Woods porting a 044, picts heavy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great work. Thanks for the insight. These threads are very helpful.

I will now list the sizes of the improved flow of the ports.
Exhaust port cylinder side
Stock=27.13 mm wide
after=31.79 mm wide
stock=14.08 high
after =14.95 high

Intake port cylinder side
Stock= 28.71 mm wide
after= 30.71 mm wide
stock= 15.08 mm high
after=16.15 mm high

piston windows
Stock=6.92 mm wide
after =9.60 mm wide
stock=12.34 mm high
after = 15.34 mm high

exhaust port at muffler
stock=28.51 mm wide
after= 32.65 mm wide
stock= 18.83 mm high
after = 22.15 mm high

Piston skirt width exhaust side=33.87 -31.79=2.08/2=1.04 on each side for seal
Piston skirt width intake side= 33.85 -30.71 =3.14/2= 1.12 on each side for seal
The muffler, heat deflector and gaskets were ground to fit the exhaust port.

Last edited:
How do you figure what your after #'s are? what math is involved?

Thanks for posting these Jerry.

I am with Matt, all these threads help me understand even more. I also had somebody talk to me about porting the other day, kind of a hands on teaching and it helped tremendously

How do you port match the muffler? Take measurements on the cylinder port then transfer the numbers over to the muffler?

Thanks LP, I actually make a template for each model of saw I do, cut and file it to size and use it over and over, it positioned by using bolts in the cylinder that hold the muffler, mark the aluminum cylinder flange, remove it and mount it to the muffler, scribe the opening and then grind to fit, also grind out the muffler gaskets.
Pioneerguy600

Thanks for posting these pics Jerry, it was the piston windows that I still had the most questions about. I'm doing a 028 super right now, I just put up my tools and came in, I've got my cylinder finished and plan to work over the piston in the morning. I didn't know how much I should open up the windows, but after seeing how much you opened this one I now have a better starting point. Great looking work, I think you may have done this a time or two. Thanks again for the posts, rep sent.

i really want to get me a busted up 044. My old boss has about 50 of them & 046s. If I could just get him to part with his stuff(from old diesel stuff to saws) I could make him a ton of money on ebay.... the man has probably 300 lbs of stihl/husky parts dating back to the early 90s. all of the old stuff has long been disgaurded:taped:. He started out running pioneers, mccullochs & stihls. He said "home-a-lites" where under powerd and heavy. . .

Latest posts

Back