Wood Splitter Picture Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
244112d1341535419-log-splitter-010-medium-jpg

244113d1341535419-log-splitter-012-medium-jpg

244114d1341535419-log-splitter-013-medium-jpg

Heres my splitter from all wood. It's a nice splitter. There are some minor things I would tweak but overall it's a good splitter and it gets the job done. If you need to save some cash I would definitely go with all wood. But if you have the money for a Timberwolf and have the work to recoup the investment I would go with the Timberwolf. If something happens to fail on a Timberwolf within the warranty you can take it back to the dealership and tell them to fix it. I already had a valve go on this splitter. All wood sent me a new valve but no money to have a guy put the new one on. You might spend a little more on a Timberwolf but you always know if something fails within the warranty Timberwolf will fix it.

Alright fellas here are the pics some of you were asking for. Thanks to Hedgegrow for helping me figure out how to post pics. Geesh waht a pain. Anyway this is my grandpas splitter on loan to me indefinately. He told me I might as well keep it here where it will get used. Fine by me. It might not be the fastest splitter but it's way faster than splitting by hand. I don't have any specs on the pump or ram but i'v never even had it struggle to split something. I tried to see what max pressure was by putting a maple round in it against the grain but it crushed it before the gauge got past 4000lbs. I'm not sure the gauge is accurate. I would have thought it would take more than 2 tons to crush a maple round in half lol. The engine is off an old ThermoKing refridgerated trailer. It's a a horizontally opposed twin cylinder. Looks like half a VW engine. It's got enough power that I usually split with the engine idling. Running at higher rpm's just seems to push the ram a tad faster but seems to poweer through just the same. The thing is built like a tank. I'll never have to worry about damaging it but it's a little overkill for me. The tongue weight is around 150lbs and total weight, im guessing, somewhere around a half ton so i cant move it with the 3 wheeler or the lawn mower. My grandpa said he hired a local welder to build it for him in the late seventies. I'v been using it since i was a kid and with a little maintanence should last ling enough for my future children to use it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Could be called a John Deere :msp_razz:

Ive looked around thru the threads and couldt find one place for people to post pictures of their wood splitter set ups. if one exists already then point me to it. if not then lets make this the place and maybe down the road even a sticky. The splitters im refering to mostly are the home built or store bought and customized to work better for individual needs (add on log tables, 4 or 6 way wedges, log lift designs and build photos, etc). it be nice to have them all in one place

View attachment 244384

Hey Timber_Hitch, what size throat does that splitter have? Is it fast? Looks like a nice set up.

OWBGUY , the wedge stands 15" the ram stands 12" the cylinder is 6.5. I only run this splitter with normal flow hydraulics because its so fast. I guess I could be faster if it was a business but I only split what I need and for a close neighbor friend. Its a monster !
The Hi-flow option on the Bobcat is just to fast for me I dont get enough practice with just personal use. The standard flow makes it easier to pinch the wood without splitting it so you can move it to the splitting location if necessary.

Alright, been lurking around AS for a while now and came across this thread. Will post some pics when I figure out how. anyone ever hear of Robush woodsplitters? I have one my dad bought probably in the 70's, still used to this day.

My homebuilt splitter was built for the way we work out wood. 40 inch beam height, 25 HP motor, 28 GPM pump, 33 gallon hydro tank, 5 X 30 Prince cylinder, Full auto cycle valves, swing away lockable tables, stabilizers for dragging and lifting, cordless remote winch with 30 ft of reach, overhead light, Quick attach single or 4 way wedges, adjustable length stops and quick attach hitch system.
MVC-025S_8.JPG

MVC-026S_7.JPG

MVC-029S_3.JPG

MVC-018S_54.JPG

MVC-020S_42.JPG

MVC-023S_15.JPG

MVC-018S_55.JPG

Build can be viewed at:

http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/206143.htm

New Splitter........

I picked this up for a song and dance. It was a commercail verital shake splitter at one time. The guy I bought it from put a new 5HP Baldor motor 230V and a new hydraulic cylinder on it. The fluid resavoir is in the big square tube. It really splits big knotty blocks like nothing and is quite fast. I just have to get the thing set up the way I want. Its to low the way it is. I may put is on wheels but will mainly be in one spot. The thing weights a alot ! Big, heavy, well made.

View attachment 260847

I picked this up for a song and dance. It was a commercail verital shake splitter at one time. The guy I bought it from put a new 5HP Baldor motor 230V and a new hydraulic cylinder on it. The fluid resavoir is in the big square tube. It really splits big knotty blocks like nothing and is quite fast. I just have to get the thing set up the way I want. Its to low the way it is. I may put is on wheels but will mainly be in one spot. The thing weights a alot ! Big, heavy, well made.

View attachment 260847

Nice. I'd put it on wheels just to make it easy to move, and lower the motor a bit to get the CG down. Looks like it ought to do the job for ya.

Wow! Some really nice splitters here! Here is a picture of the one my dad and I made a few years back.

attachment.php

Looks a mess with all the hydraulic lines but once the cylinder goes up, they aren't a problem.

Wow! Some really nice splitters here! Here is a picture of the one my dad and I made a few years back.

attachment.php

Looks a mess with all the hydraulic lines but once the cylinder goes up, they aren't a problem.

Wow thats nice, you should post up a video of it working... Great idea for the clamps around the cylinder....

Wow thats nice, you should post up a video of it working... Great idea for the clamps around the cylinder....

It's a pretty heavy cylinder so we wanted to be safe :D It broke of the bottom plate, the one in the picture is already a new one. We also welded plates in the beam to keep it straight.

My parents got divorced and due to all the problem that go with it, I no longer have contact with my father so can't make a movie. But I'm thinking of making a new wood splitter in the same style. A little lighter though cuz this one was far too strong for the most jobs.

Can give you some specs though:
The beam is a HEB300: 11.72 inch wide and deep.
Piston rod (think that's the name in English) is 5.47 inch. It was an ex-military cylinder, just had to replace the seals.
Pump gives 170 liters oil a minute.
Used 4 pins with a diameter of 1.17 inch to lock the cylinder once it is up.
The winch on top to pull the logs under it, is made out of a forklift wheel :)
Used to have a oil filter on top of the oil tank (welded plates together) but that didn't went too well so we threw out the filter.

Hell of a machine, never had a log that we could not split :D

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back