Without a doubt, the crappiest STIHL ever produced...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your ignorance is proven two fold. Just liking those brands dont make you an idiot. Its your stupid thread here that seals the deal.

What stupid thread? Dont tell me you think the MS-280 C is a great saw for the money, and is just as high a quality as the other models?

What stupid thread? Dont tell me you think the MS-280 C is a great saw for the money, and is just as high a quality as the other models?

Better than 3 POS pullons. Do the math. I personally think you just dont know how to work on a Stihl, you probably have a mental block about it. :dizzy:

Furthermore, I have wasted enough of my time arguing with you, Red. I will focus my time on better things.:spam:

My first new saw ever was a Husqvarna 36, which is a rebadged/repainted Poulan. I got it when I was 14. I was absolutely obsessive about the maintenance on that little saw (16" bar). That saw made me a lot of money and cut a lot of wood, easily over 150 cords worth. I had that little guy until I was 19 and did my first small contract logging job. What a great little saw that Poulan-Husky was.

The top 5 dealers in my zip code ( 45252 ), have it listed at $429.95. For the type of quality the midrange saws of either Husky, or Stihl, the price is what you are going to pay for the mostly( 99.9 %) trouble free, highly recommended saw. If I had a line on that saw with an 18 inch bar that was cheaper that $400.00, I would buy it right now and not think twice, or have any buyers remorse. If it had any problems, the dealer would fix it, or replace it for free. Huskys come with a 2 year warranty, I would assume that the Stihls have that too. I just have not bought one new yet so I do not know about any warranty , I just got them used, and still bucking.

Furthermore, I have wasted enough of my time arguing with you, Red. I will focus my time on better things.:spam:

I would not call it arguing, merely trying to open someones eyes to the bigger and better things. Every one of my kids have threw a fit about trying ice cream for the first time, but after the first cone, it was on. Maybe Red just has not has a full cone yet...
:cry:

Tommy whats the weather like down in Pensacola, FL ???

Lousy as all get out. Hot the other day, humid as the middle of summer. That night, severe T-storms, next morning, 36* and windy. This morning there was frost on the ground, by 10:00 I was in short sleeves, it was almosty 65.:dizzy:

Got to love that deep south weather.

I wish I lived In Michigan, I like it up there. I just never been up there any other time than Summer and Fall...I hear it's nasty in the Middle of Winter...:cheers:

Better than 3 POS pullons. Do the math. I personally think you just dont know how to work on a Stihl, you probably have a mental block about it. :dizzy:

I can work on Stihls. Not any different than working on other saws..not like a chainsaw is some mystery and they are all different.

I just dont like using them.

Im not saying all stihls are bad, IVe used a few, some I liked, some I was okay with, some Id never spend any money on.

Ive still got my MS-260 Im going to put a Baileys piston and cylinder on, pretty simply tear down. The throttle rod was a little tricky to get off the carb, but after a few moments I got it off.

Ever worked on a Tanaka ECS series saw? Many times more difficult than working on a Stihl.

Newsflash

The title said "Without a doubt, the crappiest STIHL ever produced...," and it was about one single saw.

Here I figured it was going to be about EVERY STIHL EVER MADE!!!

Didn't Jonsered just come out with their 4th saw in their line-up??? That means they've produced what, maybe 5 saws throughout their history? I foresee Jonsered being sold in Wal-fart and flowes in the next 5 yrs since your really just buying a red Husky anyways. I'd say if you buy another 50 or 60 saws they'll have hit 100 saws manufactured andddddddd if you become a dealer you'll make what, say #4 or 5??? I gotta say JR has got to be the only dealer network that sucks worse than Dolmar or Stihl. Honestly I don't think anybody running JR's should be saying anything about Stihls. My 044 walked all over about 1/2 dozen 2171's and I did it just to show'em they were junk and at their request for talking smack. As far as this whole Stihl bashing thing goes, I dare anyone to put their other saws through the conditions alot of my buddies do everyday. Many months of the year are wayyy below zero up here. They'll cut 5+ tandems everyday with 044's. This is one of the most tried/proven/ and hands down one of the best saws ever built by any company. In my neck of the woods they swear by them and it's been a sad day to see them go. Anyone that complains at how junky they are either hasn't run them or they are just trying to stir the pot because of a lack of knowledge. More 44's are used across the globe than ANY other single saw I'd say, it's not because they are junk. Maybe you should actually work with a bunch of guys that cut wood instead of probably a bunch of guys around your neighborhood drinking beer and bringing you their saws because they were drunk and forgot to mix the gas.... This thread is crap. And what's more, I still haven't seen a single post about what is actually wrong with the saw or what was found...

:notrolls2: :sucks: :givebeer:

I am simply amazed at this post.

Once again, an Echo saves the day....

Red, you have a line up of wal mart specials that you have drug out of the dumpster & trashed trade in saws that have been given to you.

From what it sounds like, not many of them run.

That being said, if you cant repair a POS saw, how the heck would you be able to repair a Stihl.

Do you know even know how to clean & rebuild a carb & then properly adjust it ??

How many hours do you have under your belt running a saw??

Im talking about actually cutting wood, not runing one in the garage, or will your Mom not allow you to actually cut wood with a saw because she is afraid you will hurt yourself.

Do you know how to sharpen a chain with a file ??

Do you know how to do basic troubleshooting without making it sound like you are doing brain surgery.

You speak of doing a pressure test. Do you even own the tools do do one ??

I have a suggestion for you Red: You need to shut your mouth & open your ears; Look, listen & learn

As has been suggested, why dont you quit bashing the saw (which is better than any POS that you own by the way)

Fix the saw & then come back & tell us what was wrong with it, how you found out what was wrong with it & how you fixed it.

Didn't Jonsered just come out with their 4th saw in their line-up??? That means they've produced what, maybe 5 saws throughout their history? I foresee Jonsered being sold in Wal-fart and flowes in the next 5 yrs since your really just buying a red Husky anyways. I'd say if you buy another 50 or 60 saws they'll have hit 100 saws manufactured andddddddd if you become a dealer you'll make what, say #4 or 5??? I gotta say JR has got to be the only dealer network that sucks worse than Dolmar or Stihl. Honestly I don't think anybody running JR's should be saying anything about Stihls. My 044 walked all over about 1/2 dozen 2171's and I did it just to show'em they were junk and at their request for talking smack. As far as this whole Stihl bashing thing goes, I dare anyone to put their other saws through the conditions alot of my buddies do everyday. Many months of the year are wayyy below zero up here. They'll cut 5+ tandems everyday with 044's. This is one of the most tried/proven/ and hands down one of the best saws ever built by any company. In my neck of the woods they swear by them and it's been a sad day to see them go. Anyone that complains at how junky they are either hasn't run them or they are just trying to stir the pot because of a lack of knowledge. More 44's are used across the globe than ANY other single saw I'd say, it's not because they are junk. Maybe you should actually work with a bunch of guys that cut wood instead of probably a bunch of guys around your neighborhood drinking beer and bringing you their saws because they were drunk and forgot to mix the gas.... This thread is crap. And what's more, I still haven't seen a single post about what is actually wrong with the saw or what was found...

:notrolls2: :sucks: :givebeer:

Do people acc cut wood in FL or just talk about it.:jester:

I am simply amazed at this post.

Once again, an Echo saves the day.... He has 2 saws, Echo and Stihl, The stihl failed.

Red, you have a line up of wal mart specials that you have drug out of the dumpster & trashed trade in saws that have been given to you. True, Ive probably got 200 bucks invested in the lot of em.

From what it sounds like, not many of them run. Only a few dont run, the 306-A needs a muffler, and the Wizard BS-13 needs a carb.

That being said, if you cant repair a POS saw, how the heck would you be able to repair a Stihl. Who says I cant repair a saw? My customers have never complained.

Do you know even know how to clean & rebuild a carb & then properly adjust it ?? Good God I hope so.

How many hours do you have under your belt running a saw?? Not a heck of alot, I work on them, I dont use them much. Im in the South, not alot of demand for firewood except between january and some of Feb. When it gets real chilly, just flip on the heater and be done with it.

Im talking about actually cutting wood, not runing one in the garage, or will your Mom not allow you to actually cut wood with a saw because she is afraid you will hurt yourself. Wow..just...wow

Do you know how to sharpen a chain with a file ?? Yes, but I like a Grinder, I use a Stihl Grinder.

Do you know how to do basic troubleshooting without making it sound like you are doing brain surgery. Yes.

You speak of doing a pressure test. Do you even own the tools do do one ?? Own them? Heck no. Got a few sets at work, including the one in the Echo Diagnostics Tool Kit.

I have a suggestion for you Red: You need to shut your mouth & open your ears; Look, listen & learn Thanks dad....any more words of wisdom?

As has been suggested, why dont you quit bashing the saw (which is better than any POS that you own by the way) The MS-280 cant hold a CS-520's jock strap, so dont even go there, Heck Ill bet the little 350 is even better than the 280.

Fix the saw & then come back & tell us what was wrong with it, how you found out what was wrong with it & how you fixed it.

I intend to. It's at work, Im at home. Tomorrow is Sunday, so dont be shocked if I dont post the findings until Late monday, maybe even Late Tuesday.

What do you mean Space ??

Stihl wont let a 21 year old kid with a garage full of Poulans & Taiwan made macs that he pulled out of the neigborhood dump be a Stihl dealer.

Red its a good thing you didnt become a Stihl dealer.

What would you do with 50K worth of flimsy plastic junk saws ??

THE ONLY STIHL SAW IVE EVER BEEN COMPLETELY DISAPPOINTED IN IS THE MS-280...Good lord how hard is it for folks to understand this?

I dont like alot of them, but I cant beleive Stihl put their name on this one.

Hey, who knows, it might be a good saw when it runs...but for 500 dollars Id except more from Stihl.

... I'd send it back to the stihl dealer an stay "fix it right". If they don't, escalate it to the regional Stihl office.

My neighbors bought a 440 and had problems and the dealer sent it back to Stihl and they gave them a new 441.
That 280 sounds about half as bad as the Husky 55 I had and I made the mistake of neglecting to use my warranty thinking I could fix it. I have owned many saws but when it come to losing money that one far exceeded my 2 worst other saws together. Mostly my fault for not using the dealer, and manufactor's warranty. I bought a Husky 372 (used) after that and I was sorry for that purchase to. It reminded me of the 55 about a day after I got it . I quickly hated working on it and it didn't feel built much better then the 280's I used in the past. A freind of mine with a tree business went from an o26 to a 346xp for about 1 year then give it away and bought a 280. He has had the 280 at least 2 years and he has told me more then once he really likes the 280. Personally the suspension on the 280 feels feeble to me and like most high compression lightweight saws starting them isn't user freindly as I like, but they run well and I haven't seen any problems with the 2 I worked with and around several months with a tree service.

Back