Wood Splitter Picture Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
built mine on a small boat trailer. at 65 mph you don't even know it's there. the leaf springs are excellent for towing.

pictures show the original 18hp engine, recently changed to a 16hp newer engine. 11/22 gpm pump.

in the process of adding trays on the side and looking into a best lift design for the heavy pieces.

5.5 inch cylinder, 2" ram only an 8" wedge to reduce stress. nothing has stopped it yet.

DSCF0205.jpg

DSCF0208.jpg

DSCF0209.jpg

Last edited:
I was warned to keep some weight on the tongue or I'd have problems. I'm looking at you narrow axle, rear weighted setup and thinking "I wonder how that thing tracks when he's towing it"

Roy

I keep it off the Interstate and around 40-45mph max to be safe, real bouncy. Not really leagal in Wa. no fenders or tabs. State Patrol really liked it crossing the ferry, told me to put lights on it, let her slide. All iron was scrap from a job, no flex in that beam. I went overkill with gussets in the tank too, Ironworker Mentality. No bolts anywhere, everything welded solid including the push plate which are beam clips upside down. Ive been seeing some cleverly engineered designs lately, but this has done so much work, myself and everyone who has used it loves it.

MGA, i like the boat trailer idea. thats a nice clean looking splitter there. the diamond plate adds a nice touch

Bump...

Anybody else have a splitter they want to show off? doesnt have to be pretty, just functional. im gettin mine on here today or tomorrow.

I like it jakers, but it's pointing the wrong direction!

I had a pm asking how mine was converted from 3 point to towed, and couldn't figure out how to put pics in a pm, so I'll post them here. This thing has been a tow behind ever since I've seen it, so I'm guessing a little, but the hubs, spindles, and tubing for the wheels look a lot like a rear half of a farm wagon, with the center cut out and the ends welded onto the splitter. The tongue was just welded onto the front of the frame. Over the years, I extended the hitch and PTO so it turns better, and a few hack welds and reinforcements where the tongue was originally welded to the frame cracked on me.

Notice how high up the top link is mounted. I'll guess this was done to clear the PTO with the pump mounted so high. I'll also guess it made it hard to lift and contributed to the towed conversion.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Full hands-free auto-cycle
10 second cycle time
Automatic throttle control
Adjustable stroke length (infinite from 1 to 25-inches)
8000 PSI operating pressure
18 “real” tons of force from a cylinder measuring only 2¾-inches outside diameter
Wedge, beam and cylinder tilt to the side for large rounds
Weighs less than 200 pounds (my 3-year-old can lift the beam and roll it around)

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

220416d1327811936-split2009-jpg

Nice! First time I ever wanted to follow a parade entry and pick up the "chunks."

220803d1327960832-spliter-5-jpg

Now that's just plain cheatin'! Can't help but like it.

I'll see about getting a few pictures of mine when I can get outside in the daylight.

heres mine just got 19 hours on it since I built it. 12.5hp kohler 22gpm barnes pump. 5"bore 30" stroke and 3 1/2" rod main splitting cylinder. prince auto cycle valve. log lift and hydraulic 4 way wedge with built in hydraulic jack. Takes 3 men to run this thing at full production. Sure is a big improvement over what I was using. I have added a few extras not in the pics. I added a work light and dual dolly wheels to put in the front with a fold down hitch for the rear so I can move it easier with the coot(the other orange thing in the pic). I will try to get a few pics in a few days.

View attachment 221435View attachment 221436View attachment 221437View attachment 221438View attachment 221439

Latest posts

Back