wood chip business

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dblack

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
this is a question of a little different nature. i have been grinding stumps and doing light tree removal now for a year. i have learned a lot and really enjoyed it. at a barbecue a few weeks ago a buddy of mine (who knows i work with trees) said i need to get into the wood chip business. he is an avid barbecuer and said the market for apple and hickory wood chips is amazing. i know absolutely nothing about this but does anyone else know if there is money to be made doing this with the chips coming from a bandit chipper? i am seeing hickory ones go for around 3 dollars a pound a local hardware store. im sure you would want quality hickory but is there a certain age that is optimal for barbecues?

thanks

I had this same discussion with my brother and dad over the winter. It seems you could make some decent money selling chips.

Sounds like your buddy doesn't have any idea what he's talking about. I come across people like that all the time, who tell me I ought to be in (insert whatever here) even though they have zero experience of it themselves.

Wouldn't it be better and cheaper to use a bandsaw and a table top planer to make the chips for smoking? The bandsaw could cut the chunks for the guys who want chunks and the planer could make the chips the size you want. Much easier to control want wood you use to keep the crap out. You could also use the bandsaw to make little boxes to sell the wood in.

A dedicated chipper would probably be required. One strand of poison ivy and you'd be done, or worse.
Then there's the packaging and the marketing. Lots of hours will go into those three dollar bags unless you find a few restaurants or something that'll take the stuff in bulk, green, within a day or two of processing. Run the real-life numbers and do the market research.
Keep us posted, I'm interested in hearing more.
Best regards

Chips need to be run through a kiln to kill all bugs, just like interstate shipping of wood pallets,certified as well if looking to go to fair sized operation. They need to be heated to x temp for x hours ( sorry forget specs) but that would not mean they are dried to a moisture content of 8% though. Them little bags of chips around here are $7. Generally you need to soak them for a couple days before use. Local sales say through CL or other local media could net you some income if you can keep processing down to bare minimum. Peeling bark should get past the noxious growth contamination delema. Bark isn't what potential customers are looking for anyway. Simple plastic bag, label from computer printer slipped inside, off and running in that department. I just did a couple bushel baskets worth of apple ( 1"x2" apx. cubes for a customer. I only do bulk sales and only local ) Some of these barbeque ribs/ chicken restaurants/carry out establishments want splits for their grills. Those are beyond my ability quantity wise as I can't give a guarantee of product delivery.

Back