wood type

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wooly1

Reaction score
ive been cutting wood for my m-i-l and getting it for free but most folks tell me "you dont want that to burn" and i tell em crap wood is better then no wood. im not cuttin pine or ceder, whats yalls opinion?

Cedar and pine aren't the best firewoods, but they do burn fine and if the price is right (free), then go for it. But if you get a choice of a hardwood instead, grab that.

The BTUs are about the same per lb, but the oak etc is much denser, so you get more heat per cord of wood. You need bigger stack of pine to provide the same heat.

Ideally a mix of pine and hardwood is good, the pine burns fast and gets the fire going quickly, then add hardwood for a slow hot fire.

Cheers

Ian

ANY wood that you get for free is good wood. Only the wood snobs get picky. And I do consider myself a wood snob, but I will not turn down anything. Pine, Spruce, anything. The only thing that matters is good seasoning time, any type of wood, takes good seasoning time.

IMG_0485.jpg

good looking stack ya got there! we dont have much pine and not many ceder. im north of st. louis along the river.

There isn't any Pine or such in those stacks either. When I said I would never turn it down, I don't, it goes in the "Sell" pile. Unless My supply is low I stick with the Oaks and Locusts. I did burn Pine for the first winter, mostly from large skids from work, so you do what you got to do.

I use ash,maple, white birch, yellow birch and a little bit of beech and red oak up here in Maine. I also get one pickup load of cedar each year and split it into kindling. It's the best and you hardly need paper. This is importent to me because I have to light my Glenwood C cookstove every morning. :cheers:

I had plenty of time to work on that one, that stack is for the winter of '09 to '10. The one behind it is for this winter coming up later this a year.

OMG, time, must have alot. Those are real nice stacks. I actually love splitting and cutting, I HATE stacking:censored:

theres VERY few i wont burn--light stuff at start and end of season--good stuff inbetween---but i wont burn basswood--or a certain poplar--burns like paper---poof!!!!!!!!! o, catalpa either

lol..i gotta agree....you stacked that wood like a brick mason running bricks.

do you use a line level and a straight edge too??

just breakin 'em....:laugh:

nice and neat. gives me incentive to do mine alot better.

I need some tile work, can you do that as well as yer stacking?? Holy buckets man!!! Please tell me that you just did that for your post to make us a jellyious, it worked!! :cheers:

lol..i gotta agree....you stacked that wood like a brick mason running bricks.

do you use a line level and a straight edge too??

just breakin 'em....:laugh:

nice and neat. gives me incentive to do mine alot better.

Well, I do work 3rd shift, and during the summer when it's late, I'll stack the wood. I turn on a 500 watt shop light right in front and use the shadows as guides. It isn't as hard as it seems, just takes time and patience. Those stacks are my version of a Holzhausen, the perimeter is stacked normal, and the insides vertical, with the broad side facing south. It does wonders drying out the wood. In 4 months time you can dry out a fresh green stack of Elm that way, you can grab a piece from the inside and light it with a match pretty much.

Last edited:
I need some tile work, can you do that as well as yer stacking?? Holy buckets man!!! Please tell me that you just did that for your post to make us a jellyious, it worked!! :cheers:

Not jealousy, just wanted to store more firewood in my side yard without the neighbors complaining, and to get it to dry out a little faster. That is a little over 3 cords of wood, and I have since added 2 truck loads of Mulberry on top, I'll take a picture in the morning and update it.

Not jealousy, just wanted to store more firewood in my side yard without the neighbors complaining, and to get it to dry out a little faster. That is a little over 3 cords of wood, and I have since added 2 truck loads of Mulberry on top, I'll take a picture in the morning and update it.

Ever think of building a cord wood house?

Here is a couple of pics from this morning.

Here is the big stack with the Mulberry on top.

IMG_0788.jpg

And the stack of Pin Oak. All from one tree...

IMG_0789.jpg

And the stack of Elm.

IMG_0790.jpg

And the stack of Hackberry and Maple and a little bit of Cherry

IMG_0791.jpg

And all the stacks from the top of the side yard.

IMG_0792.jpg

Latest posts

Back