Wookend fun in Texas

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pecan is a hickory, if that helps on the firewood question.  It's not quite as good as shagbark; more along the lines of bitternut (which ain't shabby).  I've never cooked with pecan but imagine it's top-notch for that.  Ten bucks for a wheelbarrowfull that size is quite fair (more so if fully dried) for a residential area like that, especially mixed with a good oak.  It looks like it'd be about one-thirty or one-forty a cord that way.

The whole pecan pile looks to be about as much wood as I got from a pecan I removed about a month ago.  It was evidently never comfortable with it's location and the grain was about as twisted as elm.  Too bad it was a dual stem tree and shaped the way it was; we'd rather have dropped some on the woodmizer than split it all.

Glen

Most of the folks wanting Pecan here are looking to smoke meat with it. Sold two cords of it last winter to a person who was doing a lot of cooking.

Yes, I do get $10 for that wheelbarrow load of wood. Have sold two or three hundred of them in the past few months. Makes a lot more scense than 4 pieces of wood for $5 that the convienance stores here sellng for.

Hal

Pecan is a sweter wood to smoke with. Mesquite has a sharp and distinct flavor. Oak is more in the middle and Pecan is more on the mild side.

Most of what I ahve sold in the wheelbarrow is Oak and has been dead for a while and down for from several weeks to several months, depending on the time of year. Right now I have been selling wood just about a fast as I can cut and split it. Do it as a hobby - to get away from computers all of the time.

Hal

Latest posts

Back