Wood id

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wvwoodsman5

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new here , thanks for having me. I'm a retired landscape contractor from eastern Pa. and i moved to West Virginia. I was looking for some firwood in the woods and saw a tree that was still standing but had no bark. I want to use dead stuff before i cut any live trees for firewood. I cut the wedge to drop the tree and noticed the inside was a dark brown all the way thru. In all my years i have never seen a tree with this color inside. It looks like mahogany but i think it only grows in tropical climates. Can you guys tell me what kind of wood this is and if it's worth selling for lumber or use it for firewood?

If you are a retired landscape contractor and don't know what a walnut looks like, its good you're retired.

Well aren't you a jackass ! Walnuts are only dark brown in the center, for your info. ! I know what a walnut looks like. By the way i'm retired because i knew what i was doing and made alot of $$$$$$.

Hi woodsman and welcome to the AS! You will (normally) find good answers here. :msp_smile:
I have no idea what kind of wood you're taking about without any pictures.
Göran.

Well aren't you a jackass ! Walnuts are only dark brown in the center, for your info. ! I know what a walnut looks like. By the way i'm retired because i knew what i was doing and made alot of $$$$$$.

:D:laugh::hmm3grin2orange:
Seriously , I want to know how to retire being a landcape contractor!

Sounds like it might be a highly valuable tree? Pics needed.

It's a Yankee Walnut, they're half yellow. We'd have to see a pic or two to be sure though.

:D:laugh::hmm3grin2orange:
Seriously , I want to know how to retire being a landcape contractor!

Sounds like it might be a highly valuable tree? Pics needed.

I know a couple that are millionaires we do work for a couple of the big names here in Chicago but why they would ever retire im not sure cause they don't do anything but meet with the big wigs at there big accounts every once in a while the rest of the operation is run by a guy like Jeff:wink2:. the rest of the time they are at there vacation houses

I know a couple that are millionaires we do work for a couple of the big names here in Chicago but why they would ever retire im not sure cause they don't do anything but meet with the big wigs at there big accounts every once in a while the rest of the operation is run by a guy like Jeff:wink2:. the rest of the time they are at there vacation houses

LOL!,,,,I wish they would retire!
Jeff :msp_biggrin:

Take it easy Francis. I was only joking. How can we ID a piece of wood without a picture? If your not too busy counting your money post a pic and lets continue this insightful discussion.

Take it easy Francis. I was only joking. How can we ID a piece of wood without a picture? If your not too busy counting your money post a pic and lets continue this insightful discussion.

Now thats just funny, I don't care what kind of wood you're burning.

Seriously, there are a few types of walnut, some have more rich color than others and sometimes the sap wood isn't that thick.

In the woods with no bark sounds like black locust, but it wouldn't be dark brown, not even sure I would say medium brown.

So we are all waiting for pictures so that we can again walnut.

Now I remember why I quit visiting this forum. Its like a ####### convention. Took me less then five mins to find somebody being rude to someone for no reason.

See you in another year or so arboristsite.com maybe the ground will suddenly rush up and knock some manners into some of these people.

Back