Without a doubt, the crappiest STIHL ever produced...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing wrong with an opinion....

Red's thread didn't strike me as "All Stihl's are junk". But there's no reason to get defensive just because he said that the famed stihls that another company had needed repairs. I'm sure that if you search long enough, you'll find someone with an 044 or dare I say a 361 that has had issues.

This thread is like comparing Jack Daniels to Kool Aid. I don't know WTF it means.

Hey I got 999 posts, that is evil doing a hand stand!

Last edited:
Red's thread didn't strike me as "All Stihl's are junk". But there's no reason to get defensive just because he said that the famed stihls that another company had needed repairs. I'm sure that if you search long enough, you'll find someone with an 044 or dare I say a 361 that has had issues.

Yeah I agree...but you need to piece together his other threads to get the full picture of his latest claims.

I think it was pretty clear that that never worked out. Property is too expensive and too hard to find. Stihl demanded too much up front investment, totally rediculous to demand what they did.

Im still not sold on Husky, the 350 is decent, it cuts well, but it doesnt feel solid.

Poulan, Ive got alot of em, they work, parts are everywhere and cheap. Taken care of, they can last a very long time. Run any saw with no air filter, or on raw fuel, and it will burn up, this goes for Echo, Stihl, Husky, Dolmar, Jonsered, Efco, whatever you got.

When I picked up the MS-280, It immediatly felt different than any other stihl Ive ever handled. Almost seemed like that cut a bunch of corners to make an inexpensive homeowner saw that was light...but after seeing the cost, and feeling the weight...I can tell that is not the case.

For what it's worth, im not your typical 20 year old. Ive graduated a 1200 hour small engine course, in fact, they offered me the teaching job when I was done, seriously.

Im also going to take the B&S Master Service Tech. test in a couple months, to get my MST and Dealer status. At that point Ill lease a shop I found near here.

Red did your dream ever come true.???

Last edited:
ciscoguy01 said:
Didn't Jonsered just come out with their 4th saw in their line-up??? That means they've produced what, maybe 5 saws throughout their history?

Actually Husqvarna owes a lot of their design and development to Jonsered engineers. When Husqvarna purchased Jonsered they took a lot of the plans that then-current Jonsered developers were working, which I've read included the design for the 371XP.

too many saws not enough pawn shops

Only one saw in your list was ever designed to "not be a disposable saw" The Mac Timberbear. Keep it, find a gas station nearby and run a really long hose to the saw. It will save you alot of time. The 028's you speak of is in fact the worst saw Stihl ever produced. But I'd take any other stihl over your list of wanna be's saws, any day of the year. Stop shopping at the pawn shops and you'll be much happier, not getting everbody else's junk. My one stihl is worth more than all your junk saws put together. Get a stihl or get out of the woods.:jawdrop:

THE ONLY STIHL SAW IVE EVER BEEN COMPLETELY DISAPPOINTED IN IS THE MS-280...Good lord how hard is it for folks to understand this?

I dont like alot of them, but I cant beleive Stihl put their name on this one.

Hey, who knows, it might be a good saw when it runs...but for 500 dollars Id except more from Stihl.

Once you get the 260 fixed you can dump the top paragraph of your signature in the dumpster. Not only will it shorten the occupied space of your AS posts, but the garbage will be isolated above your signature ;).

Yeah I agree...but you need to piece together his other threads to get the full picture of his latest claims.

What latest claims?

Ive never pretended to like Stihl, that was the case from Day 1 on here. I conceded to sell them, so I would pretty much HAVE to support them...but that never panned out.

Ive got a few, I dont go out of my way to fix my own Stihls, Im not going to bust my butt to get parts for them, Frankly I dont really need them, but they were Free.

You guys act like you have to have an $800+ saw that can sling a 36" bar running 3/8" Chisel to go get firewood, well I dont. What I do could be done by half that amount of saw.

The other day I found an ad for Free Firewood. I go to get some and Darned if the only thing left was stumps, trunks, and limb stubs. I collected what I could use, and left. Did I need trunk wood? No.

If I was a rich man, Id most likely have a huge garage filled with 1 of every model saw, from a Poulan XX, to a Stihl 090....probably would still use the Wild Thing to cut limbs and stuff, and the 520 to split with...they work for me, Im comfortable using them.

Im not one to go out and cut up 3 trees for firewood. For one my back wouldnt let me load it. (Broken Vertabrae when I was 5). Which is yet another reason why Heavy saws with huge bars dont impress me.

Red did your dream ever come true.???

Course not...it never does.

That shop I wanted to lease...guy decided not to lease it, he is using it for storage.

Briggs MST, Still got to take it, but the ATL is a day drive away. Ill be able to do Briggs Warranty repairs at work, so that will be cool. Briggs rep said that he wont come down here for 1 person, and there hasnt been a single person in this region that's taken the test in some 2-3 years.

Dreams are for Dreamers...As for the rest of us here in Reality...we know the truth.

So... Red.. BS aside..

Do you like the 025?
Do you like the 029?
Do you think they are constructed better than the 280?
Do you think the MS270/280 is decent replacement for those saws and target market?

Last edited:
what ails me

A bad back is exactly why I went to a stihl. I now carry a 360pro, the lightest, best power to weight saw Stihl offered at the time. It replaced the Mac Timberbear I mentioned earlier. But I will say this Carry a 360pro and you would have taken the trunk, stumps and everything else home in smalll peices. But really that's pathedic you took all the small stuff and yet you claim to have all those chainsaws. When sombody offers free wood you take the good with the bad, not just the good. They were probably trying to clean a mess up and now they're stuck with the hard to deal with peices. Not a good practice my man.............

So... Red.. BS aside..

Do you like the 025?
Do you like the 029?
Do you think they are constructed better than the 280?
Do you think the MS270/280 is decent replacement for those saws and target market?

My 025 doesnt have a bar cover, but it ran well till the fuel line split. Ive run a couple, it felt good.

029, dont see too many, dont recall running one, but I may have. They start to run together after you've seen, run, and used so many saws.

I cant say if the 029 is built better, But the 025 feels like it is. Feels more solid, just holding it. The mono-lever thing seems to work better on my 025, than this 280...

I think Stihl could have done some thing better on the 270/280. I feel like the air filter is lacking, I can see it leaking if partially clogged. Really dont like the way the recoil looks and feels. The whole thing feels cheaply made.

Target market is Homeowner Im assuming, I feel like for the occasional user, if it can start right up, and is taken care of, they might be decent saws. Can we agree that the saw feels different than the models before it?

A bad back is exactly why I went to a stihl. I now carry a 360pro, the lightest, best power to weight saw Stihl offered at the time. It replaced the Mac Timberbear I mentioned earlier. But I will say this Carry a 360pro and you would have taken the trunk, stumps and everything else home in smalll peices. But really that's pathedic you took all the small stuff and yet you claim to have all those chainsaws. When sombody offers free wood you take the good with the bad, not just the good. They were probably trying to clean a mess up and now they're stuck with the hard to deal with peices. Not a good practice my man.............

I took what I could use. No sense in taking wood you dont need...and cant move.

They took down 3 trees, everyone before me took all the good stuff, all the "logs" yo uwould typically use in a medium sized fireplace. I was left with the trunk and stubs.

These flks had no intentions of lifting a finger to get rid of this wood. That's why they put out ads for free wood. They didnt need it, they couldnt use it, so they wanted someone to come take it off their hands.

As I said in that thread, I had my 520 with me, If I wanted to, I could have cut up most any log there. But it would have been still sittign there, cause I couldnt have gotten it in the truck.

What I ended up doing, just to get more wood, was find one of the mid sized trunks and cut off 6-8" thick cookies, then split them into halves. I got a few of these, and shortened one huge log quite a bit.

heck.. that was a big step down from "crappiest saw ever made!".

Sure they feel different... the older models are "AV rigid", more plastic and not the friendliest saws to work on. The MS270/280 are a heck of a lot better from a service perspective... and have less plastic... and meet current EU/UK vibration specs.

You think the 025 airfilter is better? lolol

And yes.. they all start and run well..

Last edited:

Sure they feel different... the older models are "AV rigid", more plastic and not the friendliest saws to work on. The MS270/280 are a heck of a lot better from a service perspective... and have less plastic... and meet current EU/UK vibration specs.

You think the 025 airfilter is better? lolol

Less plastic on the MS-280?? I dont see how that's possible unless the early ones came with a bag of Legos tied to the rear handle...:dizzy: :dizzy:

Crappiest Stihl ever made...

Ive never liked the Stihls, but Ive always repsected that they were build fairly stoutly...not saying it's required or nessecary to be built as stout as an 044...but thi thing was like going from an old Muscle car..tight, well built...to a Neon...cheaply made, lots of plastic...

Check out the engine construction.... Then compare...

If I have to go that far, I will.

When I was at the Echo school, they had some Echo motors that were cross sectioned. Man that's cool! It reminded me of your Stihl Jug thread...but with seals, bearings, gaskets, crank and rod still installed and turning.

Back