Wood Stack Pictures

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm envious of you guys with room in the open to stack. This stuff isn't drying very well.
westshed-1.jpg

realwestshed.jpg

Couple more stacks but you get the idea. The ash which was cut at the end of winter is still 30%

Time to start moving some of it up the hill to the side of the garage I guess. PITA

I'm envious of you guys with room in the open to stack. This stuff isn't drying very well.
westshed-1.jpg

realwestshed.jpg

Couple more stacks but you get the idea. The ash which was cut at the end of winter is still 30%

Time to start moving some of it up the hill to the side of the garage I guess. PITA

Can I ask on which side of the building you're stacking that wood? Just curious, if it is getting less sunlight on that side, or more moisture, or less wind, or just the fact that it's next to the building.

Can I ask on which side of the building you're stacking that wood? Just curious, if it is getting less sunlight on that side, or more moisture, or less wind, or just the fact that it's next to the building.

It looks like he is stacking it on the OUTside!!:biggrinbounce2:

just kidding.

looks like you could have room to stack it if you moved the pile of wood with the ladder on it

It's stacked on 3 sides, east, n, and w.

The pile w the ladder is gone, but I can't move the stacks out due to the firepit that is 15' away. The lot is only 40x200 with the house, 2.5 garage, patio, and 25x35 shed.

I tried to stack relatively loosely but there's only so much a fella can do. The stack on the n side of the shed, as well as a row of pallets under a grape trellis (not shown) are already half on the neighbors lot. They're ok with it, but I'm pretty sure they're not gonna give up that nice open back yard for me ;)

I'm not worried bout sun, it's the wind.
I got a little carried away with my scrounging this first year and have enough for probably 2-3 years. The stack on the N side is about 6' high and 25' long, 48" deep.

Trial n error right? limited options and a massive amount of work into moving it many times before moving it to the furnace :monkey:
A coworker wants to put up a wood rack this fall. I may see if he's got extra room I could stack a couple cord out there. 18 acres of mostly farm field should let it dry much quicker.

[QUOTEI'm envious of you guys with room in the open to stack. This stuff isn't drying very well.
][/QUOTE]
Have you ever heard of the stuff called "RoundUp"?
Does wonders for weed control.
Anywood stacked near vegetation or a building doesn't dry or stay dry like wood out in the open away from trees or weeds. Unless its under roof assuming the building has good ventilation.

I love the stuff so much I sprayed the majority of the yard with it. Now when people drive by from the distance, it looks like I just had the yard freshly graveled. I haven't mowed for weeks! :spam:

:monkey:

[QUOTEI'm envious of you guys with room in the open to stack. This stuff isn't drying very well.
]
Anywood stacked near vegetation or a building doesn't dry or stay dry like wood out in the open away from trees or weeds. Unless its under roof assuming the building has good ventilation.[/QUOTE]

Ah yep. Heard of it. In fact I used a gallon of it to wipe out all those grape vines that are in the picture. Tough little bastards took over the entire area behind that shed including the small trees on the hill to the RR tracks.

I have 2 grape trellis from the PO. One has 4-5 cord of willow/poplar/pine/ash under it and the other 1.5ish cord of red/white oak. Not so good for sunshine! Waiting til fall to have someone come in and transplant them out of my yard. They are well established with a base of about 4" dia.

Alllll these pics were takin in spring before the grapes took off and the yard got cleaned up. They were posted somewhere else I think :monkey:
South side of shed trellis
southshed.jpg

oak trellis
grapestack.jpg

north side of the shed
northshed.jpg

Up by the garage is about 1 cord of willow/popple ( or something) with a face of ash and face of elm/ash mix thrown in.

I am a cross-bow fan. 4% Won't hurt my fir trees or grass but it knocks the :censored: out of the brush, tansie, bull and canadian thistles.

Last edited:
I used to cut and stack in a clearing in the woods. I now do it out in the field several hundred feet from the woods. My firewood stays nice and no rot. Even just partial shade from a nearby tree seems to keep things from drying out. Firewood lying in a pile 3yrs old is still solid as the day it was split only just some gray on it from being wet. That same stack if it were in the woods would have been ruined by now. Lots a ventilation and maximum sunlight will keep wood good even without being covered.

Here is some of my 2009 stash.
I have 10 racks like this, but only 8 show in the pic.
Each rack is roughly 1 face cord +/-.
Racks filled with White Oak, Red Oak, Cherry, Sliver Maple, Red Maple, Hickory, Ash, Basswood with about 75% of it all being oak.

Might have time to cut 3 more trees yet before deer season starts.

Racks filled with White Oak, Red Oak, Cherry, Sliver Maple, Red Maple, Hickory, Ash, Basswood with about 75% of it all being oak.

attachment.php

thought I'd embed the pict for you JPP. Nice wood racks.

That is a NICE looking 'crop' you got stacked up there in what looks like a field, JPP! I'm running a bit behind but at least I got my wood re-stacked so I don't take them down (accidentally) with the snow plow this winter.

Shari

BASSWOOD!!!!!! if that stuff is the same as what we call basswood up here--i wont touch that anymore---bought like balsa wood---POOF!!!! worse than cottonwood

Back