Wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raker

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
View attachment 252034View attachment 252035View attachment 252036View attachment 252037View attachment 252039

My sister has had a pretty large (50ft/24”+ diameter) tree down over a drainage ravine behind her house since she bought it two years ago. My Dad, future brother-in-law and I were able to get a good start on removing it this morning before the rain came. We dragged it in 3 foot sections up the bank with the ranger and then used the bobcat to load it into the dump trailer, it worked really well. Dad ran the Ranger and Bobcat, Matt was on the tongs and I was running my 372XP with a giant grin on my face. It was a little tricky because the tree was supported on both ends and was a ways up in the air (I’m short). I was careful and used my wedges. Thankfully I only pinched the bar once and was able to quickly free it with my 450. And yes, I was decked out in my PPE.
Question: We were thinking this was a red oak but weren’t sure. Do you agree? If not please let me know what it is.

I'm not one to play "ID this tree" very often, cause it's usually not this easy. Yep, red oak alright. Nice pics and equipment as well. Rep coming your way.

Not sure; it seems to give way to the smoother bark at a much bigger diameter than the red oaks I am accustomed in my neck of the woods. Maybe it is just a regional variety difference. Anyway it looks to be good firewood. I would love to have a little Bobcat like yours. Ron

Not sure; it seems to give way to the smoother bark at a much bigger diameter than the red oaks I am accustomed in my neck of the woods. Maybe it is just a regional variety difference. Anyway it looks to be good firewood. I would love to have a little Bobcat like yours. Ron

Thanks Ron. The bobcat is my father's. We have used it on a lot of different projects, it's very handy. He has a bucket, forks, and a snowblower attachment. He modified the grapple arms so they can be used on either the bucket or the forks.

Nice firewood score, but your Ranger is WAY TOO CLEAN! Get that thing dirty! :msp_sneaky: :laugh:

Nice firewood score, but your Ranger is WAY TOO CLEAN! Get that thing dirty! :msp_sneaky: :laugh:

Lol, you're not the first person to tell me that. It's been caked in mud lots of times but I payed way too much for it to just leave it that way.

Very good pictures there, Looks like you got all kinds of toys to play with there. Husky is buried nice in that trunk :)

Latest posts

Back