has kept me from burying that 28" bar of mine, but the chain is sharp, and it's chomping at the bit to get out of it's chainsaw stall.
I got a decent case,cylinder,piston(thick ring), and some odds and ends if you decide to put you a 2100 together let me know I will do what I can to help you out!

Bmorgan I read a thread you did on a similar swap, I learned alot, and thank you for the advice I been told to watch out for aftermarket stuff, I been checking out ebay alot hoping to find something there. At the moment though I am unemployed until the middle of February and funds are tight, but maybe I can work a trade or something, whatever I'll work it out this is definantly gonna happen, that little saw seems to have alot of potential it is one of my favorites, you gotta love a saw you can ALWAYS depend on to fire up when nothing else will.

Ya on that one I managed to clean up the cylinder enough to re-use it; it really wasn't all THAT bad considering how knackered the piston was. So I can give some pointers on working on them in general I guess, but as far as any conversions or parts swaps I can only relate what I found/read while looking for 034 info in general here.

I've never run an 034 Super / 036 to be able to make a comparison, but I was quite pleased with that 034's performance (since I needed to break in the new piston and rings anyway, I borrowed it to cut a couple loads of firewood:monkey:).

Last edited:
After this experience I would really try hard to talk him into the woods port it is really worth the effort. The weather here has kept me from burying that 28" bar of mine, but the chain is sharp, and it's chomping at the bit to get out of it's chainsaw stall.
I got a decent case,cylinder,piston(thick ring), and some odds and ends if you decide to put you a 2100 together let me know I will do what I can to help you out!

What would you be wanting to get for that basket of 2100 parts??

thats if firebenrt has taken it off your hands already. Looks like it was offered to him first.

We might need to talk!!:greenchainsaw:

Heh - you offering a case or want my parts? :cheers: I'd love to have a running 2100 to add to my ever-growing Husky collection, but have really no money to invest in a project like that ATM. Even if I got just a case for now though, I have this rather ugly 285 topend I could use for the time being to get it going.

I got a couple other PM responses to that post too over the last couple days, so I have to figure out what to do about it. I'm hesitant to get rid of the parts right away, since I got that busted 285 for next to nothing and am unlikely to have another find like that anytime soon. But at the same time it doesn't make sense to keep them in a box on the shelf if I could trade them for something else decent (or a decent amount of cash) that I could make use of now rather than later. Ugh, decisions, decisions...

Heh - you offering a case or want my parts? :cheers: I'd love to have a running 2100 to add to my ever-growing Husky collection, but have really no money to invest in a project like that ATM. Even if I got just a case for now though, I have this rather ugly 285 topend I could use for the time being to get it going.

I got a couple other PM responses to that post too over the last couple days, so I have to figure out what to do about it. I'm hesitant to get rid of the parts right away, since I got that busted 285 for next to nothing and am unlikely to have another find like that anytime soon. But at the same time it doesn't make sense to keep them in a box on the shelf if I could trade them for something else decent (or a decent amount of cash) that I could make use of now rather than later. Ugh, decisions, decisions...

I was wondering if you would part with some parts. I have a bit of money into the 2100, so I either have to cash out of it, or find the parts to make mine a nice saw. I've got an 1100 too, but it's really rough too.

If you're feeling flush one day, I might sell the 2100.........I still have this silly milling idea in my head too.....Ugh, I've got decisions to make too!!:dizzy:

Parts needed for new project

Still haven't got my pic's up hopefully later today. Anyway I got a new project today, and I am pretty excited about it. It is a 288 xp I managed to trade that old pain in my butt 051 stihl for it. However I am gonna need some parts:
Flywheel
front tank av mounts
new chainbreak, or side cover
bar nuts
and screws enough to bolt the recoil on
for trade:
all the 2100 parts I got
a 051 sthil engine with cylinder
misc, 051 parts
and last but not least one lowly Mac Pm 610 excellent shape just needs new recoil, the one it has works but has been through several Presidential Solutions.
I am gonna get all the stuff together today and get some pic's up today if it kills me, Hell Ideally I'd like to find another 288 with a trashed piston and cylinder, or missing odds and end parts.

I'll look through my parts and see what I can spare. I'm also putting together another 288 but I think I've still got a few parts left over from a parts saw I bought a while back. You'll love this saw... it's one of my favorite's. You made a good trade in my opinion.

Back