Wood Handling Gloves

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a pair of welders' gloves. They are as rugged as can be. I also use them when filling up my Hardy as they protect me from the heat. Sure they are a little warm in the summer but I get used to them. The extra protection the offer, not to mention how far they come up on my forearm...is priceless to me.

I looked at the iron clad but honestly I would never spend $27 for a pair of work gloves. They may last a long time, but the trouble is I would lose them long before they ever wore out. Or I should say I would lose one glove. I have about 15 left hand gloves in a pile in my basement.

Hey, I've got about a dozen right hand gloves in my shop! I think we found a solution!

I've tried the rubber-dipped gloves and they do grip well, but here it's so humid my hands build up too much sweat in those things. Maybe it'll be better in the winter.

I've always preferred leather gloves but I hate getting sawdust and crud inside the glove. I've been wishing I could find a leather glove with a knitted wrist, and Gink595 posted his link (http://wesleyssupplyhouse.com/browseproducts/Heatrac-reg;-Multi-Layered-Leather-Gloves.HTML). I think I'll get some of these. The price sure is good.

I tend to wear leather gloves out in a hurry. Tried the rubber dipped gloves and couldn't stand the sweat build up(hot hands). My Father-in-law ordered some kevlar knit gloves for his shop and didn't like them so he gave them to me. I LOVE them. I've used one pair for two seasons now and they have no holes. Yes, they let some splitters through, but they are cool and tough as nails. For someone who has hot hands like me, they are a god send. They look just like the cotton faller gloves that Baileys sells, only they are yellow...can't seem to find a link right now.

PS..finally found a link..
http://www.selectsafetysales.com/p-258-kevlar-kutgard-cut-resistant-seamless-knit-gloves.aspx

Last edited:
Wood Gloves Revisited

Did we ever get a consensus on this? Has glove technology changed at all over the past 4 years? Finger tips seem to be wearing out as fast they have in the past. :givebeer:

Thanks much, Carl

Old thread but always good to find out what others find are best for them. Tsc link not working now. I use lined mid west split leather gloves always my favorite but getting harder to find and less quality in the gloves each year. Normally use 2 pairs a year last year bought 4 pairs 2 fell apart after 2 days still have one good pair left so I too am looking for something new that is warm to wear in the cold

Best I've found yet: "Atlas Fit" knit, with latex coating on the palm faces. Enable gripping with less squeezing force than alternatives. Wear much better than leather for working wood. Unlike leather, when they get dirty, quick trip through the washing machine freshens them right up.

Couple bucks per pair by the dozen. The dozen I got would seem to be sufficient for a while.

Std. thickness comfortable for 3-seasons. "Therma Fit" seem better suited to winter use- more on that after testing. I think it was Guido that tipped me about them- Thanks.

Leather gloves do have a place, too, like the ones with double-thickness palms, for A/V isolation.

White Ox gloves are all I wear! There awesome too! The guys out in the rigging wear them and they stand up to them like no problem. There Union Made and really awesome! Super comfy too. I buy a few pairs at a time with them so there cheaper.

Here is a link to them:

White Ox — North Star Glove

I personally like the elastic ones around the wrists.

I am on just the second pair (starting last winter, used a lot) of the rubber coated cotton gloves from the big orange box store, buck a piece in the multi pack. I use them for everything I do here except repairing fences, leather for that chore. but doing firewood, weeding, wrangling machinery, etc, best value for the loot I have found. Very similar to the atlas goves but I forget what brand they are, just packs of 5 or ten usually in a sale bin or rack.

OK, just went and looked, west chester brand, nitrile coated.

Well I do not buy any gloves. Half the time I just don't wear them, and rely on tough old calloused hands. I have many different styles of gloves that I keep on hand, and for free from my company I work for. Also lots of spare safety glasses and steel toe boots, and yep don't pay for them either. I found the cloth ones tend to stand up better to handling the rounds and splitting wood vs the leather ones. The leather ones I will quickly wear out a few fingers, but the cloth one's last much, much, longer. So I guess my favorite glove is the free glove! l

I use different gloves when sawing, but when stacking I wear Kinco. I bought a bunch of the train engineer kind with the stripes and I wear the lined ones in the winter since they are warmer. Last a long time stacking wood, cleaning the garage, small welding projects, grinding lawnmower blades, and filing my saw and so on.

Back