Woods porting a 044, picts heavy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good work and thread Jerry. :cheers:

Thanks AL, somehow I missed your post last evening, this site was so slow and I was trying my best to get all the picts and info loaded up then posted that some how I missed your post, sorry I did not purposely ignore you. I just now was rereading the thread and noticed your post, Thanks Again.
Pioneerguy600

after all that work and as minimal as you went at the cylinder wall i have to wonder if maybe all your gains are from the modded muffler alone.

lol just jokeing, that thing im sure is a screamer

great thread/great muffler

You can safely raise the intake and exhaust port the same amount you drop the cylinder. The amount you drop the cylinder is goverened by the amount of clearance between the cylinderhead and the piston, we refer to this clearance as "squish". Small bores like 40 mm can get by with .015 clearance but this clearance needs to increase with bore diameter, on the 044 at or around 50 mm I like to have .019 clearance. If the base gasket can be eliminated the cylinder can be dropped the thickness of the gasket, say .015 for the sake of arguments, if there is still .019 or more clearance after eliminating the gasket then the engine can be run without the gasket and the intake and exhaust ports can be raised .015, the same amount that the cylinder was dropped.
Pioneerguy600

Also would like to add, I didn't see if you mentioned it. When droping the cylinder by removing the base gasket, your also lowering the intake port in relation to the piston, thus increasing intake duration, this is a good thing though, most saws will benefit from this.

Sharing what little knowledge and experiences I have is all part of belonging to this forum, Pioneerguy600

Excellent Thread. I wish I could give more rep than I can. You said it best, this forum is all about us helping eachother to learn from experience, and past mistakes, and to make each of us better at what we do.:clap:

after all that work and as minimal as you went at the cylinder wall i have to wonder if maybe all your gains are from the modded muffler alone.

lol just jokeing, that thing im sure is a screamer

great thread/great muffler

Thanks Evan,I tried out the saw before shipping it back and there is definitely a nice increase in power over stock. The 044 has been my favorite saw for more than 10 years now, all of my own running 044`s are woods ported and I would have a hard time just running a stock one for any length of time, it seems that I get impatient waiting for it to finally cut its way through any given size of wood.
Pioneerguy600

As long as the pics get uploaded to AS, they will never be gone. That's why I always tell people to learn how to do it, instead of using a photo hosting service.

Hey Pioneerguy600, this used to be one of your best threads, but ...... your pics are dead, making the thread pretty useless now. :cry:

yeah, I ran accross this thread while searching and thought YES, I found a thread that would be great for my 044 that I can mod, and then no pics......awwwww.

Make some notes to compare before and after.

2010%20Trip%20to%20Alaska%201161.jpg

2010%20Trip%20to%20Alaska%201162.jpg

2010%20Trip%20to%20Alaska%201163.jpg

Great Thread but the pics are gone

I will now list the sizes of the improved flow of the ports.
Exhaust port cylinder side
Stock=27.13 mm wide
after=31.79 mm wide
stock=14.08 high
after =14.95 high

Intake port cylinder side
Stock= 28.71 mm wide
after= 30.71 mm wide
stock= 15.08 mm high
after=16.15 mm high

piston windows
Stock=6.92 mm wide
after =9.60 mm wide
stock=12.34 mm high
after = 15.34 mm high

exhaust port at muffler
stock=28.51 mm wide
after= 32.65 mm wide
stock= 18.83 mm high
after = 22.15 mm high

Piston skirt width exhaust side=33.87 -31.79=2.08/2=1.04 on each side for seal
Piston skirt width intake side= 33.85 -30.71 =3.14/2= 1.12 on each side for seal
The muffler, heat deflector and gaskets were ground to fit the exhaust port.
Awesome measurements, thanks! I think I will compare my porting and see if I took too much off.

Latest posts

Back