Woods porting a 044, picts heavy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for posting these pics Jerry, it was the piston windows that I still had the most questions about. I'm doing a 028 super right now, I just put up my tools and came in, I've got my cylinder finished and plan to work over the piston in the morning. I didn't know how much I should open up the windows, but after seeing how much you opened this one I now have a better starting point. Great looking work, I think you may have done this a time or two. Thanks again for the posts, rep sent.

Every little bit helps flow but don`t go too far,keep the structural integrity , just open, blend,and remove bumps and casting lines, this lightens up the piston some also.
Pioneerguy600

i really want to get me a busted up 044. My old boss has about 50 of them & 046s. If I could just get him to part with his stuff(from old diesel stuff to saws) I could make him a ton of money on ebay.... the man has probably 300 lbs of stihl/husky parts dating back to the early 90s. all of the old stuff has long been disgaurded:taped:. He started out running pioneers, mccullochs & stihls. He said "home-a-lites" where under powerd and heavy. . .

A gold mine.
Pioneerguy600

He is a good guy with a good nose for finding piles and piles of project saws. I'm just glad he's running modern saws now for his firewood instead of beating himself up on those old dinosaurs.

I had to twist his arm, hard!! He relented and has mostly retired the McCulloch`s, he admits the Stihl`s are easier on his body.
Pioneerguy600

to say the least. . .

There are soo many P&Cs in there that would pump 165psi... When he would get a new saw I would sneak in there at about 4:30 am before work and grab a non epa muffler & a DP..

Last edited by a moderator:
Good step by step pics.!

Thanks,,and great job!!!! :clap:

Piston before and after, compare:

2010%20Trip%20to%20Alaska%201163.jpg

2010%20Trip%20to%20Alaska%201216.jpg

2010%20Trip%20to%20Alaska%201160.jpg

2010%20Trip%20to%20Alaska%201159.jpg

Upper transfers were cut over approx 3.0 mm toward intake side and evened up top and bottom of the port with a little blending toward the intake side. The picts did not turn out so well as I did not have the proper light there this evening, I will try some more picts tomorrow with better lighting.
Pioneerguy600

I don't run mine either. Its a real minty old style 044, I'll just leave it alone.

I don't mind stock saws. My 046 cuts pretty darn well for stock!!

I think I ran a stock saw, around 1985, can`t remember having a work saw since that was not ported. My shelf Queens don`t need no portin.LOL
Pioneerguy600

very nice work!

i got one stock ms440. i told my wife to hide the dremmels where i can't find them!--LOL:chainsaw::greenchainsaw:

Once you do one you want to do all the rest. It's a never ending cycle seems like.

Latest posts

Back