Wood customers driving you crazy.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bookerdog

The New Champ
Reaction score
Do you guys have wood customers that just drive you crazy.

1. Guy calls me to come back and pickup and trade him for a wheelbarrow load of wood that was 16 1/2 inches instead of 16. Even though I told him my wood ran 12 to 18inches.

2. Guy calls me and tells me I shorted him. I went back to his house and looked at his stack. He thought a cord was 5x5x8 instead of 4x4x8. Never told me sorry.

3. Guy tells me he lives just off some road. 18miles just off.

The list goes on and on. I enjoy cutting and selling firewood parttime. Its the people that makes it no fun.

Hmm. That makes me think it might be worthwhile to print up a flyer containing such information as the size of a cord of wood (4'x4'x8'), the length of the pieces being sold, and a map showing the 'free' delivery radius, etc.

The general public seems to be pretty ignorant sometimes, and handing out such a flyer with each load of wood might help ed-u-cate them. At least it should cut down on the claims of being 'shorted' due to someone not knowing what a cord equals :)

When I bought wood by the cord back in the 90's, this reputable dealer brought me a cord that had all kinds of dirt and gravel on it. I called him and told him about the wood and he said, he would bring me out another cord to replace the bad one.

I told him I would help load the bad cord in his truck and he said don't worry about it, it was his mistake and it wasn't worth the time. He brought me another cord and it was mostly oak and things were good.

That is a good wood seller in my book.:cheers:

Shipper

Haven't really had a bad pita customer yet *knocks on nearest wood* with the exception of a guy we've dubbed 'Mr. Anal' who swore up and down he got shorted 1/10th of a cord (we brought him nearly a rick to make it right), but he ordered (and got) another cord last week and was all happy and polite.
Most of the wood I've delivered this year has been donations to people in need, I'd be fairly put off if we got complaints from them as they get the cream of the seasoned fir (and I haven't even started on my shed yet, something about the cobbler's children havin' no shoes). Where I have run into total pains is from well meaning (for the most part) folks donating wood to us, one nice old couple offered a number of felled firs to us, I go and look at the site and its 100ft down a ravine with limited access from the top, yikes! Not to mention its a 4mile 45degree road to get there (oh ya, bust my nackers then drive it down, yup really wanna do that uh-huh :bang:). Yesterday I looked at some more offered wood, one absolutely beautiful 4'diam 30' old growth dougy to die for, on a hill (100+ft to road through the cedars @ 60deg slope, and 12' below their beatifully manicured yard. I calculated the weight (probably pushing 5tonnes), the slope, my crews backs, general dangers, etc. and passed on it (though I'll keep it in mind, like I said, beauty wood), and them being nice folks I suggested finding someone with a CSM set up to do it up on site (we're talkin' 30' clear tight grain after all), or a helicopter :D Been a thread or two already about HO's wanting stuff done for basically free ('oh and you can have the wood if you clean up.', ya right, duh!) and run into them at times, believe me my general good humor gets stretched sometimes even though it feels so good ta just laugh in their faces and call 'em *****nuts, I can't do that (or I should say haven't yet).
Other than that its been a great,though wet, day, how's everyone else today?

:cheers:

Serge

I was running a little behind one day and it was getting dark. I showed up at the house and the guy came out and told me he would help. I said great so he got his wheel barrow. After taking a rank of wood back he asked how much to buy the extra on my truck. I told him he had helped I would just give him 2 full wheel barrows. He said thanks and I took my check and left. His wife called the next day and said she was putting a stop payment on the check. She told me the wood was rotten and it wasn't any good. I told her not to put a stop payment on the check that I would just bring it back to her. She said that she would keep the wood if I wanted to knock $60 off the load. I told her I didn't want her to be unhappy so I would come get the wood and bring her her check. She said you are really going to come and get it. I said yes I want you to be happy and we should just go our separate ways. I deliver 50 cords last year and she was the only complaint. I think she was trying to get something for nothing. She went on the preferred customer list prefer not to deal with.

Scott

I get 3-4 ?????ers a season, usually it is cause I come and pickup my firewood after they write a rubber check lol my only complaint was last year a guy called wanting wood and I told him I didn't have time because I was upto my bum in snow drifts plowing and after giving me the sob story about his 25 children getting cold I decided to send a guy out with a cord, he was 10 miles past where he said he was and to top it off after my guy pulled the lever and dumped it the guy was $20 short so I told him on the phone to just mail me the difference all was fine til about 4 days later and I had the local news station on my ass about how he was 4 wheelbarrows short of wood they got off my rump when I told them he was $20 short on payment oh well, I have 10 cords down already this season without a hitch....:knocking on wood:

I can't believe people actually measure the piles and complain but then again I'm not surprised either. I delivered some this year and told the people it's roughly a cord. I use the "that looks good and then add a little more" theory. I know what a cord looks like in my truck so I'm not too worried.

As a customer, I'd have to pipe in to say it's tough to find a good "wood guy". One time I thought I had one, then he went out of business the next year. I think the best chance of doing well is to steer clear of the amateurs-experience counts for a lot. Last year I got a tri-axle load of logs and cut and split it myself, but man, a fair amount of effort, even with a power splitter.

Several years ago I had a guy tell me there was no way there was a cord of wood on my truck. Rather than drive away, I got him to bet me double or nothing on the price of a cord. Stacked it up, and it was several cu. ft. over so I threw that back in the truck.
It sure was nice getting paid double for that cord. Funny thing was he never ordered any more wood from me.:rolleyes:

Andy

I hope i'm not a crazy wood customer: I burn close to 5 cords/year as a main source of heat for my home and family. I don't consider myself a weekend warrior, but at the same time i'm not some sappy homeowner ordering 1/2 cord here and there to keep the fireplace looking pretty.

I have a saw and manage my property/collect wood, etc. - but for the most part I rely on split/deliveries of (what I hope is) seasoned wood. I've had many wood dealers over the years and the number of crappy dealers i've done business with outweigh the good dealers 3-1.

A cord is a cord is a cord, it's not rocket science. I just find it hard to believe that there are so many dealers who do this for a living who just can't understand this concept.

Biggest thing I see around here besides cross stacking is the 2 ranks equals a cord. Sure it does if you are cutting 24inch wood. Nobody around here burns 24inch wood anymore. People are selling 2 ranks cut 18 inches as a cord. I sell my wood cut 16inches. I don't advertise it as a 1/3 of a cord. If i did people wouldn't call as much. The would see the other guys ad and say well I'm getting a half cord for the same price. When they call I explain that they are getting a 1/3 of a cord and that the other guys half cord really isn't. I never met 80% of my customers. I get the address and deliver. I leave my name and address and they mail me a check. That builds a lot of trust with people. They have the final say on weather or not to send a check.

Scott

I cut my own- about 16-18 inch range. My friend had a cord delivered- all sizes and shapes. Seems to be poor burning also. I'm going to check out for myself this "seasoned" load of wood. Probably will have to help him out with some of the wood I have. Seems the wood guy is crazy in this instance. Also extra to deliver within 5 miles(?) to dump in the driveway.

This is my first year of selling wood. I gotta say that it's been pretty gravy so far. Several people have payed over the amount I charge. No one has had anything but compliments for the service and they are telling their friends too!

Most of them think I'm an idiot for splitting it all by hand, but they BUY wood.:buttkick:

face cord aka stack

I never ever deliver and sell it by the stack problemed solved..:buttkick:
What you see is what you get!!:popcorn:

one issue

Olny had one problem this year in my 30-40 cords. One person short about 1/4 of a cord. I deliver one at a time and he got 5 from me so in the mix he was shorted. I filled up the truck with 1/3 ( lil over what was due ) and he was happy as can be. The next week his friend down the street got 4 cords and they both pre ordered green in the spring. Its all about how you deal with people in this world, treat them right and you will be taken care of. Give a good product at a fair price, be on time, and answer your phone calls even if you know you dont have any more wood. Alot of people have ordered from me the following year just because i called them back to tell them i was out. Just be up front and honest and you should be ok in the long run.

PS. you cant avoid all wack jobs...we will all get our turn dealing with them.

Latest posts

Back