Wood Handling Gloves

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vermonster

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've had trouble finding a "decent" pair of gloves for some time now. They all seem to wear out on the middle finger and thumb from pitching wood.
Yes,...I've used the "Red Green" duct tape repair on these gloves, but does anyone know of some truly rugged gloves on the market?? :greenchainsaw:

Thanks much, :givebeer:

Carl

I've been using a brand called 'Ironclad'. I got them at Menard's (don't know if that hardware store exists in your neck of the woods).

They're probably a made in china thing but they have reinforced fingertips and fit my hands pretty well. They've lasted two years of decent use.

They are slightly insulated for cold climate use - but I wear them year-round because my hands get freaking cold all the time. I guess I need to put on some more insulation.:)

I really liked the gloves called Heat Trac Gloves. I just wish I bought every one they had when I found them, becasue I cannot now. Now I use the Kinco gloves, I think Baileys sells them too.

im a big fan of the pig skin gloves that have the reinforced plam. 8 or 10 bucks a pair and they are flexable enough to not restrict your grip. im sure they would last longer than 2 weeks if you didnt cut and stack 10+ cords a week :dizzy:

http://www.kinco.com/

A couple years ago all the normal brands (Wells Lamont, etc) I used to buy locally at farm coops or hardware stores started just not fitting right. Something about how the fingers were stitched felt like they were restricting me each time I moved them. Stihl's brand gloves were the best I could find, but still not what I expected for a glove fit.

Found the Kinco's at the Work 'n Gear chain and love them. They wear and fit like a work glove should.

I would be glad to pay $$$ if I could find gloves that the fingertips did not wear out after a month

The best Gloves I use are made from Moose hide they look just like roper gloves made from Deer or Cow but last three times as long. No wander the Indians used Moose hide for moccasins. I have about 9 cords of wood handling on mine. As to store bought gloves if you have big hand's stay away from the rubber coated Cotton ones as I like them because they grip real good, but are so tight the burst at the seems have yet to find a pair that fit's good. I have long fingers and would like to find a pair of them rubber coated cheap gloves that fit right it's a never ending search.

Same here, I got the Ironclad winter thinsulated gloves at HOme Depot last winter and used them alot doing everything and alot of wood cutting and hauling, still look new, I've been impressed....I also wear out all the fingers but these have a sewn on piece of rough leather on the finger tips...I'd really like them if they had a velcro wrist....I don't like jamming my hand in there oh and they aren't waterproof....Depot was out of the Ironclad ones that were waterproof last year...

Found them here so you can see them...http://www.palmflex.com/product.php?productid=940&cat=10&page=1

I've been using a brand called 'Ironclad'. I got them at Menard's (don't know if that hardware store exists in your neck of the woods).

They're probably a made in china thing but they have reinforced fingertips and fit my hands pretty well. They've lasted two years of decent use.

They are slightly insulated for cold climate use - but I wear them year-round because my hands get freaking cold all the time. I guess I need to put on some more insulation.:)

I checked out those gloves at Wesleys, you have to buy 12 pair cost is $94.68 and outrageous S&H of $31.63 for a total of $126.31 that is $10.52 per pair. Not too bad if they last. Maybe we could get 12 people to go in on a order? But then additional shipping also, you could stuff a pair into a flat rate envelope from usps for $3 I think it is.

I got a pair of the Ironclad gloves for xmas last year...split and stacked 14 cords of wood with them and they still look great. Just a little tear at the wrist where you constantly pull against the elastic to get on and off.

I'd buy a pair as they are pretty warm and I have yet to go through a finger tip!

I looked at the iron clad but honestly I would never spend $27 for a pair of work gloves. They may last a long time, but the trouble is I would lose them long before they ever wore out. Or I should say I would lose one glove. I have about 15 left hand gloves in a pile in my basement.

Last edited:
I just literally smoked a couple pair of gloves this weekend. Wet from hauling wood in from the woods, so I had the smart idea of opening the boiler up and laying them on the doorway while i unloaded the trailer.
Wondered why i heard some water running and of course the gloves were smokin (fingertips on fire) and boiler was boiling over from overtemping.
Guess I need to add fire safe to my list of glove qualifications.

You guys are so close to the perfect glove with the tsc reference. I hate gloves, but I like the GESmchidt gloves. They are form fitting, have leather palm and fingers, are a brown color , a Carhart knockoff, 15-20 dollars. Last me until one of my boys(MEN) steals them, usually 18-24 months.Sort of a cross between a mechanic glove and a work glove and about 20.00....Lanny

these are my favorite when working wood - good grip and so cheap i just toss them when they were out

Perfect-Fit-Atlas-Xtra-LSS_i_LBF105127.jpg

I just bought 20 pairs of leather work gloves at Menards for $.65 each. That will last me a long time.:clap:

Back