Without a doubt, the crappiest STIHL ever produced...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While your cleaning up your 520 see if you can confirm your answer on what that part is made out of.

It's metal.

The only plastic is the top cover, bar cover, and recoil. The rear handle, AV cradle is plastic, which includes the fuel tank.

Same with the CS-440.

The CS400 and 370, that peice is plastic. I confirmed that at the Echo school.

It's metal.

The only plastic is the top cover, bar cover, and recoil. The rear handle, AV cradle is plastic, which includes the fuel tank.

Same with the CS-440.

The CS400 and 370, that peice is plastic. I confirmed that at the Echo school.

Seems strange to have a modular motor on it if it isn't plastic.

my step brothe has an ms270 and i didn't notice anything bad about it.

i was quite impressed with it.sounds like this clown needs to stagger down to HD and pick him up another ECHO sold to him by a stoned teenager.

Seems strange to have a modular motor on it if it isn't plastic.

Pretty sure all of Echo's motors are modular in all saws. But Im not 100% on the smaller ones. And I dont feel like looking it up right now.

Pretty smart if you ask me. You can remove the whole motor, seals, bearings, crank, everything without having to split any cases or anything like that. Just think, not having to press in bearings. If a seals goes bad, or a bearing fails...you just take the 4 bolts out of the bottom, take off the carb/intake. Lift the motor out, take off the shell, lift out the bearings and seals, put in new ones, put the cover back on, seal it up, put the motor back in the case, 4 bolts...put the intake on, carb...done.

no worries on pushing the bearings in too far...cracking the case, making sure the seals are in all the way...

Wow,I've just read 9 pages for nothing.I think I'd have found out what was wrong with it then posted how good/crappy it was and why.Just a thought:)

im no stihl hater, infact i used to be diehard stihl. the 440 is the best saw i ever used, the 270-280 the worst. im talking real saws, not garden saws.

in my case the saws where bought at differant times and places and used by 2 differant groups of people. the both exibited the same issue, problems, tendancies.

for the life of me i cant see why peeps like them so much. i think a lot of it has to do with fanboyism.

for 400 plus i expect and can get a lot better saws. there clearly is a soft spot in the stihl line-up here.

im not alone in my feeling as other have express the same issues as i encountered.

:sucks:

IF you believe any of what Red's saying, a guy goes to a Stihl dealer and drops $500 on an MS 280. The saw never runs right, so after 1 unsuccessful trip to the dealer to try to get if fixed under warranty, he puts it on a shelf and runs his backup Echo until yesterday. At that time, he takes it to Red and they have a nice conversation about what a cheap POS the saw is. Rather than tearing it down and telling us what the problem is, Red decides to start a thread on what he considers to be the worst Stihl saw ever made. A judgement had been made about the MS 280 without ever running it and using it for the purpose for what it is intended.

I'd say Red is about as qualified to critique the Stihl MS 270/280 saws as I would be to post a review of Echo's I've never run here. All I know about Echo's was learned by picking one up at a dealer once, which is about the same extent of knowledge Red has about the 280.

I'm calling total BS on the whole story.

I'm calling total BS on the whole story.

Ya' Think ?????

He cast his line...........they rose to the bait..........

He has a very active imagination.And they bought it hook line and sinker......

What better way to get a rise then to put down the one brand of saw most people on this board like.

His shenanigans are getting real old.Would be nice if he posted someting useful once in awhile instead of ramblins' about his landfill saws.

I'm convinced when you have crap, it tends to pile up. Such is the case with Red. Personaly I can't decide whether I like this site, due to the endless heaps I've already stepped over. It's like that corner in the yard the dog craps in, except for this Red charactor, those piles turned out to be chainsaws.:deadhorse:

I'm convinced when you have crap, it tends to pile up. Such is the case with Red. Personaly I can't decide whether I like this site, due to the endless heaps I've already stepped over. It's like that corner in the yard the dog craps in, except for this Red charactor, those piles turned out to be chainsaws.:deadhorse:

Try rebuild threads, they are really good.

Latest posts

Back